Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-18-2011, 06:02 PM   #16  
Sufferer of abibliophobia

S/C/G: 206/ticker/150

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by teagal View Post
muscle weighs more than fat. is it possible you have better muscle tone?
In 24hrs? No. It is possible her muscles are retaining water from working out. And muscles don't weigh more, a pound is a pound is a pound, muscle is more dense however.
pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 08:58 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 301/147/147

Height: 5'8"

Hi everyone, I have been guilty of weighing myself obsessively before (sometimes twice daily) but have learned the error of my ways.

I have always been an advocate of body measurements, these are far more accurate and telling of what is really going on. Try to move away from the scales for a while and whip out your tape measure x
lossforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 11:51 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 230/149/138

Height: 5'6

Oh my, don't pay attention to day-to-day gains & losses! Your body fluctuates so much that it'll just drive you crazy. And it really has nothing to do with muscle build vs. fat -- it takes a good 8 weeks to build lean muscle, not 24 hours -- it's likely water weight (I don't think the food you eat can even convert to fat in that amount of time).
Lunula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 09:58 PM   #19  
STREET DOG

S/C/G: 231/230/145

Height: 5'8"

Get out of my mind, OP!

I've been weighing daily for almost five months now; while I recognize that fluctuation is normal and I have accepted it, I was aghast to see that I'm 2.3kg (5lbs!) heavier than I was yesterday (which happened to be a new low 1.8kg lower than my previous). Incredibly upsetting!

In order to make sense of the number, I input yesterday's calories as faithfully as I could from memory–I went to a party and snacked random foods through the evening–and I can see a number of likely culprits: lack of water, almost 3000mg of sodium, 76% calories from carbs, too much booze. Although it hurts to look and realize that I ate almost 3500kcal, it's better knowing that there is a reason I'm up today so I can combat it.
Kahokkuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:37 PM   #20  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Fluctuations are only upsetting because we allow them to be, because we think that we shouldn't see them. If we realized just how normal they were, we wouldn't be so easily discouraged by them.

You can only be disappointed, discouraged, or frustrated when your reality doesn't meet your expectations. When your surpass your expectations, disappointment isn't the result, elation is.

I "cured" myself of fluctuation disappointment by not just weighing daily, by truly educating myself on all the possible sources of fluctuation.

I didn't just weigh daily, I weighed dozens of times per day. Before and after meals. Before and after exercising. Before and after dressing. Before and after going to the potty, drinking, eating.....

And I learned that there are so many sources of fluctuations that it's absolutely insane to expect the scale to be at the same exact number for days and weeks at a time.

Weight maintenance isn't about seeing a magic number forever, it's about staying in a target range forever (or until the range no longer works for you). And you're going to be a lot happier, if you set that range within a seven to ten pounds (several pounds above and below the middle) than one or two pounds.

When you realize that just drinking one large glass of water or eating a very large, but low-calorie salad will make you "gain a pound" on the scale until you've peed or pooped it out, it seems ridiculous to expect to never see a scale fluctuation.

Just eating more or fewer carbs can change the amount of water weight your body needs to carry.

Exercise, illness, injury, hormonal fluctuations, the weight of the digesting food in your stomach, your natural digestive speed, the amount of rest, sleep, and stress you're experiencing, even the weather.... they all can affect your weight on the scale at any given moment.

Weighing more frequently helped me understand and and learn to anticipate the fluctuations, but I had to get rid of the idea that the fluctuations were "unfair," or "bad."

For example, knowing that my body needs extra water to repair injury, makes me realize that when I'm hurt, the "extra" weight I see on the scale after an injury, is not a bad thing. It's a good thing, and that's why the "magic number" is not a good way to view my body.

I would never exercise or never eat, if I was afraid of seeing fluctuations on the scale.

For me, waiting a week didn't help, because if I happened to see a five pound gain, it was that much more traumatic, having to wait a whole nother week to discover whether it was a fluctuation or a "real" gain.

Even now I use the scale to give me "worst case scenario." It's impossible to gain more from a food than the food weighs. Because only fat has 3500 calories per pound (and you have to eat an extra 3500 calories to gain a pound).

That means if I eat a 2 ounce candy bar, at worst I can gain 2 ounces from eating that candy bar. So, if I get on the scale after a food "mistake" I know that my weight on the scale immediately after that mistake is "worst case scenario."

It destroys the logic of "I made a mistake, so I might as well screw up really bady and start fresh tomorrow, or Monday."

I chose to see stepping on the scale as a way to symbolize that every moment is a new opportunity.

When I step on the scale (no matter when I do so), I look at that weight as "worst case scenario." It reminds me that 2 ounces won't cause me to gain 2 lbs, but deciding that another 2 ounces, and another and another will add up very quickly.

No weight by itself "matters" only working towards the direction I am wanting to move, matters.

I also stopped looking at only weight loss as counting as success. "This time" I've been able to lose nearly 100 lbs (almost 30% more than I've ever managed to lose before) only because I decided that "not gaining" was success. So every time I stepped on the scale and it was equal to or lesser than the previous weigh-in, I got to celebrate. And if I learned to understand my fluctations, I could learn to succeed a lot more often than I failed.

