Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-04-2011, 12:55 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 381/327/175

Height: 5'10"

Talking What program are you on, and how's progress?

Hi - I've been posting for a few weeks now and from looking at signatures, tickers and posts, I see that so many of you have been very successful --and Im just wondering what programs you are all on and how you're progressing.

Me, I've forgone a "formal" program and just eating more sensibly and eating sensible portions. I've lost a little over 50 pounds in almost a year -- not fast weight loss, but it has been stress-free and I know I'll be eating this way for the rest of my life. I see a few others share this philosophy, but others refer to programs.

How about you?

Mary (Don't Worry - Be Happy! )
noregrets4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 01:05 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 319/264/200

Height: 5' 6"

I have tried almost every diet. Basic weighing, measuring and accurate calorie counting / tracking along with light to medium exercise (walking, bicycling, yard work and so forth seems to work the best for me. I have not given up any food types at all. I do watch the quantity that I eat of what some may consider forbidden foods very carefully and I either fit them into my daily calorie allowance or I will not eat them.

Larry,
Larry H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 01:34 PM   #3  
Keep on Moving!

I'm on the Rosemary Conley plan - calorie counting and less than 5% fat (except for a daily treat), with a strong focus on exercise. The weekly class includes 45 minutes of Zumba, which I love. I also do combat DVDs, lots of walking and have just started jogging! I've lost just over two stone so far (1 stone = 14lbs).
georgeshair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 02:25 PM   #4  

I'm just calorie counting, trying to stay between 1200 - 1400 calories a day with one day a week at 1800 - 2000 (I do out to dinner once a week). I've made the decision not to weigh or measure myself because I tend to let the numbers alter my mood too often (if the numbers are good, I get cocky and if the numbers are bad, I feel discouraged and want to give up). So, for now, I'm trying to focus on just creating healthier behaviors, and I've been successful so far----of course, it has only been a month!
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:16 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

Height: 5'7"

I calorie count and try to eat a balance of 1/3 protein/ 1/3 fat/ 1/3 complex carbs. I eat 1,400-1,500 calories a day. Then I do 1/2 weight training and 1/2 cardio at a gym 3x a week and am doing to C25K running program about 2x a week. I eat back some of the calories I burn. I've lost 66 lbs. very slowly. I tend to lose about 5 lbs. a month. I hope to be able to live this way the rest of my life.

Previously I lost 40 lbs. on Jenny Craig but gained it back because I didn't get that maintenance is forever.
JessLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:24 PM   #6  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

I am doing the Dukan Diet. It's pretty strict - there is a list of 100 foods you are allowed to have, and you can have unlimited quantities of those foods (for the most part). The foods are lean meats, no fat dairy, and vegetables, along with a couple tbs of oat bran (not oatmeal) every day. But if it's not on the list, you cannot have it, period.

For me, it's actually been very freeing to have that sort of strictness. No more guessing how many calories are in something at a party, no more figuring out how much of something I can squeeze into my day and not be too far over, no more being hungry and having to decide whether to eat something even if I'm over. It's like putting on blinders for everything that isn't on the list, and just ignoring it all but still being able to eat any time I am hungry.

I'm not saying I would want to eat this way forever, with no deviation. But I won't have to. The way this plan is designed, once I lose the weight, I'll be able to add more things back in a very gradual way. For right now, my focus is on losing the weight, and I'm willing to change my life this dramatically to make it happen. And it's working really well - I've never lost weight as quickly before (over 20 lbs so far, in 6 weeks) and it's never been so easy to stay on plan. I've eliminated all grains, starches, sugars, and processed foods, and I no longer have cravings for any of it.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:31 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 302/292/130

Height: 5'1"

I'm just calorie counting as well. I've found it incredible how much I can actually eat without going over my limit. Half the time I struggle to make it up to 1300 calories.

I'm doing some relaxed calorie shifting as well, but it's difficult so far...I'm trying to end up at about 16-1800 calories a couple times a week.

I've only been at this eating healthy thing for a few weeks, and my loss is not super-speedy ( 6.3 pounds so far), but I'm happy with that. Slow and steady wins the race, as they say.
devnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 04:14 PM   #8  
Just keep swimming...

