Not sure where...

• I'm not sure where to post this...

I have knee concerns. They don't hurt, or aren't weak yet.
    But I noticed earlier when I walk I can feel this "awkward" feeling in my knee... so I sat down and placed my hand on my knee cap and felt as i raised a lowered my leg to different angles.
    It makes a cranky squeaking noise with every bend and it sounds kind of "Crunchy" but again... no pain or discomfort!!

What do i Do?
    What is GOING ON WITH ME?!?!?!?!
  • IDk what but I do know that osteo biflex suppliment can help regenerate cartilige, and fish oil can help lubricate joints.

I'm 41 and I fear the day I forget to take my suppliments because I feel the difference when I don't.
  • It is called crepitus (sp?). You can google it. It kind of sounds like a crunchy paper bad when you extend your knee. It is estimated that 45% of people over 30 have this to some degree. It can be a precursor to arthritis, but I've had it since high school and I don't have arthritis. If the noise bugs you, an orthopedic doctor can perform surgery and scrape all the loose cartilage out. I have lived with mine with no issues at all. The noise is just creepy.
  • Quote: IDk what but I do know that osteo biflex suppliment can help regenerate cartilige, and fish oil can help lubricate joints.

I'm 41 and I fear the day I forget to take my suppliments because I feel the difference when I don't.
    I've started taking Cosamin ASU which is similar to the Osteo Biflex and I also notice a huge difference - in my knees, and also in my neck/shoulder where I have had pain for years and this stuff has helped it finally go away.
  • milmin it could be a lot of things right? I have always had knee problems have had crunching noises, discomfort in my kneecap due to different things. I'd hesitate saying it's one specific diagnosis over the other because there are multiple causes of the symptoms described.

mhill I would cut back a bit on high-impact activity (running, jumping) and work a bit on strengthening the muscles in your leg to help relieve the joint of the work it's doing. Ice your knee a few times a day for 20 minutes at a time. If you think it's inflammed, perhaps an anti-inflammatory. If it doesn't get better in a week with some of these very simple, common home treatments, perhaps you should see a doctor?
  • Quote: It is called crepitus (sp?). You can google it. It kind of sounds like a crunchy paper bad when you extend your knee. It is estimated that 45% of people over 30 have this to some degree. It can be a precursor to arthritis, but I've had it since high school and I don't have arthritis. If the noise bugs you, an orthopedic doctor can perform surgery and scrape all the loose cartilage out. I have lived with mine with no issues at all. The noise is just creepy.
    The noise really doesn't bother me as much as it just creeps me out! lol I'm paranoid and I don't want it to be something bad.

Quote: mhill I would cut back a bit on high-impact activity (running, jumping) and work a bit on strengthening the muscles in your leg to help relieve the joint of the work it's doing. Ice your knee a few times a day for 20 minutes at a time. If you think it's inflammed, perhaps an anti-inflammatory. If it doesn't get better in a week with some of these very simple, common home treatments, perhaps you should see a doctor?
    I need to see a doctor I just have a fear of doctors, silly as it is!
  • Could be a weak iliotibial band as well. You can google strengthening exercises for that and see if it helps. I had the same "crunchy" sound, but mine had pain along with it when I flexed my leg.
  • My ankles just started doing this about a year ago. At first I thought the people who put in our carpet left something under it, but then I noticed the sound when in the kitchen too... No pain or discomfort, just creepy.
    I'm going to the doctor tomorrow, I'll ask her about it.
  • mhillI don't think you necessarily need to see a doctor now. Seriously, quad strengthening + RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation) can help correct a lot of minor injuries. Try it out for a week or so before you take it to a doctor, unless you're seriously concerned.
  • Doc said crunchy sound was just another part of my arthritis and to be thankful it wasn't giving me any pain yet.
    Now for my thumb... at least she said I can still knit.
  • I've had the same problem for a few years. It started out being just my right knee and I'd only hear the crunch when I was going up stairs. Lately I've noticed that it happens when I take larger steps, and my left knee has started to do it too. No pain thankfully!
  • Ive had similiar, feels like a creaking noise, also my knees crack, if I keep them bent and straighten them after a few minutes they crack. But they dont give any trouble, and I play sport, soccer etc. If its not causing any pain or discomfort I would say just monitor it and see does it change (get worse, better, or stay the same). I have found as I lose weight my knees improved (kneeling on hard surfaces etc was sore).
  • Quote: mhillI don't think you necessarily need to see a doctor now. Seriously, quad strengthening + RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation) can help correct a lot of minor injuries. Try it out for a week or so before you take it to a doctor, unless you're seriously concerned.
    Thanks! I am looking up stuff now to work on recoverig it

Quote: Doc said crunchy sound was just another part of my arthritis and to be thankful it wasn't giving me any pain yet.
    Now for my thumb... at least she said I can still knit.
    Thank you for the update!!!