Calorie counting vs WW

• Hey guys.

I lost nearly 60 lbs about 3 years ago, mainly through calorie counting. Though, I wasn't smart about it, I lost it mainly by eating only lean cuisines and processed foods that I could easily track. I didn't teach myself how to sustain my weight loss eating healthy foods. Then when I stopped doing it and met my current boyfriend, I didn't really know how to "eat like a real person" and fell off the wagon and gained about 40 lbs back. No one wants to live off lean cuisines forever, you know?

Any way, so I've been attempting to lose the weight this time around since January, though this time I tried Weight Watchers and the new points plus plan. I really enjoyed it and so far, I've lost 27 lbs. I follow the plan like a hawk and I'm very aware of my points usage. However, my weight loss has slowed quite significantly for the past month and a half.

Just out of curiosity yesterday, I signed up for a website, MyFitnessPal, and started logging my calories in addition to my WW points. I logged both for today as well. I realized that my WW points were running out and over my daily target while the calorie counter site was saying I should still eat a lot more? Now I'm confused. According to MyFitnessPal, I've only eaten about 1,200 calories both days and that I should probably eat another 300 calories per day. I'm concerned that because I've been so strict and anal with WW, that maybe I haven't been eating enough because I always try to stop right at 29 daily points(my twisted mind feels *guilty* when I go over! though I know that's what weekly points are for).

So now I'm trying to think of ways to add in some calories during the day in a healthy way. I'm honestly quite satiated right now and the thought of eating 300 more calories tonight is daunting. I'm worried that I haven't been eating enough for the past 4 months(though I was never really hungry or deprived) and now maybe I've stalled out since I've stopped losing weight. Should I continue to track both? And which should take priority? Advice?
  • The best way to add calories is to add a little healthy oil to what you are already eating, such as olive oil, avocado, nuts, etc. You don't have to eat more bulk to add more calories. My guess is that you are afraid of fat and avoid it like the plague. Don't. Fat is not the enemy - add some to your food. Another way to add fat is, if you are using low-fat food products, use the real version instead.

(Though I admit, as a big eater with a big appetite, my mind always boggles at people who are sated at 1200 calories and come in asking how to add calories. It would be such a nice problem to have!)

I'm sure other people will disagree, but if I were you I would pick one plan and stick with it. Weight Watchers seems to be working for you (weight loss does slow, especially as you get close to a healthy weight - tinkering with your plan isn't going to fix that), so why mess with it? Just stick with it. And don't be afraid to dip into your weekly points - they are part of the plan, they are there for a reason. Talk with your WW leader about this, because I know it's a problem a lot of people on WW have.
  • Quote: So now I'm trying to think of ways to add in some calories during the day in a healthy way. I'm honestly quite satiated right now and the thought of eating 300 more calories tonight is daunting. I'm worried that I haven't been eating enough for the past 4 months(though I was never really hungry or deprived) and now maybe I've stalled out since I've stopped losing weight. Should I continue to track both? And which should take priority? Advice?
    *Has been a WW member for many years*

First of all, I'm very happy to hear about your progress! It's truly amazing

Getting in your 29 points is a definite "must", so it's good that you've been doing that. Gonna ask a couple questions... Are you getting in the Good Health Guidelines? Fruit/Veg? Oil? Water? Using Power Foods when you can?

Some of those Good Health Guidelines will help boost your points (especially the oil).

The Weekly Points... use them. They're your points. You can use them as you see fit. If you only get in a couple a day, fine. If you use them all, fine, too. You're going to have to experiment (as with any plan) to see how many you can use comfortably.

If you feel too stuffed to eat much more, but want to get in a few extra calories, don't forget that there are types of foods that are calorie dense. Nuts, dried fruit, oil, full fat dairy products, avocado, peanut butter and nut butters, whole grain bread. Healthy ways of eating a few more points, but without adding too much "weight" to the food.

As for tracking both: Go ahead if you'd like =) There's nothing in the rule book that says you shouldn't. And it's your plan, so you customize it how it best fits your life.

Weight Watchers has done extensive research on their plan. I trust it. It's like calorie counting to me. I know that some days my Points might calculate into slightly more calories, some days less, but it will even out and they certainly wouldn't have so many people join and lose on the program if it didn't work the way they laid it out.

That being said it's like any plan. We have to tweak it a bit to fit our lives.

So which should take priority? That's up to you. Either by mentally getting to your daily points total and then eating a few more calories, or moving past that guilt and eating a few weekly points. Don't let guilt accompany eating. It's just food.

And best of luck I hope you quickly find what works for you!