Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-15-2011, 12:40 AM   #16  
Less of a Better Me

What is everyone using for graphs. I have excel and do terribly at getting it to work (if anyone has any link to a tutorial, please let me know).

What other programs are people using for graphs? My excel who is all scrunched up and I have to break it into sections. I really want one where I can put in years of points.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:54 AM   #17  
Vegetarian, Low carb

S/C/G: 180/168.1/120

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koshka View Post
What is everyone using for graphs. I have excel and do terribly at getting it to work (if anyone has any link to a tutorial, please let me know).

What other programs are people using for graphs? My excel who is all scrunched up and I have to break it into sections. I really want one where I can put in years of points.
My FitDay PC software makes up the graphs for me based on information I put in. I can graph just about anything.
shr1nk1ngme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:25 AM   #18  
Starting again

S/C/G: 289/ticker/128

Height: 5'4"

My graph is from tickerfactory.
shishkeberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:01 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 285/211/165

Height: 5'6"

This is an iPhone app I have been using since Feb, Target Weight

I have more detailed Excel graphs on my computer at work, I will try to remember to screenshot them tomorrow. Some of the data is pretty cool!

Last edited by juliana77; 11-15-2011 at 02:12 AM.
juliana77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:25 AM   #20  
learning maintenance

S/C/G: 159/120/118

Height: 5' 3.5"

keep 'em coming. these are good.

koshka - my graph is excel too, but it is a bit of a fuss to set up, there seem to be better options out there.

juliana - wow - textbook 45 degree angle stuff for a whole year. that's an amazing plot. look how consistent you are!

carter - sorry i didn't see your original thread, ill go looking for it now though so that i can see even more graphs! Your's tells a good story though.

esofia - it was because i saw your graph linked to your signature somewhere else that i was prompted to start this thread. Your graphs are absolute crackers!!

runningfromfat - ok, you win so far. 15yrs worth - going to be tricky to beat that!

shishkeberry - yours looks good and sensible at first glance, but in actual fact its pretty spectacular when you squint at the numbers. you've done amazingly well this year!

zinkemomx2 - two different stories in two different graphs. Like my current weight plot too. Also like my job in a way - represent the same data but using different scales to suit the story you're trying to tell....

Last edited by ange82much; 11-15-2011 at 03:28 AM. Reason: far too many exclamation marks (!!)
ange82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:38 AM   #21  
shwerk

S/C/G: 274/158/145

Height: 5'7"

My Weight Chart:
gagalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:31 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

Wow, some of you have so much data!

Rana - now there's a pretty looking graph, and very nice progress too. What was the temporary dip/downwards spike a few months ago, out of curiosity?

Koshka - well, my signature one takes you to the website where you can look at other people's graphs and set your own one up. It's cool in many ways, although there are a few in which it annoys me (e.g. that totally pointless BMI graph which makes the page harder to read). I've just added painkillers to the "events" (listed as "diet pills", they really don't have many options for adding your own data) and it's interesting to see how they make my weight rise temporarily about 2/3 of the times I take them.

Then there's the FitDay PC option, where you can graph just about anything. I've got that too, I just couldn't be bothered to do screenshots. It's probably better if you want to be able to look at more than a couple of months' data on your screen at once. It's paid software but I hear that you can torrent it if you want to go the not-exactly-legal route. It's worth knowing that the current PC version of FitDay is pretty old. They're trialling a beta version at the moment, and high time too, but it's web only. Come to that, the web version is free and you may be able to do fairly nifty graphs in that as well.

For spreadsheet graphs, I use the Open Office spreadsheet software. It's very similar to Excel but I think you can do a bit more with the graphs. A basic graph should be easy to set up, you just put in a column of data, select the cells, hit the little button in the toolbar, for creating graphs and charts, and go for a line graph. If you want to do anything fancier, such as a graph with curves or several types of data at once, this takes a bit more practice. I actually use spreadsheets for symptom diaries and graphs and such, and I can do really nifty graphs on there even though I still don't have a clue how to use a spreadsheet in the conventional fashion! I might do a screenshot of my graphs for measurements later, they're quite cool.
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:38 AM   #23  
Back to Basics!

S/C/G: 187/127/125

Height: 5' 2.5"

Here is mine. I weighed in much more frequently, but this is the general chart with weights every 6-10 days.

I weighed in at my doctor in January at 187,and was mortified. I ate better, but didnt really do anything special. When I officially started my weight loss in May, I was down to 173.
Attached Files
File Type: doc weight loss chart1.doc (93.5 KB, 11 views)
ChickieChicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:13 AM   #24  
Vegetarian, Low carb

S/C/G: 180/168.1/120

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esofia View Post
Then there's the FitDay PC option, where you can graph just about anything.
I know, right? I can practically graph the size of my left nostril over time!

I particularly like that I can get a pie chart of the consumption of any nutrient by food, by meal, by mood, even.
shr1nk1ngme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:42 AM   #25  
Sufferer of abibliophobia

S/C/G: 206/ticker/150

Height: 5'7"

On FitDay I've set my goal date as my sister-in-law's wedding, in which I am the matron-of-honor.

pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:49 AM   #26  

Nice progress you're making there. I like being ahead of the target line earlier on, because most people slow down as they near their target so it should even out in the end.

Kahokkuri, could you be a dear and edit your post to include a smaller image? The one you've put in is so wide that it's stretched this entire comment thread way off to the side of my screen, and I have to keep scrolling horizontally to read the text.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:45 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 285/211/165

Height: 5'6"

Ok, I got all my big nerd charts.

The first one is my favorite. Each line starts on the first day of my menstrual cycle. It is so cool to me how consistent the shapes are, especially the last 2 weeks of each month. I have the line equations on there so I can compare the slope from month to month.

Next is my weekly weight ins with trendline projection, one straight line and one logarithmic to kind of give me a ballpark range.

Next is by calendar month, mostly daily. Ho-hum.

And finally, daily fluctuations. Basically how many lbs up or down from the prior day.
juliana77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:54 PM   #28  
Starting again

S/C/G: 289/ticker/128

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ange82much View Post
shishkeberry - yours looks good and sensible at first glance, but in actual fact its pretty spectacular when you squint at the numbers. you've done amazingly well this year!
Thank you! I really needed to hear that today! I've been stalled out for a month now and I had minimal losses the month before that. I've been discouraged (haven't quit, but just bummed out) and that was the perfect thing to say to me.
shishkeberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:51 AM   #29  

Juliana77 - I am so glad we didn't have this discussion when I was just starting weight loss, because otherwise I would probably have gone absolutely wild creating far more graphs than any dieter could reasonably need, and I'm already creating too many! Your graphs by menstrual cycle are definitely interesting, and I'd love to see more of those from other people since so many report hormonal fluctuations. It looks like ovulation is what causes water gain for you, am I right?
Old 11-16-2011, 10:10 AM   #30  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esofia View Post
Rana - now there's a pretty looking graph, and very nice progress too. What was the temporary dip/downwards spike a few months ago, out of curiosity?
Norovirus! (or something like that)

I spent a week sick, sick, sick, unable to eat anything except fluids. Of course, I lost 5 lbs in that week and my weight dipped down.

As soon as I was able to eat "normally" my weight went up and then a couple of pounds extra stuck on for the remainder of the summer.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote