Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-16-2011, 01:13 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 250/250/150

Height: 5.5

Default Too embarrassed to join the gym :( But they offered a GREAT DEAL!

Hello there,
I am new to this site. I thought I could get off my fat, depressed, scared, lazy arse and just start working out in the neighborhood/ walking and doing yoga at home.....NOPE. I won't budge.

I had this gym down the street from me that I used to go to in 2008. I lost about 30 pounds in a couple of months there. It was WOMEN ONLY. It did not have a pool. Just machines, treads and weights. I would work out for almost 2 hours about 4 days a week. I went from 190 down to 160 or so. I just did REALLY steep hills walking and lots of reps.
I would go when no one was there, about 11 pm or later.
Needless to say, I fell in love.....had a major ab. surgery and gained 70 pounds until now.

I called an old gym (one with a great pool) that I haven't been to in over 5 years today. The rep was so cool....he said he'd even give me a corp. discount and everything. This is a pricey gym. It has 3 pools and a TON of sports/ classes etc all included! He told me to come in tomorrow and sign up.
I am scared though because it's CO-ED.
I DO NOT LIKE THAT! I also have a LOT of tattoos. They're pretty and tasteful (as far as tattoos go...even people who HATE tats like mine). But, I live in a VERY conservative city and people always EYE'blank' me because of them. I am NOT a trendy, a druggie, or roller-girl type (not that there is anything wrong with the rollers)...I just like art.

I AM 250 POUNDS! I can't even ride my horse!
I have a plan though I want to drop 100 pounds by next Feb. and teach horseback riding again, go for my yoga teacher training in costa rica and start martial arts again. Am I setting unrealistic goals here? I can't even walk in the gym.
I grew up athletic! I WANT that lifestyle back so much! Where is my courage?
Where is my positivity?
This is the HEAVIEST I have ever been. This weight hurts and it's NOT ME!
You know how I feel? I am SURE. Please.....I need some MAJOR cheerleading here
I AM going to try to go in there tomorrow....What do you think?
Thanks in advance.
Give it to me straight! Why am I SUCH A WUSS!?!
mochi74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 01:21 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 295/278/160

Height: 5'7

I am like you, sort of (in the conservative appearance I mean). I am married, have small children, have several tattoos, and am a big girl! AND I joined a gym!

Honestly, I was very shy to go at first, but I figured "to heck with it, I am going anyway cause I am paying for it". Now I don't even care. I am not there to impress people, I am there to better myself!! I am there to get healthy, and I am putting ME first, for once! I don't care if my chunky butt there offends anyone, I am not going to get smaller if I keep worrying about everyone else's sensibilities!

Be you! Tattoos and all, and get healthy for yourself. Screw anyone who has an issue with it!!

That's my pep-talk (and please note my start weight, and realize not only do I go to the gym, I wear leggings while I do it!!).

Love yourself!

Last edited by OhMyDogs; 04-16-2011 at 01:22 AM.
OhMyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 01:37 AM   #3  

Bless your Canuck heart my friend! I thank you so much! I REALLY needed to hear that! <3 I bet the leggings help sweat too! I have a 3/4 sleeve and the rest I can hide with yoga pants. I have 3 horse tattoos :P I think I will wear a Robe before the "hydrotone" pool class! I think the best thing I can do is get in the water! This weight is so hard on the joints!
I've always wanted to check Saskatoon out! Perhaps one day I'll get up that way!
Talk about (CONSERVATIVE) remind me to someday tell you about my hitchhiking adventure through Canada....especially the small towns in Quebec....Maudite marde! heeee!
Old 04-16-2011, 01:42 AM   #4  
Maintaining Mommy

S/C/G: 280/128/<135

Height: 5' 4.5"

GO GO GO!!! Please go, really! In a few weeks you will be so glad you did, and next February you will be even happier with your decision to go!

When I began going to my gym on Jan 31, I was pretty terrified. I'd had a not-so-positive experience with a trainer at another gym a few years ago, and after going once I never went back. I was SO nervous to try it again, and was so embarrassed about the way I looked and didn't want anyone to see my pathetic (in my mind) attempts at exercise. I was ~270 pounds at the time, and extremely out of shape.

