3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   How to flush water weight out? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/234364-how-flush-water-weight-out.html)

Linsy 05-29-2011 10:01 PM

How to flush water weight out?

I'm low carb and lately I've been eating a lot of sodium...cheese, hot dogs, buffalo sauce, sausage etc. I usually try to avoid eating a ton of sodium but for some reason I've been having waaaaay more than usual. The scale has been stuck around 199 even though I've been well into the low 190s and I really doubt I've gained 5lbs in the past week or two.

I know the obvious answer is more water but is that the only way? Should I just eat clean (veggies, salads, chicken not drowned in buffalo sauce and as little processed food as possible) and drink a lot of water for a few days and that will flush the salt out?

geoblewis 05-29-2011 10:50 PM

Linsy, you already have the answer! I know it doesn't sound magical, and it involves patience, but it's the truth.

starfishkitty 05-29-2011 11:30 PM

Sounds like you already know the answer. :)

It usually takes about 2 or 3 days of being "good" for the sodium to truly be washed out, at least for me and my friends who have talked about this same thing.

dj mayhem 05-29-2011 11:35 PM

this is good info. thanks!

luckymommy 05-30-2011 12:43 AM

I've heard that bananas help because of potassium. People with Vertigo (Minier's disease sp?) are supposed to eat very little sodium but they're supposed to also eat foods that are high in sodium. I also heard asparagus is good for it too...just a thought.

Chubbykins 05-30-2011 02:51 AM

It might sound odd but drinking a lot of water combined with eating sour fruit helps losing water.

MizCandula 05-30-2011 11:48 AM

Literally just drinking enough water will help. Your body is holding onto the water thinking it's dehydrated. Drinking more water will let your body know it's okay to let that water go.

Ally Michelle 05-30-2011 11:54 AM

If you mix a teaspoon of cream of tartor with a half gallon of water it with help with the retention...or a cup of coffee (natuaral diuretic)

This is what I do because a while ago it was so bad I wouldn't pee when I woke up.

So my docotor suggested these things...as well as tons of water :)
And its really been helping!

shimmmer178 05-30-2011 12:47 PM

I just bought a great book called "The Flat Belly Diet", it's completely sustainable and not a "fad" diet. It helps with water retention and that "puffy" feeling after eating too much sodium or gas causing foods. Gives a ton of easy recipes and quick snacks that stick to a 1600 cal a day diet. Over all a great book in general that i've found rewarding for losing the water weight.

Linsy 05-30-2011 04:30 PM

Thank you guys. I actually had a glass of water last night after posting this and lost 3lbs overnight! I think I've been drinking too much Crystal Light and not enough plain water.

YoYoKimmy 05-31-2011 03:05 AM

Drinking regular old iced tea is a great diuretic too.

chickadee32 05-31-2011 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YoYoKimmy (Post 3871086)
Drinking regular old iced tea is a great diuretic too.

Thank you for that suggestion! I've been trying to flush some water weight out for a week, and my 80-100 oz of fluids (mostly water) each day isn't cutting it. I will definitely try iced tea tomorrow.

Riestrella 05-31-2011 05:09 AM

*is now drinking lots of water to flush any water weight out* Thanks for the advice ladies, it all makes sense really it's just hard to put it into practice sometimes!

Emme 05-31-2011 09:20 AM

Thanks for posting this, Linsy! I did major yard overhauls on Friday and Saturday and barely drank any water (drinking a lot of pop to stay energized = the wrong thing to do), so I woke up with a 2.2 pound gain on Saturday and Sunday. I've been pounding water since then and it's slowly starting to go down!