Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-11-2011, 02:09 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 209/160/145

Height: 5'1"

Default Going home for a long weekend :(

Why is it so damn hard to keep on track when I'm not at my own place? I'll do great all week, but it's like I forget all my hard work once I go home, despite there still being healthy choices available.

It's not even that I'll eat bad for you crap (I almost never do now), but I'll inevitably go back to eating 1400-1500 a day during that weekend and end up not losing at all. Meh! Need to find some way of keeping myself focused from thursday-sunday so I can actually be down a pound (for the first time in forever) when I weigh in this week.
doopdoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:12 PM   #2  

I always eat more when I visit home, too. I think it's just the celebratory mood, and of course, I associate good times with food. The time feels "special" so that tends to transfer over to how I feel about eating. I've gotten much better over the years, though, and it helps that my sisters are into eating right and being active. Maybe you could try doing some activities (e.g., bike riding, going for a walk, etc.) to keep your mind off eating.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:37 PM   #3  
Playing to Lose

S/C/G: 194/ticker/129

Height: 5' 1"

I went into panic mode too when I went home over Memorial Day weekend. I am a creature of habit and when my routine is stirred up, I lose focus. So the first thing I did when I got there was buy all the food I would have purchased had I been home. I would make this food for dinner/snacks as opposed to eating what my family had. It was still a little difficult because I associate my family to eating comfort foods like meatloaf, pasta, mac & cheese, etc.

But the feeling of being in control by having my own food in the house was more satisfying to me than eating off plan and having NO control.

Have a great time with your family and don't have too much anxiety over it. You will overcome this hurdle and be a better person for it!

Good luck and have a safe trip!
ShanIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:18 PM   #4  

If you are on a journey to make permanent lifestyle changes that result in weight loss, it doesn't stop on the weekend, it's lifestyle. If you are on a diet, then you think of it as having a stopping point and it ususally isn't successful because you let things like going home become occasions to overeat or eat foods that don't support your goals.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote