Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-17-2011, 09:53 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 226/?/150

Height: 5'4

Question so mad

Okay so I always start working out and do really good for a few days and then my boy friend is off work so he is home and i cant bring myself to workout with him around. I can handle going one day without working out but he was off two days in a row. I loved spending the time with him and our son but today when he went back to work i took care of our son like i always do and i put him down for a nap, started some laundry and picked up the living room so i could work out got 15 mins into it and my son woke back up he didnt even sleep 45 mins and would not go back down! So now he is in bed for the night but my boy friend is home now. I just cant really seem to win. Also on the days he is off i try to get up before my son and boy friend but something always happens this last time my son busted up his mouth and was up all night so i just could not make myself move to workout. How can i keep from getting so discouraged? (I kept up eating good but i just have felt down)
Icey21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:26 PM   #2  
Less is more.

S/C/G: 298/234/170

Height: 5'5"

I hate working out in front of my DF, but he understands and when I say, "it's my workout time." He gladly heads to his little room to get super involved with a computer game (which he only plays when I'm working out, so he loves it when I take over the front room.) and I feel more comfortable because, come on, you don't want your man to see you huffing and puffing and getting sweaty and trying to do whaterver the exercise is, with fat bouncing around...yeah...I hate working out in front of my man.
When your boyfriend is home....how about going for a walk? He can watch your son for 30 min while you cruse around the block? Better yet? have you talked to him about your work outs? can he take your son out to a park or somewhere out of your way so you can work out like normal?
And though I don't have kids, running around with your boy counts as light exercise ^.^
Sakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:32 PM   #3  

See we live in a small apartment so there is not really anywhere for him to go while i workout or the other way around. I cant really go for a walk in less i walk is a small circle we only have 12 apartments here. He could take him to the park but by the time he gets out of bed it is almost nap time for my little man, nap time I have been using as "mommy time". I really need to find a way to make it work better it just has not happened yet. We are getting ready to move into a house at the end of October (keeping our fingers crossed everything goes as planned) so i will be able to go for walks then.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:52 AM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Can your son stay in his crib or in a playpen nearby while you work out? It sounds like he is still young enough for that.

Also, going for a day or even two without exercising won't make or break it.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 07:59 AM   #5  
Back to Basics!

S/C/G: 187/127/125

Height: 5' 2.5"

I'm not downplaying excercise...but since it sounds like you are just starting, maybe you could focus more on eating right (which I am sure you are doing) and after the weight starts coming off, you might feel better about working out in front of him. OR, after a month or so of focusing on eating, your son might be in a better sleeping pattern.
ChickieChicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 08:31 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

You could just walk outside in a loop around the apartments...

Some other good ideas here!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 09:11 AM   #7  

Jayell No he cant stay in a play pen or anything like that he knows how to get out of them he is a very tall 1 year old lol

i do try to take him to the park when my boy friend is home and it is nice out =) I just kinda feel as if playing with my son and lifting him and stuff like that is not a "workout" i guess that is where my problem is.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:12 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Walking is good exercise though!!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 12:24 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 249.2/on hold/166

I used to do workout classes with my son when he was a year old. You can use him as extra weight. For example I would hold him against my chest as I did squats, sit him on my tummy as I did crunches, lay him on ly legs for leg lifts, lift him up into the air and lower him back own blowing raspberries as I did.

We would also set up a blanket and some toys, drink cup, snack cup etc so if he wants to wonder away from me he has something to do, eat and drink while I finish my workout.

Now that my son is 3.5 years old he knows to give me some space and time if I am working out at home. He will say to me "mama are you going to do your everyday crunch now?" (I used to do Jillian Michaels 30 day Cruch DVD)

Also just some fun dance music and silly dancing for 30 mins is a pretty good workout and the kids love it!

Oh also I used to go on Urban hikes with my son in a wrap on my back, excellent resistance training as he was 30lbs by 1! I wish he would still let me wrap in but he will only let me for about 5 mins. Now we go for lots of walks as he rides his bike or scooter beside me.

I think it is really important for our children to see us being active people and to be active as a family. I am currently trying to implement family walks and hikes when my DH is home. That is another idea for you, to workout as a family.

Also don't beat yourself up if you can not get to or finish a workout as any amount of time you are active is a blessing to your health.
butterflymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 06:26 PM   #10  
Keep on Keep'in on

S/C/G: 174/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I don't know if you have a computer/ or spare dvd tv player.. but My son is 17 months old and I know how it feels to have him up your butt and you can't do anything. My son loves Mickey Mouse and well Disney in general I can put that on the computer/bedroom and let him play and I can work out right out side the door. I try to keep an eye on him and if I go "check " on him I try to keep my heart rate up. You can also get him to join in on the fun. Lifting him and playing and dancing with him is working out! do that for 20 minutes and you'll feel awesome! I can completely understand how it feels not to want to work out with your other half around. We own an elliptical and I feel like I can only use it if I'm home alone because I don;t want to take too much focus off of our family. But it is nice to focus on YOURSELF!
Andrbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 08:52 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 285/211/165

Height: 5'6"

I spent many years thinking that I couldn't lose weight because I didn't have time (or equipment, or knowledge, etc) to work out. So I didn't bother trying for more than a few days.

Then it clicked that it's about what I was putting into my mouth, not the exercise thing, that was the key to weight loss. It takes about an hour to burn 500 calories, but I can eat 500 calories in 5 minutes.

Focus on your diet and the rest will come with time. Good luck!
juliana77 is offline   Reply With Quote