Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-20-2011, 09:50 AM   #31  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

I have a facebook "friend" who I went to high school who was obese until we graduated and is now a stick and constantly posts ridiculous messages about overweight people, sometimes TAKES PICTURES ON HER CELL PHONE of overweight people sitting at bars and makes nasty comments. This is in between posts about entering bikini contests and posting pictures of her showing her midriff and acting like she was never in her life fat (and let's not even get into a discussion on her plastic surgery).

She's a nasty person and I hide her on my feed, but every so often I go to her page and read her stuff just to get pissed off. I don't know why.

Point is, some people just have to knock others down to feel good about themselves. And maybe she's not competing with you, maybe she's just so excited that she's finally successful at a diet that she has to broadcast it to the world.

Just go about your business and worry about taking it off and keeping it off- something she probably isn't thinking about at all.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:05 PM   #32  

Yeah i was on twitter and i was posting about my weight loss journey then a few other followers who i know in real life, started to do the same. I've since then decided to confine my weight loss journey and stuff onto 3fc.

It is hard to not feel jealous of anyone doing better than you, i think its just part of being a human.
irishcanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 03:51 AM   #33  
On my way to Skinny!

S/C/G: SW220/150-160GW

Height: 5'5

question- how do you hide someones feed? A few of you mentioned it, im curious!!? Thanks
mateosmama2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:02 AM   #34  

S/C/G: 306/240/140

Height: 5'5

Mateosmama: Go to any of their posts on your feed and roll over their name. A small "x" should appear. Click on the "x" and it will give you the option of hiding that particular post, or every post by that person.

Hope that helps!
Kaonashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:10 AM   #35  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

I agree that you should hide the posts by this person. It's not worth the stress. Meanwhile, do think about how your Facebook weight updates could be upsetting your friends just as much. If any of them are overweight or think they're overweight, it's likely to be upsetting for them. A 3FC blog or similar may be a better place for weight loss updates.
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:09 AM   #36  

S/C/G: 247/187/163

Height: 5ft 7in

You can also add her to a list where she doesn't see your status updates... that way you may know if she's really competing... give her a chance to have nothing to compete with.
BetterLikeMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:00 AM   #37  
Maybe one day...

Just try and ignore her...I agree, don't defriend but maybe block her updates from your wall. Don't let her get to you. While you're being wholly honest maybe she feels a bit threatened too & is exaggerating her weight loss a little

Last edited by skinnysooz; 07-21-2011 at 08:02 AM.
skinnysooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:59 PM   #38  
Gotta Lose to Win

S/C/G: 209/209/130

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esofia View Post
I agree that you should hide the posts by this person. It's not worth the stress. Meanwhile, do think about how your Facebook weight updates could be upsetting your friends just as much. If any of them are overweight or think they're overweight, it's likely to be upsetting for them. A 3FC blog or similar may be a better place for weight loss updates.
after i made the post here, i thought about how maybe i was turning the tables and making other people feel bad while im talking about my weight loss. so since i havent made any weight loss updates on fb. and low and behold neither has she <_<
kimicat76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:28 PM   #39  

S/C/G: 162/154.0/115

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimicat76 View Post
after i made the post here, i thought about how maybe i was turning the tables and making other people feel bad while im talking about my weight loss. so since i havent made any weight loss updates on fb. and low and behold neither has she <_<
I made ONE post on my facebook about how I was so excited to have lost 25lbs, and while a LOT of people were really supportive, one chick told me no way I lost 25lbs and fit into size 3 jeans. WOW, really? She was also on some kind of nonsense diet.

Since then I've kept the weight loss talk to a minimum on facebook, figuring she might have been saying what some others were just thinking.

At any rate, glad to see that she hasn't been posting since she hasn't had any competition. You're doing great and have made a lifestyle change which will get you exactly where you want to be!
Dorian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:51 PM   #40  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimicat76 View Post
Maybe I'm off-base here, but I believe at some point, people HAVE to be responsible for their own feelings... meaning that we can't be overly concerned with whether or not other people "feel bad" when we talk/post about our weight loss. Weight loss is about so much more than "looking good"! - It's about health benefits and others things as well, and there's nothing wrong with tooting our own horn as long as we don't toot it so loud that it deafens others, capiche?

