Why did I start this earlier?

• Did you ever ask yourself why you didn't start this journey earlier? I am trying to come up with a reason but I can't! I was on WW in 2002 and lost 44 lbs. Why did I stop and gain it almost all back? I DON'T KNOW!!
  • Ugg, I have a typo in the headline. Can I fix that somehow? It should read "Why didn't I start this earlier"
  • ugh i was just thinking that myself. why is it that now suddenly i have clarity and want to do this so badly? and why have i let it get to this point in the first place?
  • If you want to fix the typo, go back and edit the original post via 'Go Advanced'. The title will be at the top

As for why I didnt start this earlier? I wasn't ready. So long as I wasn't fully willing to commit to changing my habits and lifestyle, losing weight would have been a fruitless, frustrating exercise. I didn't begin trying until I was certain I'd do what it took to lose it and keep it off.
  • Denial

I have asked myself this many times. When I was younger I used to be overwhelmed with the idea of how long it would take to lose weight. I didn't piece it together that this is a forever thing. For some reason I didn't think that time goes by no matter what and I can chose to either life healthy or live unhealthy but that I will have to live with the consequences of my choice.
  • Quote: If you want to fix the typo, go back and edit the original post via 'Go Advanced'. The title will be at the top
    Duh!! I should have figured that one out.
    Thanks for explaining that one!! I fixed it!
  • I thin kit is timing too. I did start this for 5 years every Monday I started and by friday had given up... until all things balanced and I found the right support... and I started one Monday in February 2010 and I haven't quit yet!
  • Like someone else said earlier, denial. I really, really wish I had done this sooner. I just didn't think I COULD for some reason. Or that I needed too.
  • For me, I was waiting for an easier way...a magic pill, or something. I wanted success the lazy way.
  • Honestly, I wish I knew. I beat myself up almost daily that I wasted the last 10+ years of my life being overweight, unhappy and in denial. I lost the best part of my life. Clothes that I would love to wear now are no longer age appropriate. If I had not waited I wouldn't have this saggy inner thigh skin that got used to being stretched out for so long. I probably wouldn't have most of these stretch marks either. I would have more pictures of myself. I would have enjoyed my tropical vacations more.

BUT ---

I need to forgive myself and move forward without regrets. However I still want to hold onto a little bit of the self loathing only because it gives me the strength to keep going and stay on plan. Know what I mean? I will never, EVER again take my mental and physical health for granted again. I wasted away 10 years. I will NOT waste away 1 more day from here on out!
  • I definitely wondered the same thing at first. I realised that a lot of it had to do with my motivation. Yeah, sure, I wanted to be thin, but it wasn't my priority. When I got finally sick and tired enough of being uncomfortable in my body, I felt motivated to do something about it once and for all. I was frustrated that I had let myself get to the point I was at and how allowed myself to remain at.

Then I got to thinking about it, and actually used that as my motivation. It was almost a year ago. I told myself to go ahead and get on the ball then, so that 3 months, 6 months, a year later, I wouldn't be sitting around saying, "Woulda, shoulda, coulda," you know? I felt like the sooner I got moving, the sooner I could see progress.

I saw an initial drop on the scale (water weight) but that kept me encouraged. Stuck to my plan, and in a couple weeks I could really feel a difference, and like a month in, I could really see a difference. I just kept thinking about how I didn't want to look back with regret for not continuing, so I kept it up. It's cool to look back almost a year later and say, "I'm glad I started and continued!" I promise you I'm not saying to myself, "Man, if only I had started sooner!" I'm just glad that I did!
  • I was quite happy stuffing myself with anything that was labeled Cadbury UNTIL i got in the shower and was sweaty and knackered by the end of it. That was my moment of clarity where i just couldn't carry on like that.