Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-08-2011, 10:11 PM   #16  
xty
bright hearted

S/C/G: 240/127/125

Height: 5'6

Body fat calculations can vary quite widely based on the methods used. A good summary is here: http://new-fitness.com/body_fat_analyzing.html

Even if your method isnt the most accurate vs actual bf%, it can still be valuable if it is at least consistently incorrect...that way you can watch the trend to see how you are changing.

Re: goal bf%. At 5'6 and 121lbs I was ~17%bf (based on a more accurate type of measurement involving a professional). Seems extremely low, but I was eating ~1600c/day, muscular and still had some wobbly bits. And this was last fall, not like 10yrs ago Genetically though, I am small framed and have size A cup (even at 240lbs I was a big B)...and women typically support a higher bf% than men due to hips, butt, boobs....so for me the redline is probably closer to like 15% for health, but I cant imagine the pain of getting there, undesirable.

But I didnt have a goal bf%, I just now know what felt the best...17-19%. Even now, Im trying to think of my "goal" weight as: whatever weight I am when I feel like maintenance is something I can live with. During my personal journey, I am learning the # (BMI, bf%, weight, measurements) that actually ends of being the "goal" will continue to change based on my age, health and what is going on in my life. Instead of feeling like a failure for not meeting the "target", Im trying to think of my target as essentially doing the best I can given the current circumstances.
xty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:46 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Not to beat a dead horse but I tried another body fat calculator, because I love an online test and here are my results:

Using your measurements of a 36 inches waist and weight of 197 pounds your body fat percentage is estimated to be 45.62 % using the U.S. Navy body fat formula, or 28.67 % using the formula developed by the YMCA, or 88.40 % using the U.S. Army body fat algorithm, or -3.53 % using the U.S. Marine body fat algorithm.

Shows you what a test will tell you.

BTW this is the test http://www.healthstatus.com/calculat...age-calculator

Last edited by zoodoo613; 07-12-2011 at 07:48 AM. Reason: add link
zoodoo613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:10 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys View Post
I know that trying to find a body fat percentage is nearly impossible, but I'm curious what people in general hope to achieve or what's even possible to achieve without herculean effort?

I ask because my husband sent me this chart today and I was quite floored by it and what it considered acceptable fat levels. http://www.bodyspex.com/community.aspx?articleID=3
According to the BMI calculation I found online, I need to lose another 20 lbs to get out of "obese" and into "overweight". That will get me lower than I've been in 10 years. I am happy with every pound I lose. I just want to weigh less than I did yesterday.

Carol
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:27 AM   #19  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoodoo613 View Post
Not to beat a dead horse but I tried another body fat calculator, because I love an online test and here are my results:

Using your measurements of a 36 inches waist and weight of 197 pounds your body fat percentage is estimated to be 45.62 % using the U.S. Navy body fat formula, or 28.67 % using the formula developed by the YMCA, or 88.40 % using the U.S. Army body fat algorithm, or -3.53 % using the U.S. Marine body fat algorithm.

That was cool. It gave me this:

Using your measurements of a 35 inches waist and weight of 197 pounds your body fat percentage is estimated to be 37.75 % using the U.S. Navy body fat formula, or 32.89 % using the formula developed by the YMCA, or 32.90 % using the U.S. Army body fat algorithm, or 24.91 % using the U.S. Marine body fat algorithm.

Which just shows you how the same weight for two people can mean completely different things, especially if they are built very differently (and different heights, of course).
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:40 PM   #20  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys View Post
That was cool. It gave me this:

Using your measurements of a 35 inches waist and weight of 197 pounds your body fat percentage is estimated to be 37.75 % using the U.S. Navy body fat formula, or 32.89 % using the formula developed by the YMCA, or 32.90 % using the U.S. Army body fat algorithm, or 24.91 % using the U.S. Marine body fat algorithm.

Which just shows you how the same weight for two people can mean completely different things, especially if they are built very differently (and different heights, of course).
Whoa, I get an insane difference between those scales. I got something like 32-37% for the first two and then over 50% for the second two. I wonder if I'm measuring something incorrectly? What are the US Army body fat and US Marine body fat algorithm's based on??? Maybe they are made just for men?

ETA: I don't have a goal body fat pecentage at the moment because I don't have an accurate way to calculate it. I finally found an nutritionist but she's on vacation until next month so hopefully then I can get an accurate measurement and start thinking about this.

Last edited by runningfromfat; 07-12-2011 at 12:41 PM.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:00 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfromfat View Post
Whoa, I get an insane difference between those scales. I got something like 32-37% for the first two and then over 50% for the second two. I wonder if I'm measuring something incorrectly? What are the US Army body fat and US Marine body fat algorithm's based on??? Maybe they are made just for men?

ETA: I don't have a goal body fat pecentage at the moment because I don't have an accurate way to calculate it. I finally found an nutritionist but she's on vacation until next month so hopefully then I can get an accurate measurement and start thinking about this.
I still win -3.5%-88%. Now that's a range. What would -3.5 even mean? I need to look up their test and see what measurements they use.
zoodoo613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:03 PM   #22  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
I still win -3.5%-88%. Now that's a range. What would -3.5 even mean? I need to look up their test and see what measurements they use.
Haha, yeah, that test seems totally arbitrary! The first two seem ok and about what I'd guess (somewhere in the mid-30's) but there's just no way I'm at 50% and above! I tried looking at what they measured but I'm on my work computer and it's pretty horrible. Let me know what you find out!
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:05 PM   #23  

Quote:

Haha...I've had some pretty wacky results as well. Some telling me I'm as high as 30% or as low as 12%. No way to both. My trainer friend told me if your abs start to show some definition you are between 17%-19%. If they start to look 'cut' then you're 15% or below. I did mine with a skin-fold caliper and it came out to 18.2% which makes sense to me b/c from all the running I've been doing, my abs have definitely started to get toned and defined. So I know for me that that percentage is correct. But you're right, tests, smests, lol.
fitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:28 PM   #24  

I'm 24-25%.. I'd like to be around 20.. All my fat is in my thighs and I'd like to lose that fat asap
khat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:14 PM   #25  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

I'm between 16-17%bf now...trying to get down to 14-15%bf. I'm 44 yrs old so lower bodyfat for me means MORE FOOD!...and I LOVE FOOD!!!
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:28 PM   #26  

The key to me reducing my body fat is losing two more inches from my waist to make it 24". Then I think I may hit my goal of 15% body fat. *crosses fingers* But I'll take 17% or even 16% in the meantime, lol. Hopefully, my HIIT cardio is the missing link. Oh well.
fitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:30 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 110/105

Height: 5'2

I think I am around 20% going off of 'tests' I have found online...I would like to get down around 15-16%
rawbanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:47 PM   #28  
it's always something

I'm aiming for 40% less jiggle. Does that count?

It's funny to see this thread because just this morning I ran across my Omron fat loss monitor that I bought a few years ago and completely forgot about. I think I'll buy fresh batteries and start using it.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:55 PM   #29  
Being Me-Inside and Out

S/C/G: 259/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5

Suzanne: I love the 40% less jiggle! Can I up it to 50%?

As for me, I go more with weight, but I want to shoot for 22-24% which is neatly in the healthy range and also around my weight goal.
sheramama is offline   Reply With Quote