Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-26-2011, 04:48 PM   #1  
pursuer of joy

S/C/G: 198/170ish/160-???

Height: 5.6 on a tall day

Default Done, but know I must continue

So today, and I guess this is cyclical, I'm feeling done and over this.

I have reached that point (felt this once before "this time round") that I'm just tired of dieting.

Of course, I've been the same weight for the past 3 weeks, and this week, I've got a .6 gain. Could be hormonal. Could be I'm paying less diligent control to the diet, however, in my own defense, I'm still eating less than 1400 calories daily. I believe (I don't know for sure) that if I step it up and consume 1200 calories the scale should move. However, I'm eating less calories than it takes to maintain my weight, and I'm not losing and now gaining. <---- that is the quizzical part for me. I am trying to trust calorie counting and embrace it...but the scale should be moving down not up even with what I'm doing.

Last month TOM didn't come. Its due now, and may not come. For sure, I'm reading a lot into today's meeting with the scale.

I'm tired. I have a headache. I feel so over this; my enthusiasm is just gone today.

Of course, I will eat "healthy" for dinner and do the same again tomorrow and the next day and the next. Just ugh.

Thanks for listening.
124chicksinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:52 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 319/264/200

Height: 5' 6"

Just a quick question:

Are you sure that you are only consuming 1400 calories? The only way to be sure is to measure and weigh "EVERY THING" many of use me included found that what we had estimated for portions and calorie counts was way off the scale. I was terrible at estimating.

Simple physics works 100% of the time with weight loss. Consume more calories than you burn and you gain weight. Consume less calories than you burn and you will lose weight. It really is that simple. How fast you lose or gain depends on how many calories below or above what you burn that you consume each day.

Ask your doctor to check for thyroid or other medical problems that may be causing you to burn fewer calories than you think that you are.

Good luck, you can do this!!

Larry,
Larry H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:14 PM   #3  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Soooooooo, could you be pregnant?
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:44 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 203/147.8/135

Height: 5'4''

I've felt the same way. I just think I'm over the whole dieting thing. Unfortunately for anyone with a weight problem, it can never just be a diet that we do short term. It has to be forever or the weight will come back. I've realized now that working out just has to be a part of my week every week and that I can't eat whatever the **** I want or I'll be fat. It's sad, but true.

I've eaten SO bad this week. Just because I've made a commitment to change doesn't mean we don't screw up and sometimes our bodies act stupid and gain when we think we should have a loss. My weight watchers leader said. You'll always get what you deserve, it just might not be when you think you deserve it. So, keep it up and the scale will show your hard work! It's ok to slip up. We're humans and battling weight. The key is to never just quit all together! Good luck!
Sunshinenmysoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:00 PM   #5  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

would you be interested in trying low carbing for a while? I too burnt out on calorie counting and once I went off, I couldn't get myself to get back into it, and I tried and tried and tried, it just wouldn't click.

But then I started a very low carb plan in May and I can't even say how easy it has been for me. Yes, the first couple of weeks were tougher, but after that, it's been very easy to stay on plan. And a big part of that is that I don't have to weigh and measure and track. I have my list of foods I can eat, and as long as I stick to the list, I can eat as much as I want of them. (the reality is that low carb is so effective at reducing hunger for me that I don't eat that much, but I don't WANT to eat more than I do anyway).

I know low carb isn't the answer for everyone, but I figured I'd put it out there, since changing things up and starting a different plan from calorie counting was what has been working for me.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:01 AM   #6  
Sufferer of abibliophobia

S/C/G: 206/ticker/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Bell View Post
Soooooooo, could you be pregnant?
That's my thought too. Or some other 'female reproductive' problem. If your period is a full month late you should see a doctor.

pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:51 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 333/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'3"

I SO hear you and sympathize.

First, check to see if you're pregnant. If your TOM is typically regular and it's over a month late it's time to look for a reason (I ask because my own cycle is SO crazy that a month or two is NOT uncommon for me).

Beyond that - I've been where you are. I've calorie counted and fat counted myself crazy and still managed to gain weight on less than what it should be taking to maintain. I had to drop my calories to less than 1000 per day to even get the scales to budge but that just wasn't realistic for me to maintain long term.

