Bad day, bad mood, bad food!

• Today is not over yet but so far it has pretty much sucked. To be honest, it began late last night. Allow me to explain. I have a big family and I'm the oldest of kids. Two of those kids are strong healthy teenage boys who are ALWAYS hungry.

Well last night, around 9, they start complaining that they didn't have a proper dinner, meaning my mom didn't have time to cook because she had to work very late and the dinner they fixed themselves wasn't enough. So, my mom felt guilty and asked me to drive them to get fast food. Now, I didn't order anything for myself because I wasn't hungry and fast food is NOT apart of my diet at all! But (there's always a but, isn't there?) my sister didn't want her burger so she gave it to me and I had it.

I didn't dwell on it because for the past 2 weeks I have been really good with what I eat and I figured one mistake isn't going to kill me, I just have to be sure to not repeat it. Well, guess what? I repeated it today! I had no intention of doing it but my family is in the process of selling our house and no one could be at home during it. Everyone else was at work or school but my father, who is disabled and doesn't work, and took the car together and drove around town aimlessly while the inspection was going on. Long story short, we ended up eating some pretty unhealthy food and I feel like complete crap because of it. I didn't have time to prepare my own food today (which I should have last night, I know!) and I was in a bad mood because of it so I ate.

I could say I have no support from my family, which is partially true because I am the only person who has to buy her own food and cook it herself and deal with the fact that sometimes they eat it! But honestly, I should have prepared my food last night and I didn't. Maybe I'm not as serious about this as I should be? I dunno. I really want to get fit and healthy but it seems like I succumb to cravings whenever I start to see results. Have any of you ever felt like this? Any advice for me?
  • Do NOT beat yourself up. Do NOT use this as an excuse to throw in the towel. You have had a couple of bad food days, so what, we all do. Go to the store, get your healthy food, put YOUR name on it so others will stop eating it and get back on track.
    You can do this but sometimes life happens and we stumble a little.
    Next time you will know to prepare your food a head of time. Instead of eating, ask your dad if he will do some window shopping with you. Go look at cloths that you someday want to wear but can't now. Ask him to go to the grocery store with you to pick up some healthier options.
    Don't give up. You can do it!
  • Thank you for your kind words! I really appreciate them and they have made me feel a lot better. I love your signature as well. So true!!!
  • Hard day.

Use this as a learning opportunity. The truth is that life throws us curve balls and we don't have total control over our choices all the time. The trick is to be prepared and to be able to deal with whatever crap comes our way. I agree about eating half your sister's burger: not a big deal but perhaps a sign that you should spend some energy learning to resist...(me too!..)

The bigger learning opportunity comes from today. In retrospect, what could you have done differently? Could you have done an activity of some sort with your dad that didn't involve food? Could you have gone to a healthier restaurant? (When all else fails, there is always Subway--boring and corporate as it is). What can you learn from your experience today that will enable you to make better choices next time?

There's no point beating yourself up about things that have already happened unless you're going to learn something useful from those mistakes! (And we do all have them. You're not alone there.)