Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-11-2011, 07:07 AM   #31  
Trying to live below 200

S/C/G: This time: 292/201.4/under 200

Height: 5'6" 1/2

Good Morning, Everyone!

Weigh In: 145.2
No Change

nevaeh1984 You meal looks awesome! I'm not familiar with the product you used, though. Is it a protein? I can't tell from the before picture.

melodymist Hi and Welcome to the check-in!

mamakat Congrats on the new low! I'm glad you didn't have to lose a limb for it, though.

Still I have always wanted a food scale. I have looked at them many times. I always talk myself out of it because I tell myself that I have done this for 3 years and 9 months without it. I agree that it will make things easier. Let us know if you get one, what brand, and what you think about it. I can always change my mind and get one.
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:42 AM   #32  

GM everyone, I feel more tired than I should today. Although, I am sure it is because I never stopped once yesterday. I burned 3,400 calories and took 19,314 steps . I love days like that, I felt so productive. I wish I could bottle my energy levels and have them like that every day.
Plan today is a walk and hopefully my weight lifting. I say hopefully because I am pretty sore all over today. Who says house work is not a good workout? It is a 3 day program this week, so I really need to get day one done today.
I ate too little yesterday, had things planned out, but it just didn't work out that way. And the scale was unkind to give me an extra couple ounces, but no worries because I am on plan and will stay that way and I feel amazing even if the scale doesn't think so. Why doesn't the scale get the message when I am trying really hard?

Diana, no I didn't bake. Something had to give and unfortunately the baked goods lost.

Still, I love using a food scale. I bought one from bed bath and beyond that I am liking a lot. It has a book of codes you can enter for all kinds of foods and it will give you calories, carbs, sodium,nutrients, and everything. Thats nice so you don't always have to look up things on the computer. I think a food scale is great for the things that are hard to measure in a cup like pasta, chunky stuff like cut up fruits or popcorn and. I also like to weigh in grams instead of cups/tbsp for calorie dense foods like peanut butter that are easy to over estimate. The one I have is programmable for your favorite foods too and I have my morning creamer programmed in. I get the perfect cup of coffee every morning with exactly the right amt. of creamer and no hidden extra calories. I love it. I think you can lose weight without one, but using one makes me more accurate with my counting. I use it other ways in the kitchen too, like portioning out meat for burgers, or if I am making meals ahead, making sure they all have the same amount of ingredients, stuff like that.

BBL for more personals, ran out of time. . .

Last edited by jomatho; 10-11-2011 at 07:43 AM.
jomatho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:33 AM   #33  

S/C/G: 319/264/200

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by still View Post
I'm considering getting a food scale to help me track a little more accurately.
Do any of you guys use a food scale? What should I look for? I know that in weight watchers they use them all the time. I just don't know that I'll be very good at the "measure out every single little thing you eat" stuff.
Still,

I use a food scale. It is a spring scale bought at Walmart circular in shape and you can zero the dial.

What I have learned is:

My scale weighs to 7 lbs by 1 oz increments and to 3 kg by 25 gr increments. I almost never need to weigh anything over a lb. I usually need to measure in the 2-8 oz range. With a scale that goes to 7 lbs this means that all of my readings are at the very beginning of the dial and it is harder to read than say a scale going only to 1 or 2 lbs would be.

A digital scale would be much easier to read than mine is. I am planning on getting one to replace mine.

An extremely useful feature that my scale and a lot of digital scales have is the ability to re-zero the reading. Works like this, my scale is set to zero and I decide to weigh something using a dish from the cupboard. I place the dish on the scale and I can re-zero the dial with the empty dish on the scale. Now I add the food that I wanted to weigh and read the weight. If I want to add another ingredient I simply re-zero the scale with the dish and the first food still in it and I can get an accurate reading of the second ingredient. You can do this as often as you like.

I find the scale useful for weighing odd sizes of food. I was always taught that a serving of meat or fish is the size of a deck of cards. Sounds simple until I am looking at a Tilapia filet that is wide at the top, narrow towards the tail, Thick in the middle and tapers to a thin edge. I can't accurately visualize a deck of cards in that filet so I weigh it. Dry pasta is another hard to judge item. A serving is 2 oz. Exactly what does 2 oz of curly noodles look like? The scale tells me easily.

Do I weigh everything? NO, ideal would be weighing everything but when faced with a serving of low calorie fresh green beans for example, does it really matter if my estimate is off a little and I get 5 or 10 calories too much or too little. What I am most interested in is accurate weights of calorie dense foods. Mainly proteins, fats and starchy carbohydrates.

The bottom line is I recommend you get a digital scale that you can re-zero

Larry,

Last edited by Larry H; 10-11-2011 at 09:36 AM.
Larry H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:39 AM   #34  
Starting again

S/C/G: 289/ticker/128

Height: 5'4"

mamakat, congrats on the new low! I think if I saw a 1 at the beginning of my number I'd pass out.

still I have a scale like Larry's, but I never use it because I don't think it's very accurate. I'd like to get a digital scale, but see below.

Diana, I always think about getting a kitchen scale and then talk myself out of it, too. Sometimes I wonder how off my calorie counts are. I really only guesstimate with meat. I guess it would be nice if someone bought one for me (like Christmas or something) so I wouldn't feel so guilty about spending money on it. I doubt anyone would think of it and I'd hate to tell people what to buy me, though.

jomatho 3,400 calories! Holy crap! Awesome!

melodymist,

I'm up .2 to 236.8. I really thought I'd lose something this morning. I even went to bed early and didn't eat anything after midnight like I usually do. Whatever, whatever, I'm keeping on keeping on. I wonder if eating at maintenance for a few days would help? I don't know. I'm almost afraid to do that on purpose. I have enough trouble keeping my sodium down on this amount of food. If I ate more it would be even worse.

Last edited by shishkeberry; 10-11-2011 at 09:41 AM.
shishkeberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:49 AM   #35  

Mamakat, congrats on the new low number and getting on that new scale.
Larry, I agree, meat is another tricky one to eye up and has a lot of hidden calories if you are not careful.
Melodymist,
Nevaeh, did you like the devils tongue? Sounds strange, but good for you for trying new healthier things.
Kittenmancer, way to go with the workouts and hope you can kick TOM to the curb quickly!
Shisk, My scale is stuck too, just keep with the program, it will move again soon.

Last edited by jomatho; 10-11-2011 at 09:49 AM.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:53 AM   #36  
Super Single Mom

S/C/G: HW/SW 275/ CW 266.2 /GW 160

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomatho View Post
And the scale was unkind .... but no worries because I am on plan and will stay that way and I feel amazing even if the scale doesn't think so. Why doesn't the scale get the message when I am trying really hard?
Jo, will you do me a favor and bottle up some of that attitude and send it to me? I'm feeling good right now, but I'd really love to have some of yours to tap into when I need a boost.

Today is a good day.

The word of the day is WHOOSH!!!

Down 2 lbs to 190.8. Thank you scale. I was able to get some good sleep last night and I stuck to my plan all day! I am on plan again today. Now that my body doesnt hurt so much, I am going to try to do Bob's 20 min strength today and I am also going to get back into C25K. I may not go for the full 30 minutes today as I really want to do strength first and DON'T want to overdo it. I haven't worked out since Thursday when I did yoga and running. I clearly overdid it that day. LOL Fingers crossed to practice self restraint there.

My head is clearing. It feels good to be eating clean and drinking water. it feels good to treat myself right. This really is the way it's supposed to be!
Vixsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:01 AM   #37  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

About scales- Jomatho - that scale you have sounds awesome! I would love those gizmo features. I might have to go look at it.

I have two scales - a spring one (my MIL had it and we still have it in our cupboards) and a digital scale one that goes to several pounds and goes in small increments. For baking, weighing is much more accurate and less messy than digging out cups and spoons. And since a lot of my recipes are also European (croatian), then it's also written in weights instead of volume.

However, I don't weigh my food - ever. Why? with 18 years of cooking daily - sometimes multiple times daily, I'm really good at estimating quantities. I don't even use measuring spoons and cups sometimes when baking because I know how much is too much and too little. And when it comes to weight loss, if you are losing with what you are doing (pointing to you Shishkeberry), then you know you are doing something right. I figure if ever I truly stall out, I'll go to measuring to see if I'm off, but so far so good.

Now, Shishkeberry, about asking what you want for presents. I had to learn the hard way to do just that. People are not mind readers and people (especially men) are terrible at picking up hints. If you want something and can't justify getting it for yourself, ask for it. Even give ways to save money (like BBB uses 20% coupons and honors other stores coupons (not sure which other stores though). Otherwise, you are going to get things you don't want or need and won't get what you want and need and I can TELL YOU that anyone giving gifts wants them to be used and appreciated, so they would much rather be told - "I would really, really love this".

Or, what a good friend of mine did - she made a list of 3-5 things she really, really wanted and gave this as suggestions. That way it was still a surprise as to what she would get off the list, but gave very concrete ideas. Yet another friend (and this is really funny), gave a list of 100 items of books she wanted to her spouse for gift ideas as he was terrible (and she is a super avid reader). So, he chose one year, she loved it and the system worked. She said for next year "use that list" and guess what? He rebought the same book again because he forgot to mark off the item he got her! LOL

Anyway... do yourself and your loved ones a favor and tell them what you want. Really, it's OK.

Last edited by berryblondeboys; 10-11-2011 at 10:06 AM.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:10 AM   #38  
Melissa

Girls (and Larry if you can stand woman talk), I think I'm beginning to enter the perimenopauseal stage. I'm gaining weight for ovulation (which is already 2 days late), but I'm noticing changes - less of the strong libido around ovulation and fertility signs are disappearing so it's harder to tell when I'm going to ovulate. I don't know why that bothers me as we are done having kids, but I feel too young to be having early signs of menopause! I had a hot flash the other night too (after not having any for a year - thinking thyroid was causing some before). I know we have several ladies here around my age - Jomatho, Diana and Sum38, maybe Shellsbrood too? (though maybe a bit younger). How do you feel about that whole stage?
Old 10-11-2011, 10:14 AM   #39  
Life is about balance

S/C/G: 283/ticker/140

Confession: I've been MIA b/c I'm having a hard go of things. I'll survive, but I wanted to let you know, I cracked. I had a lot of Bertucci's rolls w/ oil and their bruschetta then cake...all on Saturday. I've been starving myself since...not for reasons you might think.

Again I'm only confessing to show that I too have weak moments. Albeit, mine really had nothing to do with food, I just chose that path as it was quicker and left no scars. Hopefully I get straight in my head again soon as I know this is not good for my body or my mind. I just have to learn how to breath again.

I've also stopped exercising and to be honest, I'm not sure when I'll pick that up again. Right now I have other things on my mind, one is getting through the week without DH in this state. Times like these is when I wish we were in AZ closer to family and friends. I'm thankful my kids are old enough to feed themselves...at least they'll get fed.

I'm sorry I haven't done personals or welcomed any new comers. I am thinking of you all and always wish you the best. I'm not sure where to go from here, so know that you are always in my thoughts. I will do my best to come back, strong and on the right path...but not sure when.

Take care everyone and have a wonderful and healthy day.
mamakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:35 AM   #40  

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys View Post
Girls (and Larry if you can stand woman talk), I think I'm beginning to enter the perimenopauseal stage. I'm gaining weight for ovulation (which is already 2 days late), but I'm noticing changes - less of the strong libido around ovulation and fertility signs are disappearing so it's harder to tell when I'm going to ovulate. I don't know why that bothers me as we are done having kids, but I feel too young to be having early signs of menopause! I had a hot flash the other night too (after not having any for a year - thinking thyroid was causing some before). I know we have several ladies here around my age - Jomatho, Diana and Sum38, maybe Shellsbrood too? (though maybe a bit younger). How do you feel about that whole stage?
I know I am perimenopause also, just having much weirder symptoms than I have ever had. Not so much the headaches and cramps anymore, now it is nausea, warmth/burning cheeks (not really hot flashes per say), moodiness, much more fatigue right before TOM, just stuff like that. How do I feel about it, I say lets get on with it and get this over with I could really care less whether I am still fertile or not, can't say it bothers me. Did you always go by "feel" with your cycle, or do you track it? I use iperiod app and I love, love, love it. All the girls reading this that have access to apps, need to get iperiod!!!! It is awesome!!!
Old 10-11-2011, 10:37 AM   #41  
Starting again

