Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-04-2011, 10:41 AM   #1  
One decision at a time.

S/C/G: 213/195/150

Height: 5'9''

Default For those of us starting over...

There is merit in starting over. I've been "trying" to lose weight since college, and I have gone up and down 20 lbs or so, but nothing big. I'm now 28. I realize that I just wasn't mature enough with all my other attempts. I didn't take the measures needed to stick to the plan every day, or not to let one night out "ruin" my diet. I'm now in the right mind set.

That said, I want to say to all of us: There is merit in starting over. We are (again) at the beginning of something we have wanted for a long time. We have the knowledge and tools to take this journey, and many people have taken it before us, so why not us? And, on top of being at the beginning, we have a past in which we have tried and failed. Doesn't that make the story that much more interesting? Especially when you finally say, "I did it."

You don't have to be the person who is constantly on a "diet", but never loses any weight. You can reflect on why you have failed in the past. You can build a system that you know will work for you, and execute it every day. And at those times you splurge, or skip a workout, know that the journey is going to be filled with those moments. And the moment you realize it, go back to the plan. Keep at it. Tweek your routine. Commit to this goal. Commit to a lifestyle change. Time will pass whether you do it or not. So this time, let's do it. There is merit in where you are: it will help you become a healthier, happier you.

Jessica Committed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:17 AM   #2  
Playing to Lose

S/C/G: 194/ticker/129

Height: 5' 1"

Great post, thanks for sharing! It was definitely something I needed to read today as I recently fell off the wagon and let some pounds slip back on.

Time to recommit and refocus!
ShanIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:50 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 170/153/??

Height: 5'9"

I'm almost 30 and I also feel like I'm just starting to get it - for the first time. That is pretty sad considering my weight-history. Losing weight was, for most of my younger life, only attainable through starvation measures (which never lasted that long) OR it was simply impossible. I am not stupid, but I can honestly say no one ever educated me, despite my real interest in the topic.

Thank god for the internet and connecting with people that have real experience!
Unna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:03 PM   #4  
I like ponies... and you?

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5'9"

Hoorah. I'm not as old as y'all (I mean that completely through biological numbers... and maturity... nothing else. ).... but I've started and restarted more times than I can count.

But yeah.

You have about the same stats as me (apart from being 10 years apart)... we can get there!
Serbrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 02:45 PM   #5  
Running for my life

S/C/G: 240/140

Height: 5'6"

Hi Jessica!
We've all been there, starting over.
Read this http://body-improvements.com/resources/eat/ it really helped me!
milmin2043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:29 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 250/217/165

Height: 5.7

I am one of those always on diet people and I STILL dont have it right!! Im 29and dont want to spend my last year in my 20s overweight!!! yet I start each day off with good intentions and mess up then that whole might as well eat this and that mentality kicks in and bamm Ive gained 20lbs while being on a diet at least 2x week!!! Damn thats just sad, any help or advice to put some fire under my arse would be appreciated
proudmommy09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:41 PM   #7  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

There is a lot of truth into each attempt at losing weight and keeping weight off helps with the next time. We learn something each time - at least you can if you are looking to learn.

I haven't gotten to my goal or to maintenance yet, but I've come farther than I ever have and it's been a much smoother journey this time and a lot of it has had to do with the fact that I have learned what works and what doesn't work for me.

Good luck to you!
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:50 PM   #8  
One decision at a time.

Thanks for chiming in, ladies! Yay us!
Old 10-04-2011, 06:20 PM   #9  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

I smiled reading your post. You sound just like me when I started this journey (this time I mean!). I joined 3FC at 225lbs and also when I was 28. I've also been going back and forth between 175-185 ever since college... well, until I got pregnant and gained like crazy.

But you know what? I HAVE learned a lot from my past experiences. It really dictated how I decided to diet this time around (basically, I made small changes that I could stick to and constant tweaking over time). The key for my success this time around (at the most before I probably lost 10-30lbs) was finding what really drove me to overeating (sugar and emotional eating) and cutting those things out of my life completely. It was amazing once I found out what clicked for me, it was like seeing for the first time.

