Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-20-2011, 10:52 AM   #1  
Vegalitarian

Height: 5'8

Unhappy Why is this happening?

My weight loss has been pretty steady for the past 7 months. I eat 1500/day and lose about 1lb/week. A little over a week ago I reached 131 lbs. I had a couple days off because I wasn't feeling well, but I didn't go overboard or anything. I've stepped on the scale twice this week, and it has told me I'm 135... It's not TOM, and this has never otherwise happened to me. Have I stalled? Is this going to stick? I don't know why this has happened.

I've been pretty down about weight, and this just isn't really helping... Should I reduce my calories more? I wanted to lose weight before school, not gain. Thanks..

Last edited by Astrild; 08-20-2011 at 10:53 AM.
Astrild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:58 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 160/154/127

Height: 5'3

Thumbs up sodium

How about your salt intake? It is easy for me to fluctuate that much if I've been on a pretty low sodium diet and then indulge in salty foods for a few days. I'd try to drink tons of water and get some exercise in...if you are already exercising try ramping it up a little.

You are doing great, we all have set backs. Don't let this get you down, You've done so well!!
meg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 11:00 AM   #3  
Vegalitarian

Thanks. I haven't consumed much extra salt to my knowledge, and I drink a lot of water... but I will ramp it up.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:01 AM   #4  
It's mine for the taking

S/C/G: 238 / see ticker / 188

Height: 5'6"

I would just stick to your plan for another week at least and if you still don't see any movement maybe reduce your calories by 100 and try that for a week. Alternatively you could keep the same calories but add more or different exercise.

Also, consider how much sodium you've eaten, if its been high in the last week that might be the reason and you'll just need to give it a bit of time to flush out. When I eat in restaurants or eat prepared foods this happens to me all the time.
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 11:01 AM   #5  
hot mama!

S/C/G: 184/149/130

Height: 5'4"

Do you live somewhere where it is hot? Being out in the heat can make me retain water. You could also be retaining water from your few days off plan.

I'm sure it'll come off. Don't get down. =)
Tanna Banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 11:43 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Scales fluctuate for all sorts of reasons. Your plan is working, and you deviated from it for a couple of days. Most likely that caused water retention. Don't panic, and don't give the scale too much power.

Do what you have been and see what the scale says next week. If it's still up, then reevaluate.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:06 PM   #7  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather View Post
Scales fluctuate for all sorts of reasons. Your plan is working, and you deviated from it for a couple of days. Most likely that caused water retention. Don't panic, and don't give the scale too much power.

Do what you have been and see what the scale says next week. If it's still up, then reevaluate.
I agree with this wholeheartedly, except that I'd say give it 2-3 weeks before you even think of reevaluating. Your plan is working; trust it.

It's not uncommon for the body to readjust periodically after a period of loss. I often find when this happens to me that the weight loss flattens out for a few weeks but I experience relatively rapid changes in my shape.

Be patient and trust your plan.
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:24 PM   #8  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

If you had a different KIND of food during those days off, that can cause a change in weight even if you didn't have that many additional calories.

You know how the first week on a new diet, most people lose a pretty big amount and everyone says "well, it's mostly water weight"? Well, if you were eating pretty cleanly, not too high carb, and with a focus on whole foods, if you ate a bit more carby and/or processed foods, your body rebuilds up the glycogen and with it, some extra water.

This is a pretty good explanation http://www.phlaunt.com/lowcarb/19058097.php
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:26 PM   #9  

You aren't stalled until you are the same weight for a month.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:31 PM   #10  

Keep it up. Everyone has made great suggestions and I have one more. You are doing great and have lost a lot. Make sure you focus on giving yourself credit... rather than beating yourself up.
KayMaxim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 01:48 PM   #11  
Vegalitarian

Thanks everyone. I will just have to stick to it and see how this goes. I'm just not used to this at all. I may have had more carbs than usual... Whatever it is, I'm drinking a ton of water today and trying not to despair!
Old 08-21-2011, 12:51 PM   #12  
Vegalitarian

Okay, I managed about 4.5 liters of water yesterday. Today the scale went down 2lbs. Can I expect it to go down some more? Reason tells me yes, but it's nice to have reassuring. haha The only thing still stressing me out is that I was looking pretty dehydrated (getting marks all over, collar bones showing,) and don't know where else I'd be carrying it, unless it's in my gut.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:14 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

My advice is to not worry about the short term. It will take care of itself. Focus on your long-term goals.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 05:32 PM   #14  

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by carter View Post
It's not uncommon for the body to readjust periodically after a period of loss. I often find when this happens to me that the weight loss flattens out for a few weeks but I experience relatively rapid changes in my shape.

Be patient and trust your plan.
I agree completely with this and the advice given by other posters.
I was getting a bit cranky with my scale because it had not changed in 2 weeks...then over a 2 day time frame my too tight in the waist pants became to big! I will take big changes like that on my waist over the constant downward movement of the scale! I know it is hard, but be patient.

Last edited by envelope; 08-21-2011 at 05:41 PM.
envelope is offline   Reply With Quote