Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-20-2011, 03:17 PM   #16  
Sarah

S/C/G: 350/184/180

Height: 6'

Alot of studies have shown that adding peanut butter to your weightloss plan helps with losing weight. Its very nutritious and very filling after a small amount, so you end up eating less overall thanks to all the fiber and protein. I wouldn't worry about eating 2 Tablespoons of the stuff. You should be eating it more regulary is my only advice....

Personally, I can't stand the stuff. It brings back bad memories of soggy pb&j sandwiches in elementry school...xD prob why I don't like jelly either...

Last edited by baker23; 12-20-2011 at 03:18 PM.
baker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 03:29 PM   #17  
Lord of the Jeans

Height: 5'4''

Thanks again for the input, everyone!
I think one can pay TOO much attention to what they're eating and start to pick every little thing apart until they're just not satisfied with anything, and I realllllllly don't want that to happen!
I know not all fats are bad. And it's true, the fats I do eat could be coming from way worse sources, right??
You ladies have obviously been at this way longer than I have! I appreciate every comment!
leaningonthelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 04:48 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

FWIW I live on peanut butter!! I think it is one of the better things I eat!
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:09 PM   #19  

Height: 5'3"

Peanut butter, in moderate amounts is good for you. Make sure it is the natural kind. No hydrogenated oils or sugars.
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:27 PM   #20  
Lord of the Jeans

Thanks for the replies ladies! I will try to buy some healthier peanut butter. I did buy the reduced fat jif once and it was pretty good. But then i bought the regular kind because it was cheaper :P
Old 12-20-2011, 05:31 PM   #21  
Every pound is a victory

S/C/G: 263/147/?

Height: 5' 6"

Yep, I eat pb almost daily and have lost over 80 pounds. It's a great food!
rainydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:06 PM   #22  

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaningonthelord View Post
Thanks for the replies ladies! I will try to buy some healthier peanut butter. I did buy the reduced fat jif once and it was pretty good. But then i bought the regular kind because it was cheaper :P
Skip the reduced fat stuff. They add sugar to it to replace the fat they took out. What you want is the all natural kind. No other ingredients other than peanuts and perhaps salt if you cannot find an only peanuts version. The one I buy is just peanuts.

Last edited by canadianwoman; 12-20-2011 at 06:07 PM.
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:43 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 202/195/140

Its worth the extra money to get the natural stuff...especially if you're only eating a tablespoon or two at a time.

Also..almond butter, cashew butter...mmmmmmm
ArtyKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:42 AM   #24  
is chubby

You NEED fat in your diet.

Just consider peanut butter to belong to the class of fats like olive oil and margarine when it comes to your calorie counting and planning.
A healthy woman should eat about 60gr of fat a day and most of those should be healthy fats.

The body cannot build fatty acids on its own and lack of those damages the heart in particular and other organs.

There must be a ballance in everything food related, no extremes.
Chubbykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:50 AM   #25  
Lord of the Jeans

Thanks so much guys- I was oblivious to the amount of good fats you should have every day, but now I'm getting an idea of it.
ArtyKay mentioned cashew butter and almond butter...do they taste as good as peanut butter? What about that Nutella stuff? They have a chocolate kind I've been thinking about trying...
Old 12-21-2011, 10:56 AM   #26  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

Everyone is right on target. I just want to add that I would NOT measure my PB, I would weigh it. Since it is SO calorie-dense, it's quite easy to eat way more than 2 tbs, even with measuring.

Check out this very short demonstration to see how: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:05 AM   #27  

S/C/G: 202/195/140

Almond butter tastes like almonds. If you like almonds, you'll like it. Cashew butter is a bit milder (I prefer almond butter, I like the stronger taste.).

I love nutella...Only thing about nutella is that there is a ton of sugar and saturated fat. Not necessarily horrible for you, but I would definitely steer more towards the natural nut butters that are primarily nuts and not a bunch of added sugars and oils and salt.

I LOVE nuts and seeds of all kinds, mmmmmm...perfect snack.

ETA: There IS a natural hazelnut butter...I haven't tried it, but I want to. If its the chocolate hazelnut flavor you want, it might be better to buy some hazelnut butter without all the added junk and just make your own chocolate version with it.

Last edited by ArtyKay; 12-21-2011 at 11:09 AM.
ArtyKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:09 PM   #28  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

I'm right there with berryblondeboys, it makes me so mad that fat gets demonized. So much health damage is done by a low fat diet, given what ingredients have been used to replace fat in foods. It is essential for good health, plays a huge role in satiety, and is one of the nutritional substances that I cannot believe gets such a bad wrap.

Please do some reading here to put your mind at ease:
http://www.westonaprice.org/know-you...skinny-on-fats

Last edited by Arctic Mama; 12-21-2011 at 12:11 PM.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:30 PM   #29  
Lord of the Jeans

ArtyKay thanks for the info on all the different butters! When we go shopping tomorrow I will check some different ones out and I'll pay special attention to the sugar/sugar substitute content. I'm not a big nut fan unless they're baked into something.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:35 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

At pretty much every grocery store you should be able to find natural peanut butter. Even smuckers makes one.

I buy mine from Trader Joe's because it's relatively inexpensive. If you look at the ingredients, it should only list peanuts or peanuts and salt.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote