Lost 70+ pounds...and FURIOUS!

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • Is our weight causing you any trouble besides what you think about yourself?
    Do you have kissing thighs that chafe, or a double chin, or bingo wings that rub your sides? If you have physical discomfort at your weight I'd suggest you go to your nutritionist or gp, get him to find you your ideal caloric intake and follow it. It might take years to lose those last few pounds, but it will be easy.

If your discomfort is only psychological I don't think you need a diet but a self-esteem and self-worth boost. You have to actively become your own parent for a while and pat yourself on the back, get clothes you wanted, visit the beach. If you let yourself you will realise that unless you are a threat nobody really cares about something as little as a few pounds overweight. And if you are a threat it means they consider you beautiful/charming enough to threaten them win win situation.
  • A few people have mentioned the body fat percentage, and there's a website that you can do a very general check on.

It's a UK based website, and so I don't know whether it'll work to do the tests. You basically need to measure your waist, hips, wrist and forearm, height and weight and it tells you what your rough body fat percentage is.

From this, it tells me mine's 28% which is high-end but healthy for a woman. It means that although you're overweight (in my case, 30lbs overweight!), I'm actually in reasonably good physical shape.
    FYI, my BMI is 29 which is almost obese

http://www.channel4embarrassingillne...healthchecker/
  • Quote: A few people have mentioned the body fat percentage, and there's a website that you can do a very general check on.

It's a UK based website, and so I don't know whether it'll work to do the tests. You basically need to measure your waist, hips, wrist and forearm, height and weight and it tells you what your rough body fat percentage is.

From this, it tells me mine's 28% which is high-end but healthy for a woman. It means that although you're overweight (in my case, 30lbs overweight!), I'm actually in reasonably good physical shape.
    FYI, my BMI is 29 which is almost obese

http://www.channel4embarrassingillne...healthchecker/
    Interesting. it put me at 27% body fat. My body monitor scale bounces around between 27-33%.

What it DOES mean is that I'm on the right track and that yes, indeed, I am getting healthier. Which I can verify by not needing blood pressure meds any more, not having high cholesterol and having my blood sugars in check. Plus, in general just feeling great!
  • Quote:
    I guess I should have mentioned that I have a bit of a history of disordered eating and body image. For example, I would never think of someone wearing a size 6-8 in H&M as fat, I can't help but think of myself in that way (my profile is out of date, but I don't know my weight so I can't change it). So even though I can trade clothes with my friends who weigh 20 lbs less than me, I still look at the number on the scale and decide that I must just be in denial. I guess I just don't know when I can finally decide that I'm not fat anymore, so I cling to numbers like they're absolute.
    Ding ding ding ding ding.

Can I recommend a book for you to read? I bought one off A M A Z O N for about $3 used. It's called Think Yourself Thin. It's not a diet, it's a mental focus thing. I think it might help.
  • The lower your body weight, the less calories you need (not considering activity level). So it can get frustrating to lose weight when you have less weight to lose, because you should net at least 1200 calories a day. Ultimately, you can't lose weight as fast as when you weighed more.

You might consider weight lifting--it might make you feel healthier, and it could help you raise your metabolism and turn the fat into muscle.

Losing weight isn't everything. I used to be really small, but the amount of work it took me to stay that way was more than I got out of it. Weight isn't the ultimate indicator of happiness--although being overweight can certainly make obstacles for happiness. I am trying to find a diet that I can slowly lose weight, which isn't too rigid or demanding.