I cannot even put into words how glad I am that I went, bought a membership, and have kept going. I really, really enjoy going to the gym now, and it is one of the best things I have ever done for myself. There are days when I don't feel like dragging myself there, but I am always SO glad I've gone. I read a quote in someone's signature shortly after I joined this site, and it's one I try to remind myself of on the days when it's tough to make the time or muster up the energy for the gym. It was something like "No one ever says 'I wish I didn't exercise today'." It's so true. Not only has my level of fitness improved dramatically over the past 2.5 months, but that mental break from the rest of my life that I get at the gym is an amazing re-charge.

Just GO. Start slow with whatever you can, and you'll work your way up to more in no time. You have already had a positive experience at a gym, and your hesitance and worry about what others will think of you in a co-ed gym will disappear more quickly than you think. I really don't take much note of how anyone else in the gym looks, with the exception of a couple cute men (but don't tell my husband I said that!!). Seriously though, I've never had a negative thought about how anyone else looks at the gym, I'm just continually impressed by those doing workouts I can't yet do myself.

GO. You will be so glad you did.
chickadee32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 01:52 AM   #5  

Thank you!!!!!!!!! I'm gonna do THIS! I am pumped! I've GOT TO!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-16-2011, 01:57 AM   #6  
Maintaining Mommy

S/C/G: 280/128/<135

Height: 5' 4.5"

Fantastic!! Please make sure to come back and tell us all about it tomorrow!
chickadee32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 10:22 AM   #7  
Incredible Shrinking Lisa

S/C/G: 279.2/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

I weigh more than you and I go six days a week. There are men and women of all shapes and sizes. No one gives a crap what anyone else looks like. They're all too busy doing their own thing..

Btw - I have seven tattoos, five of which are visible. I just rock 'em out!
LisaP916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 10:30 AM   #8  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

I am usually, but not always, the largest woman in my hot yoga class. The other day there was a very heavy man there, who could only do about half the class. After ward I was talking to him, he wasn't sure about coming back. (the mirrors are a b***h) But I gave him a pep talk about my experiences, and he was back a few days later. Just concentrate on you, not them!
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 10:34 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochi74 View Post
Bless your Canuck heart my friend! I thank you so much! I REALLY needed to hear that! <3 I bet the leggings help sweat too! I have a 3/4 sleeve and the rest I can hide with yoga pants. I have 3 horse tattoos :P I think I will wear a Robe before the "hydrotone" pool class! I think the best thing I can do is get in the water! This weight is so hard on the joints!
I've always wanted to check Saskatoon out! Perhaps one day I'll get up that way!
Talk about (CONSERVATIVE) remind me to someday tell you about my hitchhiking adventure through Canada....especially the small towns in Quebec....Maudite marde! heeee!
I have a small Kanji tattoo on my inner wrist that means "inner strength", the only way to hide it is with a watch! I also have a dragon fly on one calf, a lady bug on one ankle, an african grey parrot on one thigh, and my newest and favorite, a large fairy on my shoulder blade (I got her as a quitting smoking reward, and she represents my oldest daughter). Most of mine are "hidden" unless I want to show them off, with the exception of the one on my inner wrist. By the way, did you know there's a whole forum dedicated to "alterna-chicks"? For tattooed, pierced and just alternative lifestyled gals?

Saskatoon's quite pretty, I actually live a little north, and only venture down to the city sometimes. I would love to hear about your hitch hiking adventures sometime!!

Glad I could give a little moral support!

Also, remind me to tell you about "the battle of the fat girls" that happens at my gym sometimes! I am entertained (I am one of the 2 fat girls involved LOL).

Last edited by OhMyDogs; 04-16-2011 at 10:36 AM.
Old 04-16-2011, 02:43 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaP916 View Post
I weigh more than you and I go six days a week. There are men and women of all shapes and sizes. No one gives a crap what anyone else looks like. They're all too busy doing their own thing..

Btw - I have seven tattoos, five of which are visible. I just rock 'em out!
heheheee ROCK EM OUT! Indeed I will!