S/C/G: 244/see ticker/150

I started my new way of life on May 5 and have lost 31 pounds as of today!

I am just calorie counting (1200-ish a day) and excersing.
I work out pretty much 6 days a week doing treadmill and/or Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred. Some days I only do one or the other, but most days I try to do both. I am currently only doing 1.5 miles on the treadmill in about 25 mins, but am trying to get more mileage and less time.

Oh, also with calorie counting, I'm also watching the carbs. I'm not eating low-carb, but I do try to avoid over processed white stuff as much as I can, but I do incorporate carbs into my calorie counts. And of course drinking water as much as I can (which is really hard for me to do, for some reason).

Hope that helps...congrats on your 50 pound loss!!!! That is a great accomplishment!!
mamato2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 04:35 PM   #9  
Happy Member

I use the exchange program, and have lost about 65 lbs. Now I am maintaining, being careful of the carbs, and enjoying life. I consider myself a success story in the weight-loss department.
JoJoJo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 04:36 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 381/327/175

Height: 5'10"

Sounds like most of us are taking a more laid back method - watching calories and doing some exercise - using common sense. "April Snow" you're on a more structured plan - I've never heard of the Dukan Diet before - I'd like to get info on the 100 foods.

Great that we're all doing well and happy with our eating habits!

By the way Larry -- I absolutely LOVE the Orsen Wells quote

Mary
noregrets4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 05:10 PM   #11  
~Kim~

I do basic calorie restriction but I also have discovered that carbs are a big deal for me if I want to lose weight. The more carbs I eat the more carbs I want and that can make it very hard to stay on plan with restricting calories.

For me the best thing seems to be a lower carb diet. I am currently eating around 50 net carbs a day, I get around 1400 calories a day, always over 100g of protein and around 60-70grams of fat. The majority of my carbs come from 3 servings each of fruits and veggies a day. This month I've also removed all refined sugar which is going awesome for me so far. There is no way on earth I'm giving up carbs for the rest of my life, but I'm definitely learning to make healthier foods the norm instead of the exception.

I also eat on an IF schedule. I'm extremely glad that I heard about IF (intermittent fasting) months ago. I eat my meals between 2pm-8pm and I'm so much happier eating this way then the 6 small meals I used to spread out over the whole day. It's really helps a lot because I hardly ever feel hungry.

I am currently exercising 6 days a week for 2 hours mon-fri and about an hour on Saturday. I usually only exercise an hour a day, but I'm trying to have a big month. My current plan is very similar to what I was doing in March when I had a lose of 14.4lbs, so I'm aiming for great results like that again.

Last edited by TooManyDimples; 07-04-2011 at 05:11 PM.
TooManyDimples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 05:59 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

I calorie counted for a long time and lost a good chunk of weight, and then switched to Medifast which is low carb and much easier for me to stay on at the moment.
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 06:14 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 221/146.8/142

Height: 5' 7 1/2''

I am on Weight Watchers Online, which works best for me. I have been on many diets thru the years, and find that weight watchers is the best fit for my personality. I have lost 62 pounds so far.
As far as exercise goes, I still certainly do not get enough, but I try to get in a walk 3 to 4 days a week.
trowter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:33 AM   #14  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Quote:
Originally Posted by noregrets4me View Post
Sounds like most of us are taking a more laid back method - watching calories and doing some exercise - using common sense. "April Snow" you're on a more structured plan - I've never heard of the Dukan Diet before - I'd like to get info on the 100 foods.
this is a list of foods http://ddr.myfreeforum.org/viewtopic.php?t=203

But I would recommend that anyone considering trying this plan buy the book. It goes into more detail and I have found it has been very helpful and motivating for me to read.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:40 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 242/242/192

Height: 5'6"

noregrets4me - congrats on the 50 lbs! You're obviously doing something right.

I just started this new journey June 1 and am keeping my calories to 1200 with lean meats, lean carbs (no white) and greens. I've lost 13 lbs and am starting to see a difference in my clothes. I'm just making better choices and going at this as eating healthier rather than a "diet."

I'm more active, but haven't started working out again. I wanted to get a hold on my eating first and will start back to the gym in 2 weeks time.

I always like to hear what others are doing as well.

~DD
Donna Donut is offline   Reply With Quote