Contraceptive implant & weight fluctuation

• Hi all,

I have had the contraceptive implant for little over two years now, and have been noticing dramatic fluctuations in weight. When I'm gaining weight I have these uncontrollable desires to eat ALL of the time, and I'll gain weight quite quickly, then a few months later I'll start losing it, without really changing anything.
    I kinda gain it, stay a while like that then lose it and stay like that for a while. Just up and down all the time.
    Its only been recently that I've thought it could be a link with my Implanon.
    I have always been a bit of a yo-yo-er but have been able to manage it better and not quite with as much weight as in more recent past/present.
    I am now the biggest I've been in a while, which makes me really unhappy but today have started my diet/healthy living.

Has anyone else had/heard of these sorts of problems? I've been looking it up but all that I've been able to find is about weight gain, not really fluctuating weight.

I spoke to my doctor today who told me to have a think about it before making a decision.
    What do you guys think?
  • Keep in mind that with Implanon, the level of hormone released changes over time (higher dose at first, lower over time). So that could account for the shifting gains and losses. Progesterone is also associated both with weight gain *and* loss (though more commonly gain). The amount released on a daily basis is also within a small range (within 5mg), but that means you'll get very slightly more or less than the day before (not enough to make a difference clinically or for protection, but something to keep in mind).

IMO, you're not crazy! it's making a difference, and it's a documented side effect - so don't beat yourself up about it.
  • I wonder if you are having above normal hormone fluctuations. I am not sure if that could be caused by implant or not. Maybe worth a look on Google.
  • I used to have that on BCP.... 5 pounds up or down, not water weight, just... I guess depending on how hungry or not hungry I was feeling. But I could never really cross that 7 lb mark until I got off the BCP altogether.

I don't know if it's the same for an implant, but at least you have my experience as a data point.