But we have to realize that fluctations aren't failure, they're just fluctuations. And some people have to deal with more fluctations than others. If you have a health condition, that even at a healthy weight can lead to five and even ten pound fluctations, you're going to doom yourself to failure, if you consider fluctuations failure.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 11:05 PM   #21  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Eyes View Post
yesterday morning, I weighed 125.5lbs. This morning, I weighed 127.5lbs. What the crap?

Could it all be water weight I'm holding on to? it isn't my TOM, and I didn't eat particularly salty yesterday, either. It's just so frustrating....I worked out 2 different times yesterday for about 20 minutes each, and did pretty well with my eating. I didn't, however, drink much water. I didn't drink much of anything.

Do you think that is my accurate weight? SO discouraging....
Your weight changes during the day. Mornings are lighter than later on during day. Don't check your weight everyday,as it fluxuates from water gains,stress etc. If you don't get the water your system needs your body will hold onto and store it for later use. Don't be so down on yourself,just keep on trying and saying ,tomorrow it will be different. good luck.
birdfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 11:13 PM   #22  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
Fluctuations are only upsetting because we allow them to be, because we think that we shouldn't see them. If we realized just how normal they were, we wouldn't be so easily discouraged by them.

You can only be disappointed, discouraged, or frustrated when your reality doesn't meet your expectations. When your surpass your expectations, disappointment isn't the result, elation is.

I "cured" myself of fluctuation disappointment by not just weighing daily, by truly educating myself on all the possible sources of fluctuation.

I didn't just weigh daily, I weighed dozens of times per day. Before and after meals. Before and after exercising. Before and after dressing. Before and after going to the potty, drinking, eating.....

And I learned that there are so many sources of fluctuations that it's absolutely insane to expect the scale to be at the same exact number for days and weeks at a time.

Weight maintenance isn't about seeing a magic number forever, it's about staying in a target range forever (or until the range no longer works for you). And you're going to be a lot happier, if you set that range within a seven to ten pounds (several pounds above and below the middle) than one or two pounds.

When you realize that just drinking one large glass of water or eating a very large, but low-calorie salad will make you "gain a pound" on the scale until you've peed or pooped it out, it seems ridiculous to expect to never see a scale fluctuation.

Just eating more or fewer carbs can change the amount of water weight your body needs to carry.

Exercise, illness, injury, hormonal fluctuations, the weight of the digesting food in your stomach, your natural digestive speed, the amount of rest, sleep, and stress you're experiencing, even the weather.... they all can affect your weight on the scale at any given moment.

Weighing more frequently helped me understand and and learn to anticipate the fluctuations, but I had to get rid of the idea that the fluctuations were "unfair," or "bad."

For example, knowing that my body needs extra water to repair injury, makes me realize that when I'm hurt, the "extra" weight I see on the scale after an injury, is not a bad thing. It's a good thing, and that's why the "magic number" is not a good way to view my body.

I would never exercise or never eat, if I was afraid of seeing fluctuations on the scale.

For me, waiting a week didn't help, because if I happened to see a five pound gain, it was that much more traumatic, having to wait a whole nother week to discover whether it was a fluctuation or a "real" gain.

Even now I use the scale to give me "worst case scenario." It's impossible to gain more from a food than the food weighs. Because only fat has 3500 calories per pound (and you have to eat an extra 3500 calories to gain a pound).

That means if I eat a 2 ounce candy bar, at worst I can gain 2 ounces from eating that candy bar. So, if I get on the scale after a food "mistake" I know that my weight on the scale immediately after that mistake is "worst case scenario."

It destroys the logic of "I made a mistake, so I might as well screw up really bady and start fresh tomorrow, or Monday."

I chose to see stepping on the scale as a way to symbolize that every moment is a new opportunity.

When I step on the scale (no matter when I do so), I look at that weight as "worst case scenario." It reminds me that 2 ounces won't cause me to gain 2 lbs, but deciding that another 2 ounces, and another and another will add up very quickly.

No weight by itself "matters" only working towards the direction I am wanting to move, matters.

I also stopped looking at only weight loss as counting as success. "This time" I've been able to lose nearly 100 lbs (almost 30% more than I've ever managed to lose before) only because I decided that "not gaining" was success. So every time I stepped on the scale and it was equal to or lesser than the previous weigh-in, I got to celebrate. And if I learned to understand my fluctations, I could learn to succeed a lot more often than I failed.

But we have to realize that fluctations aren't failure, they're just fluctuations. And some people have to deal with more fluctations than others. If you have a health condition, that even at a healthy weight can lead to five and even ten pound fluctations, you're going to doom yourself to failure, if you consider fluctuations failure.
How true on it all. I read also,falling down is not a failure,staying down is the failure.
We need the water for our bodys to do everything it needs,but also we need the water to help flush out the fat we are losing.
birdfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 11:14 PM   #23  
Not Giving Up

S/C/G: 147/ticker/fit

Height: 5' 0.7"

Don't let daily fluctuations discourage you. It affected me a lot in the beginning but now I know it's really nothing to be concerned about. You couldn't have eaten 7000 calories over what you normally consume. I gained 2 lbs overnight but that was because of the pickles I've eaten (lots of sodium). The weight will come off in a few days.
Ryler832 is offline   Reply With Quote