I'm glad you came to 3FC and I wish you lots of success here!
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 04:45 PM   #10  
Pink Leopard Power

S/C/G: 351.2/ticker/185

Height: 6'0

Jessica - thanks for making this post! I think so many of us feel the same way. It is very inspiring and the kind of things I wish I had had the words to say and tell myself.

I steadily gained weight since I was 16 (just 20 or 30 lbs overweight), mostly cause I started working in a grocery store and dating. I topped out at around 327 when I got engaged to my current husband at 20. I had 11 months to the wedding and was going to lose 100 lbs. This was also my senior year of college and first time living alone, so I was proud of my success . I lost about 45 lbs and had become rather athletic, then about 4 months before the wedding I slipped and gained about 30 back (had to get my dress let out a lot!)... then another 10 back after the wedding. And here I am now! It was SOOO hard to get into the rhythm of losing weight, and I am so upset that I am starting practically over at zero again. But there is nothing else much we can do, if I start day 1 today... tomorrow will be day 2... and before too long I'll be back to where I left off!! Hope everyone can be strong and finish this right!
JollyGreenSteen19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 05:38 PM   #11  
One decision at a time.

runningfromfat - thank you so much for posting! I really get where you were coming from, as I in a similar circumstance (though I have more of a savory tooth than a sweet tooth, hee hee.) I'm so glad you've discovered what works for you, and I'm so excited that I've discovered what works for me - so far. In a few months time, I hope to be posting the successful numbers I see on your ticker!
Old 10-15-2011, 05:46 PM   #12  
One decision at a time.

Mrs. Hornberg - I know how it is to be super mad at yourself for not following through on your goal, and even slipping back to an old (or, for me, new), weight. Take a little bit of time to go through your feelings, but don't dwell too much. It's time for "Project You"! Take some tips from when you lost those 45 lbs before your wedding, and reflect on what triggered you to gain it back. Start whatever system is sustainable for you, and in a few months, you'll be on track and down several lbs. For me, it's calorie counting and moderate exercise. And, of course, visiting 3FC every day for some tips and inspiration. Cheers to you!
Old 10-15-2011, 05:53 PM   #13  
Pink Leopard Power

S/C/G: 351.2/ticker/185

Height: 6'0

Jessica - cheers to you too!!!! I think you can do it! I am also going to go the calorie counting and exercise route. Calorie counting is just the simplest and most flexible way.
JollyGreenSteen19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:56 PM   #14  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Committed View Post
runningfromfat - thank you so much for posting! I really get where you were coming from, as I in a similar circumstance (though I have more of a savory tooth than a sweet tooth, hee hee.) I'm so glad you've discovered what works for you, and I'm so excited that I've discovered what works for me - so far. In a few months time, I hope to be posting the successful numbers I see on your ticker!
Ah, that sounds like my DH. He's a carnivore if I ever saw one! He's lost a good deal of weight calorie counting and it's worked well for him because then he can have his meat but just cuts back on all the extras that he never really cared about much i the first place.

I really hope you figure out what works for you in terms of dieting! Remember that something that works right now doesn't necessarily mean you have to stick to it your entire journey I've changed my diet over time, tweaking here and there when needed. Good luck and I also hope you have some great success with your ticker.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:30 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 179/168/130

Height: 5'3"

I can lose 75 lbs pretty easily. Then I can gain up to 75 lbs pretty easily.

This my fourth ride on the roller coaster. However, each time I've lost weight, I've retained some good habits from the previous attempt. I've never gotten back up to my highest weight, and each time around, I've started at a lower weight and I've gotten closer to my goal.

I feel like each time around, I develop a few more good habits.

I hope that this time, I reach critical mass and manage to get to my goal and MAINTAIN my weight.

When I hit my goal this time, I plan to continue to restrict bread/pasta/potatoes/sugar, continue to weigh daily, and continue to read and post on 3FC! When I do those 3 things, I tend to do well. When I start to eat bread/avoid weighing/forget 3FC, I balloon up.
yoyomadness is offline   Reply With Quote