Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-12-2011, 01:41 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 145/137/120

Height: 5'4

Default First Weigh in tomorrow

I'm weighing in for the first tomorrow since I declared my starting weight exactly a week ago.

Since then, I've been sticking to my guns and eating right and exercising daily.

But I'm scared and nervous I'll lose my motivation if the numbers don't drop at all.

How do I deal with this?
Unthinkables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 05:23 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

Just get it over with and remember that a single number is pretty insignificant! There's no reason to stop a diet if it doesn't work straight away or stalls temporarily, it's still a good thing to do and if done right, will still result in weight loss.

I didn't weigh myself for the first month. I have a medical condition which makes exercise impossible and messes with metabolism, and I honestly wasn't sure if dieting was going to work for me or not. I waited until I could tell that my clothes were looser, then bought the scale and have weighed myself daily ever since. It's a personal preference, but I like to weigh daily because that way it's easier to look at the overall pattern rather than focus on the individual little fluctuations. You can see a two month weight log for me, starting from the day I first weighed myself, at .

Best of luck, and remember that whatever the scale says, we're here to support you.
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:23 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 196/139/135

I think you'll lose. I lost a significant amount the first week of my lifestyle change because of water weight. (6 pounds! I was terrified it would come right back because how could I keep off 6 pounds? But it did!)

Like Esofia said though, you have to be doing this for more than the numbers. At your height and weight, you're in the normal range of the BMI. (I know because 145 is my "healthy BMI" goal, even though I don't put much stock in the BMI as an indicator of health. It would just feel good to be classified as healthy by everyone. ) So why is the number so important to you? Are you more interested in toning up your problem areas and in improving your overall nutrition? Focus on those things then. Set small goals related to those in addition to an overall weight goal.

I dread a stalled scale every Friday that I step on it. But I know deep down that a scale is just the easiest method to measure progress. If I don't lose anything one week, I'm not going to give up my new food habits or stop exercising because those things have so many more benefits than simply helping the scale go down. Let us know how it goes today!
KatieC87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:30 AM   #4  
Overweight again...dang

S/C/G: 213/160.3/135

Height: 5'5"

Take a deep breath, and step on the scale.

For me, avoiding the scale means trouble. I don't lose and I end up gaining.... I admire Esofia's motivation and ability to stick with it until she could feel a noticeable change! Seriously! I'd work hard, not notice a change, not weigh myself, and dive in to a bag of powdered gem donuts!

I vowed I would never be without a scale again, and I'd weigh myself weekly. I still have not kept that promise to myself, and I've gained 15 pounds. UGH!

I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised. Just do it! Good luck!
twinieten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:42 AM   #5  
Closet skinny chick! :)

S/C/G: 238/ticker/150

Height: 5'3"

Good luck! How did it go?
Chantelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 05:58 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 145/137/120

Esofia, wow congrats on your weightloss!! And also, I had no idea the body coud fluctuate like that. I'm learning so many new things that I know I'll be happy to know later on when I'm wondering why I gained instead of lost.

KatieC87, thank you for reminding me what I'm really trying to do. I get so caught up in the pounds rather than focusing on the progress that truly matters.

twinieten, I HEAR you! What really kept me sticking to my diet was remember my shock of my doctor telling me I weighed 145. I need to see that number it's the ultimate reality check. Although, KatieC87 reminded me that it is only a number, it is also the type of proof we can't hide in a mask of denial, like a more subjective method might be.

I just weighed myself, and I think my scale is broken because it says I lost 7 pounds?? I'm going to have to clarify this at the gym's scale. I trust their's more....

After all, I've been avoiding mine for so long, it's seemingly out of commission!
Unthinkables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 06:36 PM   #7  
Overweight again...dang

S/C/G: 213/160.3/135

Height: 5'5"

Wow congrats on the 7! I hope the gym scale shows the same change!
twinieten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 12:48 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 196/139/135

7 pounds is FANTASTIC! I hope your gym scale showed the same loss.
KatieC87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 04:27 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

Congratulations! 7 pounds isn't unusual for the first week, you can lose a lot of water. You need to stick with the same scale for consistency, they can vary quite a bit. If you're not sure whether your scale works, test it out by weighing yourself repeatedly, checking whether it gives a different reading if placed on another bit of the floor, that sort of thing.
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote