3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Why did I start this earlier? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/233473-why-did-i-start-earlier.html)

josey 05-17-2011 01:21 PM

Why didn't I start this earlier?

Did you ever ask yourself why you didn't start this journey earlier? I am trying to come up with a reason but I can't! I was on WW in 2002 and lost 44 lbs. Why did I stop and gain it almost all back? I DON'T KNOW!!

josey 05-17-2011 01:22 PM

Ugg, I have a typo in the headline. Can I fix that somehow? It should read "Why didn't I start this earlier"

aggie2006 05-17-2011 03:29 PM

ugh i was just thinking that myself. why is it that now suddenly i have clarity and want to do this so badly? and why have i let it get to this point in the first place?

Arctic Mama 05-17-2011 03:36 PM

If you want to fix the typo, go back and edit the original post via 'Go Advanced'. The title will be at the top ;)

As for why I didnt start this earlier? I wasn't ready. So long as I wasn't fully willing to commit to changing my habits and lifestyle, losing weight would have been a fruitless, frustrating exercise. I didn't begin trying until I was certain I'd do what it took to lose it and keep it off.

butterflymama 05-17-2011 04:05 PM

Denial

I have asked myself this many times. When I was younger I used to be overwhelmed with the idea of how long it would take to lose weight. I didn't piece it together that this is a forever thing. For some reason I didn't think that time goes by no matter what and I can chose to either life healthy or live unhealthy but that I will have to live with the consequences of my choice.

josey 05-17-2011 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arctic Mama (Post 3854020)
If you want to fix the typo, go back and edit the original post via 'Go Advanced'. The title will be at the top ;)

Duh!! I should have figured that one out.
Thanks for explaining that one!! I fixed it!

stacygee 05-17-2011 05:27 PM

I thin kit is timing too. I did start this for 5 years every Monday I started and by friday had given up... until all things balanced and I found the right support... and I started one Monday in February 2010 and I haven't quit yet!

LadyWraith 05-17-2011 09:30 PM

Like someone else said earlier, denial. I really, really wish I had done this sooner. I just didn't think I COULD for some reason. Or that I needed too.

OhMyDogs 05-17-2011 10:00 PM

For me, I was waiting for an easier way...a magic pill, or something. I wanted success the lazy way.

ShanIAm 05-17-2011 10:04 PM

Honestly, I wish I knew. I beat myself up almost daily that I wasted the last 10+ years of my life being overweight, unhappy and in denial. I lost the best part of my life. Clothes that I would love to wear now are no longer age appropriate. If I had not waited I wouldn't have this saggy inner thigh skin that got used to being stretched out for so long. I probably wouldn't have most of these stretch marks either. I would have more pictures of myself. I would have enjoyed my tropical vacations more.

BUT ---

I need to forgive myself and move forward without regrets. However I still want to hold onto a little bit of the self loathing only because it gives me the strength to keep going and stay on plan. Know what I mean? I will never, EVER again take my mental and physical health for granted again. I wasted away 10 years. I will NOT waste away 1 more day from here on out! :)

fivestone 05-18-2011 02:58 AM

I definitely wondered the same thing at first. I realised that a lot of it had to do with my motivation. Yeah, sure, I wanted to be thin, but it wasn't my priority. When I got finally sick and tired enough of being uncomfortable in my body, I felt motivated to do something about it once and for all. I was frustrated that I had let myself get to the point I was at and how allowed myself to remain at.

Then I got to thinking about it, and actually used that as my motivation. It was almost a year ago. I told myself to go ahead and get on the ball then, so that 3 months, 6 months, a year later, I wouldn't be sitting around saying, "Woulda, shoulda, coulda," you know? I felt like the sooner I got moving, the sooner I could see progress.

I saw an initial drop on the scale (water weight) but that kept me encouraged. Stuck to my plan, and in a couple weeks I could really feel a difference, and like a month in, I could really see a difference. I just kept thinking about how I didn't want to look back with regret for not continuing, so I kept it up. It's cool to look back almost a year later and say, "I'm glad I started and continued!" I promise you I'm not saying to myself, "Man, if only I had started sooner!" ;) I'm just glad that I did! :)

Raspberry74 05-18-2011 03:26 AM

I was quite happy stuffing myself with anything that was labeled Cadbury UNTIL i got in the shower and was sweaty and knackered by the end of it. That was my moment of clarity where i just couldn't carry on like that.