Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-26-2011, 03:03 PM   #1  

Default Strict diet! Low cal food ideas?

Hi everyone!
I'm about to start a 5 week super strict diet!
My boyfriend is visiting on 7/29 and I want to WOW him!
We've been in a long distance relationship for about a year now (we've been dating for 4 years, but just last year he moved to California to be with his father and I'm here in NY). The last time he saw me was in January and I was at probably my highest weight, about 235/240 lbs.
For now, I told him no skype/video chats!

So in order to wow the socks off of him I'm going to go on a strict diet and try my hardest the next 5 weeks. My weight loss journey so far has been pretty rewarding. I lost about 20-25 lbs in a little over a month, but I still have quite a while to go (about 70 more pounds)

In any case, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of low-cal foods I could try in the next 5 weeks.

Good luck to everyone else on their journeys!
chemistrygirl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 03:23 PM   #2  
I think I can...

I like the Shirataki noodles about 40 calories for the entire pack. Super filling too. You can combine them with lots of veggies and maybe homemade tomato sauce.
It's just really important to rinse them in super hot water and then make sure they are dried or they have a funky taste/consistency.
Check out hungry girl she has tons of recipes using the noodles but I've never tried any of hers.
mzKiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 03:30 PM   #3  

I just looked those noodles up, I will definitely get some soon.
And I've heard of her but also have never checked her out but I will now!
Thanks! ^___^
chemistrygirl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 04:10 PM   #4  
I think I can...

You're welcome. The first time I had them I didn't like them at all! But I didn't rinse them properly. Make sure that you put them in a strainer and rinse them under HOT water for at least a few mins (They are packed in some kind of fish scented water). After the rinsing I spray a pan with pam and saute them until they are very dry. It's definitely not pasta, but comes close when you don't want the calories.
I also sometimes have a weight watchers or lean cuisine meal for lunch (not good if you're concerned about sodium) and I make a bunch of vegetables (usually broccoli) and mix it in with the meal when it's all done it mixes with the extra sauce and makes the meal go a lot further with minimal extra calories. (Also a tip from hungry girl!)
Good luck!
mzKiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 04:16 PM   #5  
Just keep swimming!

S/C/G: 260/ticker/150

Height: 5'6''

I agree. Shirataki noodles are great, but definitely rinse them for a while.

For a snack, I like Sensible Portions Cinnamon Apple Straws. You can have 38 straws for 130 calories. They are so good, especially if you need something sweet. If you want something really low in calories, try GG Bran Crispbread. One cracker has 12 calories. If you spread some calorie-free Walden Farms spread on it, and drink a full glass of water, you'll fill up real quick!

Good luck!

Last edited by melni; 06-26-2011 at 05:45 PM.
melni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 04:18 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 295/tkr/195

Height: 5'9"

Lots and lots and lots of extra veggies! Filling without lots of calories. I use a lot of frozen veggies and just microwave them. My new fav right now is spaghetti sauce over that packaged broccoli slaw. Steam or micro the slaw and then top with sauce. I often add extra mushroom or pepper, etc.
A good standby is veggie/chicken stirfry. I sometimes use ground turkey instead because I find it easier to work with.
AND I love lentils. Lentils are super filling and seem sorta starchy, but they are really a legume. Super good for you and pretty low cal.
I don't follow a low-carb diet, but I do eat less carbs than I used to simply because I don't feel like they're worth the calorie investment! I go for the biggest bang for the buck that keeps me filling full! I still eat carbs, but they have to be reeealllly tasty for me to "waste" my cals on!
Also drink LOTS of water!

Good luck!
Jen516 is offline   Reply With Quote