I know I am not that important to look at
Everyone has a staring problem in Oklahoma....it's just so rude. The gym is a LITTLE better! If you're walking down the road here and not in your pickup truck.....you usually get mocked and yelled at.
Weird huh?
I gotta move soon!
Old 04-16-2011, 02:47 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMyDogs View Post
I have a small Kanji tattoo on my inner wrist that means "inner strength", the only way to hide it is with a watch! I also have a dragon fly on one calf, a lady bug on one ankle, an african grey parrot on one thigh, and my newest and favorite, a large fairy on my shoulder blade (I got her as a quitting smoking reward, and she represents my oldest daughter). Most of mine are "hidden" unless I want to show them off, with the exception of the one on my inner wrist. By the way, did you know there's a whole forum dedicated to "alterna-chicks"? For tattooed, pierced and just alternative lifestyled gals?

Saskatoon's quite pretty, I actually live a little north, and only venture down to the city sometimes. I would love to hear about your hitch hiking adventures sometime!!

Glad I could give a little moral support!

Also, remind me to tell you about "the battle of the fat girls" that happens at my gym sometimes! I am entertained (I am one of the 2 fat girls involved LOL).
OK I gotta hear about the battle........hit me :P
Old 04-16-2011, 02:52 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmad View Post
I am usually, but not always, the largest woman in my hot yoga class. The other day there was a very heavy man there, who could only do about half the class. After ward I was talking to him, he wasn't sure about coming back. (the mirrors are a b***h) But I gave him a pep talk about my experiences, and he was back a few days later. Just concentrate on you, not them!
Yah mirrors SUUUUUUCK! hehehee, even when I was thin I thought so.
Hot yoga is awesome! I'm glad you talked that guy into going back! That was SUPER SWEET!

So many men won't do yoga.....I think it gets them really in touch with feelings that their bodies store and they can't handle it. That's what I have heard from several guys (inc. my boyfriend)
Old 04-16-2011, 02:59 PM   #13  
The 'x3' is a heart! :)

S/C/G: 250/low 200's/165

Height: 5'6

Yes, GO GO GO to the gym! I promise you will be amazed at how good you feel even after the first time (mind you, the first time is always the hardest, especially if you haven't gone in awhile!). After the first couple times you will feel a lot better physically, sleep more soundly, and start on the journey to better your mental image of yourself as well.
As far as people staring... I have never had that problem so far. I live in Baltimore MD and to be honest most people that come to my gym have some weight of their own to lose and do not judge people at all. As chickadee said, I am always impressed by the people who are doing harder workouts than me but other than that I stay focused and ignore the world around me! Make sure you bring an ipod or some kind of mp3 player... tune out the world around you and focus on why YOU are there, screw everyone else! :P

Good luck to you and please let everyone know what happened!
mirax3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 03:02 PM   #14  

OK, I am procrastinating.....I think I'm about to start....crampy. I don't want to go do this....but I think I will miss the deal if I don't. I am goin to take my boyfriend and make him go or I KNOW I won't make it.
I feel so nervous and silly
Old 04-16-2011, 03:11 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochi74 View Post
OK I gotta hear about the battle........hit me :P
LMAO ok, so a few times when I have been to the gym (I just kinda go whenever I can, because the city where the gym is is about 40 minutes away), there has been another girl there, maybe a wee bit bigger than I am.

So I will say, get on the elliptical, and get to work. I have gotten over worrying about anyone else, I just plug in my MP3 player, and off I go. So she'll get on the elliptical beside me, and go too. Fine right? No biggie...good on her. Until, suddenly the last time we were both there together, I realized that she's trying to outdo me. She'll stay on the elliptical longer than me, or she'll run on the treadmill when she's watched me walk on it...and honestly I just chuckle to myself. I figure "hey, whatever it takes to keep her motivated". I pit myself against me, and my time/endurance/speed the last time I was there. "Beating" someone else doesn't give me a sense of pride, but beating myself does. It's just funny, and I'm sure people are quietly chuckling to themselves as they watch "the fat girls battle" (even though I'm not battling).