3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   What Has Been Your Biggest Weight Loss Insight (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/242180-what-has-been-your-biggest-weight-loss-insight.html)

sexychick 09-01-2011 02:09 PM

What Has Been Your Biggest Weight Loss Insight

Hi everyone just wanted to know what have you found that is your biggest weight loss insight. Something that made you say aha!. Mine has is the cliche "you are what you eat"

runningfromfat 09-01-2011 02:53 PM

Small changes and slow weight loss are ok. It's more important that you're consistently going in the right direction no matter how quickly you're going there.

sandcar150 09-01-2011 02:56 PM

If you think you can, you can.
If you think you can't, you're right!

Emme 09-01-2011 02:58 PM

Here are a few that I love:
  • "I'm not telling you it's going to be easy. I'm telling you it's going to be worth it."
  • "Time is going to pass anyway, so you might as well do something with it."
  • "The only way I am going to fail is if I give up."

Can't claim ownership of any of them (or the one in my siggy -- found that one on a website), but I love 'em all and they all motivate me in some way! :)

kaplods 09-01-2011 03:06 PM

That frustration, extreme sacrifice, and suffering are the enemies of weight loss, and none of the three are inevitably part of the process. They're obstacles we throw in our own path.

Amberkkski 09-01-2011 03:07 PM

someone had this as their sig not sure who but i just fell in love with it

no one ever said "i wish i hadnt gone to the gym"

diamondgeog 09-01-2011 03:24 PM

For me to stop eating the fast food. I am on no particular diet, just smart eating. Once I realized the fast food carbs were so bad for me AND they left me hungry to boot, cutting them out was easier.

Glory87 09-01-2011 03:49 PM

Find a plan that works for the rest of your life.

Serbrider 09-01-2011 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amberkkski (Post 4016411)
someone had this as their sig not sure who but i just fell in love with it

no one ever said "i wish i hadnt gone to the gym"

Umm... I have. :p But that was because I had just had a REALLY rough day at work, was really upset, and then I felt even worse when during my zumba class at the Y I looked in the mirror and saw how horrid I looked... so I tried the treadmill, and because I hadn't had enough water or food beforehand... got quite close to passing out.

But yeah... I've said it. :p But with most circumstances... never would have been said. ;)

Back to the OP... I guess for me... hmm... probably "you are confident, you are sexy, you are capable, you are strong, you can do this" has been my best mantra. It's kept me running even when I was in pain from the stupid stitch in my side (and I'm glad I did), it's made me able to keep eating the stuff I should and not eat the stuff I shouldn't, etc etc. :)

RJ 1980 09-01-2011 04:44 PM

Hmm my biggest would be dismissing all the weight loss 'recommendations' and doing what worked for me, even though it means skipping breakfast, eating the same foods over and over, eating most of my cals late night, etc...
It comes down what you can live with and stick to, no matter who is telling you you're doing it 'wrong'. It was so freeing to realize that! :D

Also, when I'm feeling down about slow weight loss I remind myself what the scale would look like if I WASN'T making an effort... I'd be gaining at a rapid rate! In that respect, even no gain is an accomplishment.

Tomato 09-01-2011 04:52 PM

Mine was similar to Glory87's - I realized that I needed to overhaul my entire life, not just the food, and it has to be such that I can live it comfortably for the rest of my life.

PreciousMissy 09-01-2011 04:56 PM

Hunger is not an emergency.

I use to always treat my hunger as if it were the end of the world. Now I ask myself if I can wait until xx o'clock when I will have the next opportunity to eat, or if I need to eat right now.

Emme 09-01-2011 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PreciousMissy (Post 4016578)
Hunger is not an emergency.

Ooh, that's a good one! That's going on my little stickynote next to my work computer.

PreciousMissy 09-01-2011 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emme (Post 4016600)
Ooh, that's a good one! That's going on my little stickynote next to my work computer.

:D I'm glad you like it...I borrowed it from someone else on 3FC. ;)

Lovely 09-01-2011 05:23 PM

Oof... I mean there are so many!

One that sticks out at me this moment is when I used to think "It's not fair that so-and-so is so thin. She doesn't have to think about what she eats."

And that's a lie. While they may not think about food the same way that I do -- they DO have to compromise. They might eat that huge piece of cake in front of me, but they go to the gym 4 days a week and they ate a very small lunch today that I didn't see.

It is unfair of me to assume that no one has to work hard to get what they want.

Maybe there are a couple people on earth who CAN eat 3,000 calories a day of crap and not gain weight, but so what? I need to stop whining about what isn't fair and DO something in order to achieve what I want.

Or forever be 331+ pounds and complaining. Instead of under 200 and in control.