3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   So hungry please help!!!! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/249733-so-hungry-please-help.html)

prillabong 01-04-2012 02:29 PM

So hungry please help!!!!

Any advice on how not to go hungry with a low calorie allowance? Currently I can eat around 1200 a day and find that I'm so hungry basically all the time!! lol.

What do you eat as snacks and meals?

lucindaarrowspark 01-04-2012 02:44 PM

I drink luke warm black coffee during the day to squash my cravings. I also have been eating hot and spicy foods with out added fat.
right now I am munching on a combination of lightly sauteed kale, sweet peppers, 1/2 cup of black beans, a tomatoe and 2 chipoltes in adobe sauce..
vegan, kosher and low fat low calories.

stillwagontsl 01-04-2012 02:44 PM

Can you give us an idea of what makes up your 1200 calories?

K9Owner 01-04-2012 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stillwagontsl (Post 4156453)

BUMP!

sontaikle 01-04-2012 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stillwagontsl (Post 4156453)

Yes this. 1200 calories of veggies, fruits and lean proteins will be a lot more food than 1200 calories of processed food.

Munchy 01-04-2012 03:38 PM

I eat about 1200 a day. Most of my work days look like this:

B: Some kind of high fiber wrap (71 calories) or high fiber bread (100), with an egg white (20) cooked with a handful of baby spinach (5) with 1/2 oz neufchatel (35) or 1/2 oz goat cheese (35) or a 2% cheese slice (60). Sometimes added sliced deli turkey (50), turkey bacon (35), or homemade turkey sausage (50). I've even put sofrito or hot sauce on for another (10).

S: 1 serving of fruit (100)

L: 1 cup of homemade low calorie soup (150)

S: 1 cup baby carrots (75), 1.5oz hummus (120)

D: Varies so much - one serving of healthy meal for about 300-400 calories. I love soup, chili, stew, rice and beans, curries with rice, but I make a lot of recipes from www.skinnytaste.com.

S: 1 bag of Trade Joes individual popcorn (130) or another snack food that is similar in calories. Sometimes even a cup of soup.

Munchy 01-04-2012 03:49 PM

This is a great thread on bulking up your food too:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/calo...-calories.html

CherryQuinn 01-04-2012 03:55 PM

1200 calories of junk and 1200 calories of actual food is a big diff. i stayed with my parents for 3 days over xmas and they only had junk food in the house. so a 300 calorie 'meal' of potato chips would have me starving a half hour later where as normally that would last me 3 hours. eat healthier foods and youll have a lot more food to eat, alot more.

duckyyellowfeet 01-04-2012 04:11 PM

Well, without a clear idea of what your 1200 calories consists of, its hard to know. Upping protein can help a lot, as it keeps you fuller longer. I find a protein with a simple carb is really helpful to curb hunger pains (an apple with a low-fat cheese stick, for example)

Water or hot herbal tea really help me. A lot of the time, i think I'm hungry, but I'm really thirsty.

I also find that I eat when bored, not hungry. It helps to take a walk, clean out a closet, clean the bathroom....anything to get moving.

mizzie 01-04-2012 04:35 PM

I'll echo what everyone else is saying to eat fiber and protein, drink a lot of water and also to make sure you 1200 calories is made up of lean meats, fruit, veggies, whole grains and low fat dairy (not processed food).

Also, try to eat smaller meals more often. I find that having a low calorie snack mid morning or mid afternoon helps tide me over until my next meal. Just account for that. That also helps stave off the worst of the hunger pains so you won't be as tempted to binge at your next meal. (not saying you do that, just a general piece of advice)

If you are doing that and you still find you get hungry between meals, one trick I've used is to chew gum. It sort of tricks your body into thinking you are eating when you aren't. Ever notice how hunger pains disappear within 2-3 bites?

Beck 01-04-2012 04:46 PM

I agree with everyone that we need to see what sort of foods are making up the 1200 calories. If you are eating high fiber, nutrient-dense foods, then that `1200 calories will fill you up and keep you satisfied much longer than empty calories.

Also, how long have you been eating this amount? Your body will adjust to the change, but it does take some time. In addition, there are times of the month when I am more hungry, pre-ovulation mainly, and I feel like I could just eat and eat, but I tell myself that hunger is not an emergency, have a cup of tea with stevia, and wait for the hunger to pass (or I hop on the exercise bike to distract myself).

You also might want to try eating in a range of calories instead of just aiming for a concrete number. You might eat less one day (1100) and feel the need for more the next (1400); it's easier to maintain a calorie range than a fixed amount.

Justwant2Bhealthy 01-04-2012 04:53 PM

Eat more NUTRIENT-RICH FOODS: things like lean proteins (esp fish & poultry; you can have almost double for the same calories as beef or pork); dairy; fruit; lots of salads & soups are very filling; veggies in general, esp things like spinach, broccoli, caulifower, carrots, yams/sweet potatoes, green beans -- bright, colorful veggies are best.

BTW ~ you must be getting quite trim at 121 lbs; make sure you are eating enuff -- many people accidently under-count their daily total. For snacks, have apples, pears, semi-ripe bananas, apricots, peaches, strawberries* (very filling); and/or cheeze or peanut butter.

MOcha coffee: use 1/2 tsp coffee + 1 tsp cocoa ; or 1/2 tsp coffee + 1 tbl ovaltine is great for a snack. Even a glass of milk or soup broth; and jello are all great fillers and tide you over between meals. :D

luckymommy 01-04-2012 04:53 PM

For me, it helps to postpone my first meal of the day (I save more calories for the evening, when I like to eat the most). I'll have hot coffee in the morning and that keeps me feeling full for a long time. I also find that when I do eat, it helps to have protein as the primary source of calories first thing. A hard boiled egg, some turkey, some string cheese perhaps or egg whites with salsa. I also agree with calorie cycling being a good alternative. Finally, I used to eat 1200 calories and I lost weight a bit faster, but now, I'm aiming for 1400 calories and am losing slower, but am finding it a lot less torturous. ;)

JohnP 01-04-2012 05:20 PM

A couple thoughts -

You might want to look into intermittent fasting. In simplified form it is as easy as just not eating until lunch. Many people find this helpful after the adjustment period.

I don't know why you want to weigh 112 lbs and I'm not normally questioning people's goals but I can only assume you're working with vanity lbs at this point. Thus you might want to consider weight lifting which can affect how you look much more so than weighing less.

Moondance 01-04-2012 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munchy (Post 4156538)
I love soup, chili, stew, rice and beans, curries with rice, but I make a lot of recipes from www.skinnytaste.com

This looks like a great site! Thanks for sharing. I'll be checking it out this week!