Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-01-2012, 04:09 PM   #1  
Playing to Lose

S/C/G: 194/ticker/129

Height: 5' 1"

Default Where were you one year ago today and where are you now?

My weight loss journey officially started on Monday, January 3rd. I was in a size 18, my heaviest ever and an emotional mess making very destructive decisions. I didn't have many friends either.

This year has bought on a lot of positive changes physically and emotionally. I lost 50+ pounds, am a size 6/8, I have friends again, my confidence is back, my self esteem is getting better and I am SO THANKFUL I have found this site and all the wonderful ladies and gentleman who have lended support and encouragement.

I can't say there have been a lot of negatives except for moments when I had to face regrets, deal with "diet haters" and going broke from buying new woredrobes!

So, I'd love to know, where were you one year ago today? Were you starting your journey like me? What changes have you realized about yourself over the past year? What was your most major accomplishment?

Last edited by ShanIAm; 01-01-2012 at 04:11 PM.
ShanIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 04:14 PM   #2  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

A year ago I had managed to lose eight pounds but slipped back into old habits as I began my last semester of graduate school. I was a size 14 back then and 192 pounds. I felt great that I lost eight pounds but I really wanted to do more.

It's hard to believe that now I'm a teacher and in charge of making sure that the needs of my special needs students are met when just a year ago I was nervous about starting student teaching! I've come so far in my career thus far and I can't wait to see how far I go in the next year.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 04:36 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 210/210/165

Height: 5'8"

a year ago today..i was 40 pounds heavier, and completley nutritionally oblivious. it wasnt until after a family trip to visit our out of state relatives, and binging on home-made cookies, did i decide to ask a co-worker how she had recently lost 20 pounds. She told me about counting calories, and that sparked a knowledge-seeking fire in me, and still today, i am googling diet strategies and nutritional information in my free time. I am so much more knowledgeable than i was a year ago, and i'm excited to see where the next months are going to take me.
RookaWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 04:50 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 217/ticker/115

Height: 5'0"

One year ago today, I was about 215-220 pounds, wearing a size 16/18 in pants and an XL/1X in tops. I may have been heavier, but refused to step on the scale. I didn't have the determination to begin my new life until the end of May, but since then, I've lost a few ounces shy of 70 pounds.

I wear a size 8 comfortably and small-medium in tops. The daily NSVs are immeasurable at times, but most significant to me is the pride and sense of accomplishment I feel. It keeps me going!

But what I'm most thankful for...the people who've supported my journey. My DH, my daughters, my family, my friends, my coworkers (my admin, who runs into my office and intercepts anyone trying to offer me sweets, LOL!) AND the amazing people on this forum who have cheered me on and listened to me complain when my scale was not cooperating. I've learned so much from folks here. I'm 7 months in, but think I've found a rhythm I can stick to for life.
dogdaysofdiets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 05:06 PM   #5  
Maintaining Mommy

S/C/G: 280/128/<135

Height: 5' 4.5"

A year ago today I was depressed, discouraged and very, very unhappy with myself. I hated the way I looked and felt, but forefront in my mind was that I'd been TTC for a year and it hadn't happened. I was hoping that with my next appt with the Dr. we could start doing some testing or something to figure out why I wasn't conceiving. Instead, after checking some hormone levels and finding them mostly normal, I was told the reason I couldn't conceive was my weight. I already hated myself and my weight so much and had for years, and it was devastating to hear that it was my own fault that I couldn't get pregnant, something I wanted so badly. My only choices were to cry and feel sorry for myself or to try making a change, and so I began working on losing weight the next day, Jan 18.

Eleven and a half months later, I have lost 125 lbs. Over the course of this year I learned that my weight wasn't the reason for my infertility (though it certainly wasn't helping anything), and though I was angry for a while about the hurt and pain that hearing that caused last January, I am now so grateful. Without that I don't think I would ever have started losing weight. I didn't know how and I had never tried because I was certain I would fail, and it took hearing something like that to force me to try.

It has been a rough year in many ways, but I am so grateful for the ways in which I've changed my life this year. I am so much healthier, and I know I am far stronger today in every way (physically, emotionally, mentally) than I was a year ago. I am stronger than I thought I was, than I thought I could ever be.
chickadee32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 05:31 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 220 Jan '11, 199 Try 2/186/160

Height: 5' 8"

I started my 'new lifestyle' January 2011. I was obese at 220 pounds having gained about 40 pounds in one year dealing the illness and death of my mother - self medicated with Blue Bell Ice Cream. By June I got down to 177. Since then I have regained 5 of those pounds (most in the last few weeks with bad habits rearing their ugly head), but I know I can and will lose them again. I hope to reach my original goal of 160 or 60 pounds lost by losing another 22 pounds in the next 3 months. Easily doable since I learned the skills last year. I am not disappointed that I didn't reach goal last year and instead stalled (by choice) in the summer, but it taught me maintenance skills. Still need to learn that holiday baking does't mean I have to overindulge (and indulge, lol) and keep running (something that slacked around November --opps).
My pictures from the last 2 New Years Eve tell the dramatic story of what a difference 40 pounds can make. That is all the motivation I need to anticipate the what the next 20 can do. Happy New Year everyone!
NTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 05:40 PM   #7  
Maintaining Mommy

S/C/G: 280/128/<135

Height: 5' 4.5"