Also, I'd start feeling stupid, worthless and like a failure because the MATH says I should have been losing - and quite a lot. I was sure I was doing something wrong. I counted, I portioned, I weighed and measured everything. It SHOULD have worked, but it didn't.

Finally I decided to try something different. I stopped focusing on calories and fat and started focusing on carbs. I drastically cut my carb consumption and weight started falling off.

Calorie counting I was eating around 1000 calories a day, exercising like crazy and in 10 months of concerted effort I lost 4 pounds. Carb counting I've been eating an average of 2200 calories a day and I've lost 57 pounds since May 29. Mathematically this is an impossibility according to the "calorie counts" but it's hard to argue with the fact that it's working.

I guess my point is that maybe you shouldn't be so hard on yourself. Maybe you aren't following your plan well enough for it to work for you OR maybe your body just isn't able to respond the way the 'numbers' say it should?
Sunshine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 03:06 AM   #8  
pursuer of joy

S/C/G: 198/170ish/160-???

Height: 5.6 on a tall day

I know it shouldn't make me chuckle, but a big NO, not preggers. Perimenopausal. Pregnant wasn't even an option in the statement that TOM is missing. I'm technically overdue by 8 weeks....but since I saw the gain, I thought maybe TOM would be appearing this month.

@Larry, yup, I have metobolic issues that work against me, but I'm trying to work against them too.

April and Sunshine--carb counting sounds interesting. I remember counting carbs back in the 80s, and being able to drink wine (I don't drink now, not for years) and eat the cheeseburger, not the bun, etc. I really do love pasta tho, and grains. I am interested, however, in learning exactly what you eat/how you diet and what typically makes up a typical daily menu for each of you.

I think I've just puttered out again. This is sooooo hard.

I know I'm being ridiculous. I'm just putting this out there into the cosmos cuz I'm beyond frustrated, but I know the only thing to do is to ... continue doing something.

These feelings are definitely cyclical.

Thanks all of you for "being there" - I needed that
124chicksinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:02 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 170/153/??

Height: 5'9"

The last 20 lbs are definitely the hardest. It slows to turtle speed! Now, you just need patience. You already know what you are doing works and works well.
Unna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:07 AM   #10  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

My plan is very low carb and also low fat. I eat lean protein, low/no fat dairy and veggies. Plus some oat bran (different from oatmeal) every day. No other grains, sugars or starches. For now, that even includes no fruit but it's worth it to me because I get to add it back once I am at goal and this is the first plan where I have any realistic hopes that will actually happen for me!

My experience is different than Sunshine's in that I am not eating more calories than with calorie counting but still losing weight. It's that low carb reduces my hunger so much that I am eating very few calories but I am never hungry and eat as much as I want to eat of my allowed foods. So, at least for me, the equation still remains "calories in vs. calories out" but the low carb part is what makes it easy to stay low cal and not have any cravings.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:26 AM   #11  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 195/195/170

I just wanted to say thank you for posting this. I am so there right beside your side. Last month I lost like 3 pounds and now we are back to the scale game. It goes up and down, up and back down to the same number but I am not doing anything different.
i am tired and cranky today and so over the calorie counting. Ugh.
Continue on my friend, we will get there.
NEMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:33 PM   #12  

just wanted to offer up a
vanillasunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 01:07 PM   #13  

Switching to low carb was definitely a huge change for my carb loving self. Pasta, potatoes, sugar...YUMMY! *ahem* Unlike April Snow, my diet is not low carb / low fat. It's low carb / high fat / moderate protein. I did some fairly extensive research that led me to believe this would be an optimal diet for me based on my history with weight loss and issues (PCOS, insulin resistance, etc.)

Anyway, I won't lie, making the switch wasn't easy at first. I was like a drug addict going through withdrawals and I don't think that's much of an exaggeration. But after the first few weeks it got MUCH better and now it's almost a normal way of life for me.

As for my daily diet:
I generally eat 2 - 3 eggs fried in butter for breakfast.

Lunch might be chicken salad (no bread of course), left overs from the night before or if I'm in a bind I'll grab a sandwich from somewhere and just eat the burger with a side of salad with full fat salad dressing.

Dinner will generally be some form of protein (pork chops, burgers, ground chicken or turkey, etc.), paired with a low starch veggie dish. Or, like tonight, I'm planning to make a low carb taco bake - Yummy!

