3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Movie panic! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/230290-movie-panic.html)

corazonas 04-10-2011 06:32 PM

Movie panic!

Ok I'll lay this out quick...

I'm going to the movies in an hour. I need help with what to eat/ not eat. So my cals daily are 1350 and I am at 1170... What I have eaten so far today is:

Starbucks oatmeal (plain) 140
coffee 75

Chili's chicken fajita skillet (no condiments, no tortillas, only grilled food and lettuse/pico/salsa) 300
Chili's fire roasted corn guacamole and some chips (I didn't eat even close to half but I'm still guessing) 500

1 hard boiled egg + 1 white 85
banana 70

So my problem... I have about 200 cals to play with. It's 5:30 so I technically haven't had dinner but lunch was late and I just had the snack so theoretically once I get home I could be done eating for the day so I have a couple options.

1. Go to the movies and eat a small popcorn for 400 cals. It's the only thing I LOVE to eat at the movies and there is no way I will only eat part of my popcorn. It will put me 200 cals over.

2. Don't eat the popcorn, probably suffer a little thinking about it/smelling it and find something else to eat once I get home but try to keep it at 200 cals for dinner.

or 3. Avoid the dilemma and stick my head in the sand and stay home lol.

What should I dooo?

sacha 04-10-2011 06:35 PM

Can you get a small popcorn and give half to who you are going with? Then maybe a diet pop to go too? If you really want to be on the ball, you can maybe throw half of it in the garbage on your way in!

What about bringing something else in your purse?

Personally, I would just not buy it, but it's your call :)

nationalparker 04-10-2011 06:36 PM

I started skipping the popcorn/diet soda at the movies so I didn't always associate going out to a movie with that ... it works most of the time. If you find yourself thinking about it more than the movie, get up and go get it, but if you get entranced with the flick, and forget the food, even better!

Good luck and have fun!

Shmead 04-10-2011 06:41 PM

I really think ideas like "You have to have snacks to watch a movie" are part of why obesity rates are climbing. You go a couple hours without eating all the time: you wouldn't expect to eat if it were a play, or a symphony, or a museum, or even the mall.

It only takes about three times for something to go from "weird" to "normal". I recommend going to the movie and not eating.

berryblondeboys 04-10-2011 07:31 PM

Ibhave to agree with shmead. Even the idea of spending that kind of money on crap baffles my mind. Eat a snack/light dinner before going if you're hungry. Otherwise eat when you grt home something small and get out of the habit of throwing money away at the theater.

GlamourGirl827 04-10-2011 08:07 PM

Agreeing with everyone else. I'd just have something light, but filling for dinner. (protein!! :) ) and skip that movie food. There's really nothing healthy served at the movies. Its like choosing from bad and worse. Try chewing gum, or bringing a water.
I don't know if its me, but I'm starting to find certain foods are not worth the calorie splurge. Save your slip up for delicious foods that are worth every extra minute running on the treadmill!

seagirl 04-10-2011 08:24 PM

Eat an apple with some nut butter and a piece of cheese.

And see a movie that will absorb you and not have you thinking about food the whole time.

The only time you should be planning what to eat during a 2 hour activity is if you are biking, hiking or running. Not sitting motionless for 2 hours.

ncuneo 04-10-2011 08:25 PM

I'm on the fence on this one. I'm with shmead I totally agree and gave up eating popcorn at the movies long ago. On the other hand, it's the obsessing over the small stuff that can make "dieting" or a "lifestyle" change so freakin' miserable, at least I'm finding that to be true in maintenance. Stressing out over an extra 200 cals one time is not going to make or break you.

I mean trust me I get what we're trying to do here, and don't mis-interpret what I'm saying, the lifestyle change needs to happen. But and occassional overage is not going to send the universe into an tailspin. The idea is occassional, moderation, whatever you want to call it. What is sky rocketing the obesity epidemic is a 5 gallon bucket with a liter of soda EVERY time someone goes to the movies, not an occassional small popcorn. You have to trust yourself to know that you can practice moderation.

But ask yourself is it worth it? Is this going to give the most pleasure of the longest period of time? For example. You could a. get the popcorn enjoy it for the all of maybe 10 mins you'll spend eating in and maybe or maybe not feel guilty about it later. And maybe or maybe not see a stall or creep up on the scale because of the ridiculous amount of salt. OR b. take a small pack of 100 cal almonds, salted if you need that, and enjoy the saitity that the protien will give you and then still have pleasure because you're proud of yourself for days on end. AND probably see a decrease in the scale.

Anyway, my point is if you're going to go "off plan" make sure it's worth it and practice moderation with it. If you're going to do make sure you enjoy every freakin bite and then for the next few days, weeks, whatever be very diligent. Hope you had fun!

Shmead 04-10-2011 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ncuneo (Post 3801100)
I'm on the fence on this one. I'm with shmead I totally agree and gave up eating popcorn at the movies long ago. On the other hand, it's the obsessing over the small stuff that can make "dieting" or a "lifestyle" change so freakin' miserable, at least I'm finding that to be true in maintenance. Stressing out over an extra 200 cals one time is not going to make or break you.

I totally agree that stressing over every little thing is no way to sustain a lifestyle: my point is more that it's a good idea to learn how to do things without eating: it's amazing how many things we think must involve eating: hanging out with friends, movies, family celebrations, watching TV. . . the list is endless. ****, it took me months to realize I didn't HAVE to eat something as soon as I walked in the door from work: the "after school snack" was so ingrained in my habits that it never occurred to me that I was allowed to skip it. Learning that food is an option at all these things but never a requirement was a really important step for me: in previous attempts, successful dieting meant giving up all the things where you "have to" eat, and that was not a sustainable lifestyle.

ncuneo 04-10-2011 09:59 PM

Quote:

my point is more that it's a good idea to learn how to do things without eating: it's amazing how many things we think must involve eating: hanging out with friends, movies, family celebrations, watching TV. . . the list is endless.
Absolutely agree!

luciddepths 04-10-2011 10:36 PM

I eat before i go, i hate the food at movie places...

corazonas 04-10-2011 11:08 PM

Thanks everybody!

I'm back, and I decided against the popcorn. I love it but decided to do without it. I'm happy I made a good choice- too bad the movie sucked.

krampus 04-10-2011 11:21 PM

And aren't you glad you didn't make a crappy movie worse with popcorn guilt? ;)

aimeebell 04-10-2011 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corazonas (Post 3801329)
Thanks everybody!

I'm back, and I decided against the popcorn. I love it but decided to do without it. I'm happy I made a good choice- too bad the movie sucked.

You are a stronger woman than I am! LOL A small movie popcorn is one item that I probably would find the extra 200 point splurge worth. I only go to the movies twice a year, and popcorn is part of the experience. Actually, movie popcorn is the main reason I go to the movie at all LOL
I probably would be with you though on not choosing the popcorn since this looks to be the very beginning of your journey. It was really important to me to stay perfectly on plan the first few weeks for fear of falling off the wagon entirely.

LisaP916 04-11-2011 07:02 AM

I'm actually not a huge fan of movie popcorn. And nothing ruins a movie more than spending two hours trying to get popcorn out of your teeth! I inevitably end up with that hard piece wedged between two teeth in the beck and have to try to hack it out with my straw! LOL!