NTexas, you look wonderful! And your husband looks slimmer as well - kudos to you both!
chickadee32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 05:56 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 278/ticker/150

Height: 5'4''

A year ago I weighed 255 and set a goal of getting to onederland by today. I ended up gaining up to 263 from that point until finally getting back on board in September. Since then, I've gotten down to 228 which wasn't my goal but I'm still really happy with it. I've really made fitness a focus in the last four months- last year at this time I couldn't run for more than a minute at a time- last week, I ran for an entire mile without stopping. I've also found a way of eating that I think will work for me long term, and I feel good about it. I'm looking forward to the next year and I know I am going to have a good year. My goal for next year is the same as last year- to be under 200 pounds. The difference this time is last year, I didn't really believe it was possible. This year, I know there's no reason it can't happen if I put the work in.
kylonaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:25 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

One year ago I had lost just over 80 pounds and hit a bit of a stall at 262. I was exercising some and practicing portion control. I had not bought any new clothes and my clothes hung off of me, but I didn't really see myself as much thinner, so I didn't buy any new clothes.

I got a lot of compliments at Christmas time about my weight loss, but when I saw pictures of that day I started bawling like a baby.

I feel much fitter and happier today.
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:29 PM   #10  
Back to Basics!

S/C/G: 187/127/125

Height: 5' 2.5"

A year ago I weighed in at my doctor at 187..highest in my LIFE! It shocked me enough to change a few bad eating habits, but I didn't overhaul my life until May.

This past year has seen me RECLAIM the me that I always was until I had children. I learned to put myself at the top of the priority list more and I feel younger, hotter and happier than I have in a long time.
ChickieChicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:02 PM   #11  
Optimistic cynic

S/C/G: 220/209/180

A year ago, I weighed 225 and stayed that weight through my worst busy season ever at work, which was actually a bit of a victory. Then I had some kidney issues in June and realized I had to change what I ate. I started calorie counting in July and am down 60 pounds. I exercise every day and feel fitter than I have in decades. I've had a couple of emotional blows recently but haven't used it as an excuse to go back to my crazy eating and that makes me happy and proud of myself. Having tools like Lose It and this forum has been enormously helpful!
Steph7409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:28 AM   #12  
Sarah

S/C/G: 350/184/180

Height: 6'

A year ago today, I weighed myself for the first time in prob a few months and was extreamly excited to see the scale had dipped to 212 pounds, and to be honest, thought I was looking kinda alright. I was working a crappy job, with a crappy boss, about 65-70 hours a week. I had just moved to a different state, to work at a resort company, and because of my job schedule, was finding it impossible to make friends. Completely miserable. Didn't really feel good about myself at all...

now a year later: I ended up quitting that job and going to a more relaxed one for the same company. In oct I moved across country and am now working at an amazing restaurant . I have lost 18 pounds but thats ok. I'm finally becoming comfortable in my skin and my self-esteem has def. risen

I definitely had a rough year, due to alot of personal issues beyond my control, but i've become a stronger person because of it. I can only imagine what changes will be ahead in the next year and i'm looking forward to it
baker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:32 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 286/153/155

Height: 5'9

A year ago today, I probably weighed 286. I am not sure, I wasn't eating healthy or even looking at my weight. I didn't get any exercise. At the end of May, I decided to give it a whole year and see if I could loose 100 lbs. I decided that where ever I was at the end of the year was better then where I would be if I didn't do anything. I decided to start then and have lost 80 lbs in 7 months. I have learned a great deal about how my body works, what healthy eating feels like and that I actually like to exercise and move my body. I have gained confidence in myself that I can make a big change in my life and that I am directly responsible for my weight and that I can do something about it. I have been very open about my diet, my weight where I started and how much weight I lost. I have inspired other people at my work to start eating healthier and exercise. I am working on being more positive. I post regularly in the gratitude thread and that has also changed my life for the better. On this forum, I have found out how nice it is to be with other people who are struggling with the same things I am. I like being able to ask for help, advice and support as well as give it. 2011 has been a year of great change for me in so many different ways. I think it has been one of my biggest change years in my whole life. I feel like what I do and the choices I make have such a big impact on my life. For the first time, I feel like I am in control of my weight. It was sort of surprising to me to be able to feel like this.
Madame Souza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:12 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 202/195/140

Man...a year ago today I weighed around 150-155. Sooo...yeah.

The good news is that I now have a more clear vision of what it will take to get this weight off and keep it off. This time last year I was on a diet. Now, I am NOT on a diet, I'm gradually changing my lifestyle and habits. This time last year I was trying to lose weight by eating less (much less). Now, I'm losing weight by eating RIGHT. And exercising.

This time last year I had the most stressful job ever, had horrible landlords, and had no direction in my life. Now, I have a great job, peaceful living situation, and I have a pretty clear plan of where i want my life to go.

What hasn't changed? I'm married to my best friend, and our relationship gets better every day. I have two great dogs who never fail to make me giggle. I have an amazing family and support system. I love my 3FC family!

Looking forward to 2012!
ArtyKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:51 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 310/252/200

Height: 5' 6"

I started my weight loss this time on January 6, 2011 and I weighed 317 lbs
Today January 2, 2012 I weigh 225 having gained 15 lbs during this Holiday Season.

Larry,
Larry H is offline   Reply With Quote