I had a really difficult time letting go of the low fat / low calorie mindset but it clearly seems to be working for me.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:10 PM   #14  

Oh and the nicest thing about this plan for me is that I'm no longer constantly starving or food obsessed. I eat when it's time to eat and barely think about food at all until it's time to eat again. This is a HUGE and welcome change from my previous dieting attempts.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:23 PM   #15  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

So many redflags, if i may.... IMHO... i guess thats what message boards are for, eh?

-RE: TOM, Preimenopausal, or not, being in a caloric deficit for an extended period of time can do very bad things to a females cycle. Think Of a woman's menstruation as a vital sign. If it is acting oddly (compared to its own normal) than that is a clue that your body is stressed out. This is for everyone......

There are many theories and myths.... people claim it only happens to woman with loa Boday fat...NOT TRUE (necessarily) Studies have been done that show woman, even when eating at maintainance, can have menstrual disturbances if they are TRAINING too intensely (ie, HIIT, supersetting, in general overtraining).. but thats not the point

-->Generally a menstrual disturbance, or total shutdown occurs due to "METABOLIC ADAPTATION"

Metabolic Adaptation ALSO EXPLAINS OTHERTHINGS THAT ARE GOING ON WITH YOU RIGHT NOW, NOT RELATED to your Period.

As Larry asked, first things first, are you POSITIVE, without a doubt, 100% sure that you are consuming 1400 calories?PLEASE DO NOT be afraid to admit you could be off a little. WE ALL (EVEN THE "BEST" --> whatever THAT means) count innacurately sometimes, almost ALWAYS underestimating. IF this IS the reason you cant lose, than this is a GOOD THING. It means you can fix it!!

Despite what any website or packaging says, EVERYTHING HAS CALORIES. Are you counting your splenda packets? (example) 4 cals/packet there, even though it says calories free. Are you counting spritzes of "i cant believe its not butter spray". It SAYS calories free, but it has SOETHING like 7 cals per a SMALL serving (cant remember exact amount. Do you count your PAM sprays when you coat your pan to cook....guess what, that "calorie-free" cooking ingredient is made of oil--> FAT--> calories. Again, dont remember the exact amount. Sugar free gum? do you use the scale for lettuce? a serving of lettuce is 85 grams (3 ounces) at 15-20 cals perserving, depending on the type... other wise it says a serving is 2 cups. Guess what? i can cram FIVE servigs of lettuce into 2 cups....... what about penut butter? or oatmeal? If you are using measuring sppopns and cups instead of a digital scale, you could be off by HUNDREDS of cals, from those 2 products ALONE. a "swerving of PB" is either 2 tablespoons, or 28 grams-> 190 cals. a tablespoon of peanut butter is about 2/3 to 3/4 of the table spoon. Most of us fill it, and even round it off ---> heaping. That makes another full serving... meaning you think you are eating 190 cals, but honey, you just ate 400 cals--> and dont forget, we ALL lick the spoon

Oatmeal--> SAME DEAL. a serving is a 2/3 cup, OR 40 Grams. 40 grams in a 2/3 cup does not fillit up all the way..... you fill it up all the way, even overfill a little, and you just added 80 cals. What about an apple? Most people call an apple 100 cals, or 80 cals, and they dont bother weighing it. Well, its fall, and that means apple season, and if you are into the incredible Honey crisp apples, or the granny smiths or the jazz apples... ive seen those suckers come out to almost 200 cals.

Did you make it all the way through? Lets add this up...theoretically.

40 cals Splenda, 42 cals ICBINB Spray (2 servings---> guessing)_
PAM--> you sprayed it for about 2 seconds, twice that day, a serving is 1/4 second spray, so thats 8 servings... well call it 7 cals a serving = 56 cals.
200 cals extra from PB, 80 extra from oatmeal, lettuce and other veggies you just used cups, or even eyeballed, cause theyre veggies (some people consider them *free*--> you had a salad with spinach and carrots during lunch, and Broccolli and green beans at dinner (both are 30 cals per 85 grams, which is NOT VERY MUCH, to the eye).. so youve got an extra 100 cals from veggies......
Grand total, of EXTRA CALORIES = 40+42+56+200 +50 xtra (from Apple)+100 extra(from veggies) all equals....

488 UNACCOUNTED FOR CALS... putting your "1400" at 1900, and boom, back to maintenace, without EVEN REALIZING IT.

Im sorry this was so long... but it is SO COMMON.
This doesnt even factor in a bite of your kids cookie, or "tasting" dinner's sauce while its cooking... that small handfull of peanuts from the receptionist desk, etc

OK, after ALL THAT. Lets say, you DO MEASURE EVERYTHING--> every bite lick and taste. the most youre off by is 100 cals a day, in either way, no big deal.

This is where Metabolic adaptation comes back into the pic.
How long have you been dieting down? how long have you been "loosing" at 1400 cals a day?

Sweetie, our bodies are smart...... after a while of trying to lose fat, your body realizes that this "undereating is going to continue for a while".
NO NO NO NO--> not STARVATION MODE. Thats a myth.

what happens is, your body realizes it has to run off a reduced amount of fuel, and in order to be more EFFICIENT, it slows and even STOPS some of your bodies NON-ESSENTIAL processes, to conserve cals.

EXAMPLES.
Body temp--> it takes "X" amount to maintain that 97.6 degree. But we dont have that many to spare. Your body will lower your basal body temp by a degree, or 2. THAT saves cals. Ever notice dieters are ALWAYS complaining about being cold ALL THE time?? make sense now?

What about hair and nail growth? eh, that doesnt matter. the body takes away half its alloted cals for that ( have you noticed women on the board asking about hair thinnning? Nails become brittle, etc.)

HeartRate- No, even though youre working out, you arent suddenly Lance Armstrong. The reason your Ambient, or rest HR is so low is more tied to metabolic adaptation.... your body slows your HR down. That saves cals.

Menstrual Cycle? GONE
Sperm count? see ya
Even things you dont notice, sow down... maybe you used to tap your foot alot when sitting at a desk... suddenly you dont really do that anymore. You dont fidget as much (LITTTLE LITTLE THINGS) The dogs walks get A LITTLE shorter. This is all subconcious, but its your bodies way of adapting its calorie intake to match its output (usage).... this happens over a larger period, and it happens to EVERYONE. EVERY DIET. It effe3ects some more harshly than others.

I hate to say it, but 1400 ish cals (ASSUMING YOUR COUNTING IS SPOT ON ) may be your bodies new maintenace. AND THAT SUX. IVE BEEN THERE! you MIGHT HAVE TO LOWER TO 1200.

BUT FIRST, take a long HARD LOOK at your calories, and calorie counting methods, and calorie counting accuracy.
THIS would be the ideal problem, dont you think?

if you HAVE adapted down to 1400 as maintenance, there is hope, but you wont like it.
youd need a diet break. 10-14 days MINIMUM, possibly 2-3 MONTHS, depending on how extensive the damage), where you eat AT AND ABOVE maintanance, with a FOCUS on high Glycemic Carbs, in order to help reset the falling and outta whack hormone levels responsible for the dillema.
And ya, youll gain weight. But guess what, its like taking one step back, to take 2 steps forward. Hopefully you dont need to do this

However, as good practice, Everyon should take diet breaks every 8-12 weeks, for about a week... eating at maintanance. You wont GAIN any fat doing this... youll gain waer weight. Youll be super bloaty. It might takle 2 weeks to come off, but when the break is over youll be a fat burning machine

WOW

I apologize for the novel.... im very passionate about this subject, as you can tell.

PLEASE, click on the following link. The video clip is called something like "the SHOCKING TRUTH about Fat Loss!"

http://www.audioacrobat.com/playweb?...708bb67855cYFx /S1REYmpy&buffer=5&fc=FFCC00&pc=AAAAFF&kc=888800&bc =FFFFFF&frame=1&player=vp

iF THIS LINK DOESNT WORK , you can go directly to the article, which features the link during the First half of the Article..
--> Tom Venuto Interviewing Leigh Peele. I learned everything i know from her. Worked with her for almost 2 years. She is known as "The FatLoss TroubleShooter" Im at work right now so i cant get onto utube or anything directly.
http://www.tomvenuto.com/articles/3_...fat_loss.shtml
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote