Gaining weight while sick?

• Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I've been sick for about 4 days now, and during that time, my weight has steadly gone up...Its just a cold, but i'm not eating very much and yet I'm still gaining. I haven't taken any cold medicine or even advil. I just like it to pass naturally. Could it be water retention? Or is my body just holding onto any calories it gets, as I am not eating much?
  • Water retention for sure. Your body goes into protective mode when you're ill. As soon as you're recovered, you'll whoosh it off. Good luck and I hope you feel better soon!
  • Thanks for saving me the trouble of posting the same exact question! I have been sick, barely able to eat 500 calories a day (because I'm sleeping for most of it) but I haven't had many liquids either. I got on the scale this morning thinking something good might come from being ill but all I saw was a 1.5 pound gain! Grrr! Im thinking (HOPING!) it is water retention too because I just can't imagine my metabolism shutting down after only a couple days of eating very little. But maybe it can? No idea. I'm looking forward to more responses.

Hope you are feeling better!
  • Thanks Dogdaysofdiets Seriously hoping it is water retention. Freakin scale...Gonna ignore it for the next week and see what happens. Hopefully it will whoosh right off

And same to you ShanIam ... Hope you feel better soon. Freakin cold and flu season. -.-...
  • I just got my wisdom teeth out and the same this happened to me!! Barely eating and ive gained 3 lbs