Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-04-2011, 12:55 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 259/227/175

Height: 5"10

Question Make me eat breakfast!

Hi all, this is my first beginning post since joining, so please be kind;-)

I have a real problem with breakfast. I have never eaten it. I guess it kind of stems from being a chubby teenager and thinking that skipping breakfast would help with loosing weight.

Even now as an adult i never seem to 'fancy' breakfast, and i think its also down to me feeling like the longer i avoid eating that first meal, the less i will eat overall.

I really want to start eating a meal in the morning, as i know its healthy and is best for my body. Has anyone else had 'issues' with eating breakfast and have overcome them? Or does anyone not eat breakfast at all and that fits in with their plan?

I do feel ever so silly being scared of a meal! I would love to sit at the table and eat breakfast with my daughter, rather than sitting there with a coffee.

Thanks
chazma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:22 PM   #2  
Started IP 10/21/15

S/C/G: 243/238.8/170

Height: 5'4"

Well, from what I've read from many people here, eating breakfast doesn't matter, and eating breakfast does matter .

Some people do the intermittent fasting where they only eat during certain hours of the day, which may not include breakfast, or it may not include dinner. Some people eat three meals a day, some people eat six.

It depends on what your plan is and what works for you whether or not you have to eat breakfast. I eat three meals a day and one snack. I find if I skip one of the meals then I tend to grab at the candy bowls around the office.

Good luck whatever you decide!
PreciousMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:31 PM   #3  
Krissy Missy

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

I agree with Precious, it's your decision to eat breakfast or not. As for myself, sometimes I do, sometimes I don't - I just listen to my body and if I'm hungry in the morning I eat, if I'm not I wait. If you find you really want to eat breakfast but just don't like breakfast foods (cereal, eggs, toast, whatever), then make yourself something you'd eat for lunch instead!
Missy Krissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 02:38 PM   #4  
Up.Forward.Higher.Always.

S/C/G: 235/ticker/130's

Height: 5' 5"

I'm a definite breakfast eater now, but I used to skip breakfast all the time. I never made time for it and thought that it would help me eat less overall(although I'm pretty sure it did the exact opposite in my case). I've realized that I function so much better if I get more of my calories in earlier in the day. I feel more awake, I have more energy throughout the day. If I don't eat breakfast, I'm SO MUCH hungrier later in the day than I usually am, even if I'm getting in the same number of calories.

I LOVE breakfast foods, so breakfast is usually my favorite meal of the day. If you don't like traditional breakfast foods, just eat whatever. As long as you're getting in protein, complex carbs and a little fat, you should be fine.

With that said, I know there are plenty of people on here who find a lot of success with the Intermittent Fasting approach. You might want to try out both options and see which feels better for you.
tuende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:19 PM   #5  
pursuer of joy

S/C/G: 198/170ish/160-???

Height: 5.6 on a tall day

Well, you've lost 30+ pounds according to your stats, so I'd say what you ARE doing is working for you. Is it a curiosity as to what others do or are you concerned that not eating breakfast is hindering your efforts, or that eating it will assist your efforts?

There are 2 minds on this issue as answered above. A) do it....and B) it doesn't matter.

During the work week, I eat breakfast. I have to. There's no way that I could skip it and get through to 1 p.m. when lunch rolls around. Some days it is as simple as a fruit/milk smoothie--and that keeps me full for some time. Other days I might make an egg on toast if I have the time, or a blueberry pancake (one...lol), maybe 1/2 banana, peanut butter, toast. Sometimes, I bring a container of fruit/yogurt/cereal with me to work and scarf it down quickly shortly before 9 a.m. (but I hate that). Its inconspicuous enough to eat the occasional apple or the like at my desk as a snack, but anything that requires a fork/spoon raises inquisitive eyes, so I do try to just have something at home.

On the weekends, tho, that's a different story. I find on the weekends that I don't go to that breakfast very quickly and, generally have 2 meals and a snack, rather than 3 meals and up to 2 snacks during the work week.

Basically, the answer to this lies in you--if you're fine without it and your weight loss is consistent...don't worry. If you feel that you're missing something important, and you really don't WANT to eat breakfast, then have something as simple as a piece of fruit. The advocates of breakfast say that it revs up your metabolism. Who knows?

Good luck.

Last edited by 124chicksinger; 10-04-2011 at 03:20 PM.
124chicksinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:31 PM   #6  
Made of Starstuff

I don't know that you have to eat breakfast, but if you want to eat breakfast keep in mind that it doesn't have to be anything large.

It could be an egg, or a cup of yogurt, and piece of fruit, or some toast. You don't have to go all out.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:37 PM   #7  
the camera adds 10 lbs

S/C/G: 258/ticker/185

what happens with me is that if i don't eat enough early in the day i get too hungry later in the day and then i overeat...i seem to be much better at overeating later...my work schedule lends itself to starting my eating day later as long as i don't starve myself early
david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:38 PM   #8  

For me it also depends. Usually I don't eat it, my first meal is at 2pm or even later. If I get hungry I eat fruit or smoothies or whatever. It's like IF really but my hours keeps changing it's not really a plan, more a lifestyle. If I wake up and eat a big breakfast I'm hungry in an hour and I can eat all day sometimes.. Especially if it's something sweet like jam on whole wheat toast.. I just feel better not eating in the morning, I get more things done and I'm more focused on other things..
Like everyone before me said. Do what you FEEL is best and makes you comfortable. If you don't like breakfast, don't eat it.. If you do, eat it.
khat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:50 PM   #9  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

I think I do my own version of Intermittent Fasting. I've always had a morning metabolism. I am just hungry the first part of the day. Not so much the second half of the day. What I did for years was eat a bit too much in the morning and then would eat a big meal at night too because that's what we all do!

Well, what I've been doing is eating when I'm hungry. Yesterday I ate breakfast at 7 am, had lunch at 11 am, a snack at 1 pm and had dinner at 3:30 pm. I had nothing after that until I went to bed at midnight. I wasn't hungry!

My son and husband, on the other hand, eat a small breakfast, a smallish lunch and then a huge dinner and a couple snacks after dinner. They are night owls and just get hungrier later in the day (and they are both thin, btw). We just get hungry at different times.

I'm saying this because you just need to find what works for you. We are all different - so there's no need to do what anyone else does - do what feels right to you.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 04:00 PM   #10  

Height: 5'11"

What has worked for me is making little bags or mini Glad containers with an ounce of nuts in them and them putting them at my door. Then, when I'm running out to work, I grab a couple of those and have one for breakfast and then the other for snacks during the day.
TheWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 04:49 PM   #11  
Happy Member

I wake up hungry, so I eat breakfast, usually oatmeal.

That being said - I do agree with other posters who say that it is strictly up to you as to whether you eat a breakfast or not. If you want to eat, eat! If you don't want to eat, don't eat!

You are doing great in the losing-weight department so whatever you are doing now is working for you.
JoJoJo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:07 PM   #12  

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Its reasuring to see that not everyone has breakfast! Thought it was a big factor as people say its the most important meal of the day, but judging by some some of your amazing losses, obviously not.

Chicksinger, you re so right. I hadnt thought about the fact that doing what im doing has obviously worked for me so far. I dont feel guilty about not having breakfast, but feel like i dont eat like a 'normal person' if that makes sense.

My main concern is that i dont want my daughter (4yrs) to pick up on any food issues. I think ill start having a piece of fruit in the morning with her, rather than a full on brekkie.

Thanks again everyone.
PS i love this website :-)
Old 10-04-2011, 05:09 PM   #13  

Thanks jojojo :-)