ETA: THIS IS NOT DIRECTED AT THE O.P. OF THIS THREAD. I understand jealousy - it's a very human emotion. It's quite understandable to feel jealous toward someone who is achieving when you're struggling so hard. What I'm responding to is like where Dorian5 said: one chick told me no way I lost 25lbs and fit into size 3 jeans. WOW, really? I mean - that's just ludicrous ... so catty & snide! BTW Dorian, you look absolutely smashing & I bet you feel great too!
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 02:11 PM   #41  

S/C/G: 162/154.0/115

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Patrol View Post
What I'm responding to is like where Dorian5 said: one chick told me no way I lost 25lbs and fit into size 3 jeans. WOW, really? I mean - that's just ludicrous ... so catty & snide! BTW Dorian, you look absolutely smashing & I bet you feel great too!
You are so sweet. This chick actually says horrible crap to most all females, not just me. Her remark was something like "When I weighed less than you in high school I wore a 5 at 120, no WAY you wear a 3" -- I have virtually no hips and I'm short, which is why my pants size is small, but I had no idea that anyone would need for me to explain it! I just deleted the whole post.

After I posted on here about that, I was inspired and I went through and deleted some facebook "friends" -- her included. No need to be negative like that! She must have low self esteem (probably the OP's facebook "friend" too!)

I love how supportive everyone here is of each other, all the posters on here are BEAUTIFUL in so many ways, both their personalities and physically.
Dorian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 03:34 PM   #42  
~Star~

S/C/G: 236.4/~ticker~/150

Height: 5'6"

Sounds like posting here instead was definitely the answer So glad!

I don't post weight loss subjects on my FB, but I did start a group on Facebook (private, so only other members see posts) because there were a bunch of us that were trying to make healthier decisions for our bodies; be it weight loss, a different eating habit, fitness, etc. So that gave me an outlet before I found this place

Our journeys are personal and sometimes, even when we try not to let it bother, other people's words hurt and discourage us. I think an outlet is necessary to success
ItsMyTurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:48 PM   #43  
Don't give up.

S/C/G: 195/195/165

Height: 5'0"

Some people thrive on competition because that's what motivates them. If competing against you is making her work harder, then that is good for her. If she's you're friend, try to be happy for her. If, however, you don't like that she is achieving her successes quicker than you, you can either work harder yourself to compete against her or just tune it out and recognize that every person is different and the rate at which she will make progress doesn't have to be the same as your rate of progress. If she is lying and can't back up her claims, she will look foolish all on her own. However, try to take joy in your own accomplishments. And, try to think about why you're feeling this jealousy. Is it disappointment in your own quality of effort? Then work harder to make yourself happy. Is it disbelief of her progress? If she's lying, the truth will emerge. Is it just that you think she's trying to show you up? If so, think about whether or not you actually want that kind of negativity in your life. Friends are supposed to be supportive, not secret enemies, and if she isn't really a friend and is just masking her desire to harm you by pretending to compete and be better at what she is doing, then you can do without her in your life. At any rate, it sounds like you are making some solid progress that you can maintain, so kudos to you! Try and see the great work you're doing and just tune her out if she offends you. And, remember, if you don't want the drama of deleting a friend, you could always just hide her comments so that they don't seem like they are in your face all the time. Hang in there and don't let jealousy get you down; recognizing a wayward feeling is the first step to analyzing and controlling it.
neon_zephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:58 AM   #44  

S/C/G: 247/187/163

Height: 5ft 7in

I've actually never made any comments about my weight loss on facebook. It never even really occurred to me to do so as I never really made one of those 'right! I'm making a change!' decisions. I tell people in conversation how much I've lost and to those who didn't know me before, they don't tend to believe me... especially as I de-tagged almost all the fat pics of me on facebook.

Girls are so weird though, the motivations to be supportive/non-supportive are so mental sometimes!
BetterLikeMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 06:46 AM   #45  
amber

S/C/G: 318/288.8/220

Height: 5'5"

I understand where you are coming from. I know many here use diets and that is fine, most of them know they can't just revert back to old ways and that is why many diets don't work 5 10 15 years down the road. It doesn't matter. You are doing it, period. Slowly or not, you're doing it and doing it healthy and when you reach goal it wont be difficult to maintain, or as difficult I guess.

By the way I live in Burleson, is it creepy that I'd like to hang out with people that live close by who are losing weight as well? I may have to make a post.

Also, that's why I don't use fb, most of the time it seems everyone is just trying to one up someone else. If people want to talk to me they can call, not leave a message. If they don't call what they had to say wasn't important or they aren't. Just my rant for the day lol.
ButterCup85 is offline   Reply With Quote