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys View Post
Now, Shishkeberry, about asking what you want for presents. I had to learn the hard way to do just that. People are not mind readers and people (especially men) are terrible at picking up hints. If you want something and can't justify getting it for yourself, ask for it. Even give ways to save money (like BBB uses 20% coupons and honors other stores coupons (not sure which other stores though). Otherwise, you are going to get things you don't want or need and won't get what you want and need and I can TELL YOU that anyone giving gifts wants them to be used and appreciated, so they would much rather be told - "I would really, really love this".

Or, what a good friend of mine did - she made a list of 3-5 things she really, really wanted and gave this as suggestions. That way it was still a surprise as to what she would get off the list, but gave very concrete ideas. Yet another friend (and this is really funny), gave a list of 100 items of books she wanted to her spouse for gift ideas as he was terrible (and she is a super avid reader). So, he chose one year, she loved it and the system worked. She said for next year "use that list" and guess what? He rebought the same book again because he forgot to mark off the item he got her! LOL

Anyway... do yourself and your loved ones a favor and tell them what you want. Really, it's OK.
I like the idea for the list. I might try that. My DF knows that I want a scale, but I don't think he'll think it's "personal" or "Christmassy" enough, kwim? I usually do get nice things that I want or didn't even know I wanted for Christmas. But actually, I think I'd rather have gift cards for clothes this year. I think I'm going to need that more. (Haha, hopefully anyway, right? )
Old 10-11-2011, 10:42 AM   #42  
Melissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamakat View Post
Confession: I've been MIA b/c I'm having a hard go of things. I'll survive, but I wanted to let you know, I cracked. I had a lot of Bertucci's rolls w/ oil and their bruschetta then cake...all on Saturday. I've been starving myself since...not for reasons you might think.

Again I'm only confessing to show that I too have weak moments. Albeit, mine really had nothing to do with food, I just chose that path as it was quicker and left no scars. Hopefully I get straight in my head again soon as I know this is not good for my body or my mind. I just have to learn how to breath again.

I've also stopped exercising and to be honest, I'm not sure when I'll pick that up again. Right now I have other things on my mind, one is getting through the week without DH in this state. Times like these is when I wish we were in AZ closer to family and friends. I'm thankful my kids are old enough to feed themselves...at least they'll get fed.

I'm sorry I haven't done personals or welcomed any new comers. I am thinking of you all and always wish you the best. I'm not sure where to go from here, so know that you are always in my thoughts. I will do my best to come back, strong and on the right path...but not sure when.

Take care everyone and have a wonderful and healthy day.
Hugs to you Mamakat - very admirable to come in and 'confess'. And I love that you did, because yes, we all have good and bad days as we are all HUMAN. I hope whatever is eating away at your resolves itself quickly and with little added pain. I'll be thinking about you.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:43 AM   #43  
Starting again

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamakat View Post
If you mean what I think you do, I hear you. I've got plenty of those scars myself. It's been a while for me though, but not long enough. Maybe a year? Cheer up, mamakat. I'll be thinking of you today.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:48 AM   #44  

If I were in the market for a new kitchen scale, I would get "Eat Smart" brand, probably from amazon. I have been so darn impressed with my eat smart bathroom scale, no matter how many times I step on and off that thing, I get the same number to the tenth every single time, even when I am hoping for a different number
Old 10-11-2011, 10:51 AM   #45  

Mamakat, I thought you have been rather quiet and commented to you on your mfp update about it. Sorry you have been in a difficult place and hope you are feeling more yourself soon!

Last edited by jomatho; 10-11-2011 at 10:54 AM.