Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-03-2011, 12:59 PM   #1  

S/C/G: HW193/See Ticker/128

Height: 5'5"

Default Completely lost now...

How do you know when you've lost enough weight and when it is time to seriously focus on mostly strength training??? I know I should have been incorporating this all along, but Jillian got me again with a back injury and I think I have either a heel spur or bursitis in my left foot from the elliptical/treadmill.

I didn't over-do it, I stretched like I was supposed to. I have a few different autoimmune things going on so I guess there is something going on where my muscle/tissue is easily injured.

I am currently 134 and my original goal was 128 which was changed to 133, so I only have one lb to go until goal. My husband says do not lose anymore weight, my daughters have opinions that I need to lose a little more, one says 5 (which would put me back at my original goal) and one says 15-20 (teen mag. cover model anyone???? too small for my build, IMO). I am in a size 4-6 but one of my daughters compared me to a picture of a woman at a size 10; nothing wrong with a size 10, but YIKES! I've worked so hard to get FROM a size 10 to where I am now.

Sooooo, the flabby parts I still have, will losing more weight take care of that or would strength training? Or both?
Niecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 01:29 PM   #2  
Love me.

S/C/G: 207/T/135

Height: 5'10"

Strength training will tone your body, but keep in mind that it may take months if not years for true results to show.

From Mr. Eliot, "Its never too late to be what you might have been."
AshleyLaurent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 01:39 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 161.4/145/130

Don't forget it takes a good year from when you hit goal for loose flab skin to tighten up (genetics play a huge part into how much u tighten up).

But doing strength training is critical to maintaining your new physic and shaping it.

Like the weight loss be patient with this process also.
Proatthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:22 PM   #4  

You NEVER focus mostly on strength training. You should be doing cardio 6 days a week and strength training 3.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:28 PM   #5  
Made of Starstuff

Incorporate strength training asap =)

It'll take time to see the full results (just like weight loss itself) only you know if you actually need to lose more weight.

Sometimes I don't think that people know what 5lbs or 10lbs or 50lbs even actually looks like on a person. So someone might think you need to lose 5 lbs when in reality it's just about building that muscle up since you've taken off a lot of fat. It's not necessarily about weight for you at this moment since you're near goal.

It's about building the body you want. ...which is going to take time and strength training...and potentially more weight down the road (only if you see fit.)
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 03:56 AM   #6  

S/C/G: HW193/See Ticker/128

Eeeeeek, I sure don't know how I will be able to hop back on the treadmill.....BUT, my elliptical also doubles as a stationary bike so will try to stick out the foot pain and see how it goes.

I honestly do not know at this point if more weight needs to come off. Only one way to find out, which is jump back into the exercise end of it and go from there.

I might even try yoga a few times a week on top of it all just to get the benefit of stretching the muscles better. I am SOOOOOO not flexible. The chiro I saw about the back injury was shocked at how little flexibility I had for my age. But as I said before, I think this comes with the array of autoimmune stuff.

Thanks for your replies!
Niecy is offline   Reply With Quote