Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-09-2011, 03:35 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 203/142/111

Height: 5'0

Default Is it all in my mind?

So my one year anniversary (from when I started losing weight) is coming up in a couple of weeks and I'm very happy with the progress I've made. However, there is one aspect of this weight loss journey which is beginning to concern me.

The past couple of days I've felt like I've gained weight some weight. I don't own a scale (I only weigh myself every couple of months at a friends house) so I have no way to prove that I've gained weight but I just feel heavier. My clothes on the other hand are telling me something else entirely. Out of the five pairs of pants I own, three of them are now too loose to wear without a belt and one of them I noticed today is approaching the must belt point. This suggests that I'm still losing or have lost recently. So why do I suddenly feel like I've gained weight? This happened about a month ago too at my most recent weigh in. I thought I gained 10lbs but I actually lost 2.

Is it possible that I'm losing weight in certain areas and fat is being redistributed into other areas which is giving me the impression that I've gained when in reality there's been an overall loss? Has my weight loss uncovered some deep seated underlying body issues? Has this happened to anyone else? I feel like I'm going crazy.
coastalvagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 03:52 PM   #2  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Maybe you're just feeling "bloated" (TOM, too much sodium, etc.)? I sometimes feel like I must have gained at least 5-10 pounds, only to find out the scale says maybe +1 or +2... but my stomach is just... ACK! - like a balloon! And it is usually right around TOM when I feel like this.

You started at 203 & currently at 138 lbs... you're kick'n A$$!!!! Congrats!!!
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 03:58 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 200 / 180? / 140

Height: 5'4"

Could it TOM? or ovulation? Did you have a lot of sodium yesterday? That can effect water retention.
Ferumbras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:39 PM   #4  
Playing to Lose

S/C/G: 194/ticker/129

Height: 5' 1"

I have emotional fat days too where I believe it's harder to push my butt off the couch --- or when my tummy feels like it is full of food. BUT, I notice it most when I am, umm, constipated. So I drink a couple cups of caffinated hot tea (or swallow something stronger!) and I feel better.
ShanIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 05:10 PM   #5  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hmm, you might want to be careful about letting your thoughts rule what you do... When people think they are fatter when actually they are thinner... well, you know what that sounds like.

I'd say, let the scale, however often you weigh, be your guide. Don't decide to cut what you eat based on some "feeling" of being fatter.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:02 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 190/167/140

Height: 5'2"

Are you keeping track of your measurements?

I hate scales and only weigh myself once every two-three-four or so weeks. BUT, as soon as I am close to my goal weight I plan to weigh more frequently. It might be time for you to consider buying a good scale.
MonicaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:30 AM   #7  
is chubby

Measure your inches It is better than a scale anyways.

Also drink lots of water every day. It helps with constipation, water retention etc which makes you feel/look bigger.
Chubbykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:39 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 203/142/111

Height: 5'0

It's not so much that I feel bloated. I will literally grab onto the fat on my arms/legs/belly and from day to day it will feel like there's more even when all the indicators are saying I'm losing. Back when I was at around the 150 range I used to marvel at how amazing my collarbone felt. Now I'll touch it and it barely notice a difference.

I think taking measurements is a good idea. Maybe my brain just needs more hard evidence in order for the weight loss to actually sink in.
coastalvagrant is offline   Reply With Quote