Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 01:01 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 188.5/112/119

Height: 5'5"

Unhappy Beyond my goal... but still feel FAT!

Helloo (:

So my original goal was 133 (9.5 stone) and I always knew when I got to it I would lose a few more lbs because I set it quite high (so I could become a free WW member quicker :P ). Anyways, I now weigh 125.5 which should be a good weight.. but I still have loads of fat ! I am aiming to get down to 119 now (8.5 stone) because I just still don't feel happy. I don't look that fat in photos but I still have fat arms and a fat belly . I am doing wii fit everyday to try and tone up but I feel like the fat will never go . Has anyone else had this experience? I really need advice/support as everyone keeps telling me not to lose anymore etc, but I'm NOT happy!

Also, WW doesn't allow you to have a BMI of below 20 and 'kick you out' if you BMI goes below this - my leader has warned me! However, BMI seems to be a bit stupid, and also most people seem to say a BMI of 18.5 is still healthy, especially at my age (16).

Thanks for reading (:

Last edited by Fairy; 08-07-2011 at 01:02 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:15 PM   #2  
On the slow track.

S/C/G: 210/ticker/160

Height: 5'9

Oh, boo. That sounds tough. It also sounds like body dismorphia. Having jiggly bits is not the same as being fat!

Have you thought about taking up weight training? In the weight lifting world we talk about people being skinny-fat: that is, skinny and normal weight but with lots of jiggly bits and a high % of body fat. The solution to that problem is to build muscle and lose fat so that you stay the same size but your body becomes taut and lean rather than jiggly.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:41 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 196/139/135

Height: 5'4

I second the suggestion to try weight training. It will tone up your jiggly bits, and you won't need to worry about becoming underweight to do it. Good luck!
Old 08-07-2011, 01:44 PM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

There is no way you are "fat" at 130 and 5'4". You need to change your perception of yourself. Women's bodies are supposed to have some fat! Unless your ideal for yourself is to look like a teenage boy...

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 08-07-2011 at 03:18 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:53 PM   #5  
~Kim~

I agree with DietVet. I remember being a teenager and having strong feelings about things that honestly when I look back on now seem so silly. I'm not saying it's silly to feel like you're fat even if you're not, but I do know that because of hormones and all the growing pains of life you're going to be going through for the next couple years, that you might have trouble seeing things clearly.

I think you need to talk to someone about how you're feeling. Start with you're parents and hopefully they'll be able to help you decide if you could use some help from a professional. There is nothing wrong with seeking help. If you need help with how you're feeling than it's better to get it now before you get the chance to do something that could seriously harm yourself in the future.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:54 PM   #6  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

First off, congrats on the weight loss! I would normally suggest weight lifting. It's definitely possible to be skinny fat as others have described. However, since we're only 16 you should probably speak with your doctor first before doing any programs (I know that weight training can sometimes be harmful if you're too young and still growing but I'm not sure at what age it's "ok").

I'm assuming you're still in high school? Do you have any sports at your school that you could join? I did track/crosscountry in high school and that really helped in terms of toning me up. It sounds like weight loss in and of itself shouldn't be your goal but rather you might want to look into something like HIIT (high intensity interval training), I know when I used to run in high school we would do interval training often.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:01 PM   #7  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Also, it takes time for skin to tighten up after weight loss. Your fat disappears faster than the skin can shrink up and some people's skin never shrinks up. Don't confuse loose skin (and some fat under that skin as that's where the fat layers on women are) with extra fat you need to lose. Give it time, tone up, and enjoy your new thinner body.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:15 PM   #8  
Up.Forward.Higher.Always.

S/C/G: 235/ticker/130's

Height: 5' 5"

Congrats on the loss! I'll give another vote to adding some kind of resistance training program to your workouts. Also, get your body fat percentage measured by your dr. or someone at the gym. It's a lot better tool than looking at BMI charts. You might have a higher body fat percentage than the WW people think, especially if you feel like you still have some fat hanging on. As others have said, you might not really need to think in terms of losing weight, but in terms of losing fat and gaining lean mass.

It also might all be in your head . I bet other people think you look great. Either way, be proud of what you've accomplished so far!
Old 08-07-2011, 06:45 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 120/104/fit

Height: 5"3

As you are only 16, I think a BMI around 19-20 sounds good! It looks fit on a young body even if you are not so fit haha. It means 110-114 lbs for 5"4. But I also suggest you to tone a little bit; you'll feel a lot better!
Old 08-07-2011, 06:59 PM   #10  
hot mama!

S/C/G: 184/149/130

Height: 5'4"

When I was 16 I was 5'4" and weighed right around 130 lbs. I thought I was fat...but... I wore a size four. Really, I was just VERY muscular. My BF% was pretty low, and I was in fantastic shape- but I never looked like the skinny, lithe girls. For me, a BMI of 19-20 would have been unhealthy because of my build. Consider your body type when setting goals. It's really important, especially because you are a growing, developing young lady.

Your weight loss is great, congratulations on your hard work and dedication. It's important to not be too hard on yourself as you move forward. Just keep exercising and eating an appropriate amount of healthy foods.

Best wishes!
Old 08-07-2011, 11:48 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

You're definitely at a healthy weight. Sometimes there's a bit of backlash from being overweight- your mind is still set in the idea that you're "fat," so much so that it can't objectively assess how you actually look, even after you lose the weight. Friends have told me that it took them up to a year for their minds to readjust to the new body image. *EDIT*- this is the body dismorphia that Dietvet mentioned

However, you might want to try exercise. Keep your maintenance level calories (increased for the exercise) and try working out a bit more than you are now (unless you're working out a lot already.) This will raise the levels of the hormones which give you a feeling of well-being, while firming and toning so that you can see and feel the progress your body is making.

Last edited by kelly315; 08-07-2011 at 11:52 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:50 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

I'm also concerned that this is becoming an eating disorder. It sounds like there are an awful lot of people telling you that you're not fat, and you think that they're all wrong, that the BMI is wrong, and that you are actually fat when from your stats you aren't anywhere near it. Having the odd bit of loose flesh is totally normal; being terribly upset about it and being convinced that you're horribly fat is a mental health problem.

I think the first thing that you need to do is to become comfortable with your body the way it is. You're at a healthy weight, you probably look great, so losing a few more pounds is not the top of your priority list. Being comfortable in your own skin is. Try exercising as advised above, but set yourself an upper limit for exercising, not very high, so that you do not end up overdoing it (excessive exercise being a hallmark of anorexia). Then eat at maintenance level for someone of your weight who is doing that level of exercise. Keep that up for a month, then reassess. If you are feeling less anxious about it all by that point, try a modest calorie deficit as well. If you're feeling more anxious, and/or are noticing unhealthy behaviours such as starving yourself, talk to a doctor and/or an eating disorder helpline/support group.
Closed Thread