Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2002, 07:41 PM   #31  

Have my 48 in and am ready for my third cuppa. It is curbing my appetite fairly well.

Thanks for the explanation of possibility for infection, Kaylets. It seems to be clearing up. I do inspect his foot many times a day. Because he has an artificial heart valve, infection anywhere is life threatening.

I have posted more the last several weeks than I expected. Lurking/posting are my "outlet" right now because everything else is focussed on dh's health. And this is such a great thread, it really is my bright spot. I've been pleased that I've been holding fairly well to my goals (though of course not completely). I think it's the original changing of lifestyle that's holding me on course.

Sister chose very lovely gifts (clothing) for dh to give me. Unfortunately, she seems not to have noticed I've lost 30 pounds and they are all my "old" size. Actually, I have told her I've lost some weight but don't know if I mentioned how much. She has the receipts though so all is not lost - just the stores may no longer have good selection, i.e., size I need.

Time for my tea.
Old 12-27-2002, 07:57 PM   #32  

Smile Friday early evening

Is it just me or is anyone else having to log in at least once a day?
The other thing I'm noticing is that when you click on the notice in your email that someone's posted, it takes you back to the first page of the thread. It's happened to me on more than one thread.

So ironic-- I had to bring smaller bottles of water to work today and thought I had finished them all to find 3 20 oz under the desk waiting for me next to my pocketbook. -- Was doing pretty well getting the water in until the challenge began!

Anagram, maybe now that you have an excuse, you can go to the store w/ sister or a friend for an hour or so and just get out for a minute. Nice Non Scale Victory reminder that the those pounds are really gone! And you may be suprised, the news makes it sound like the stores might have things, and maybe some bargains too!

Scoobysnacks, no wonder you don't feel yourself! I tried to look up spacious psist thru Google and came up empty-

I'm dragging some myself- think I'll put on some comfortable clothes and call it a night.
Old 12-27-2002, 09:03 PM   #33  

Default hello all

hello everybody, its been awhile since i posted. man have i been busy. the christmas tree is down, the decorations are put away, the mad house shopping is over, now i have one more dinner at my brothers tomorrow and i'll be ready for newyears.

havent had much time to write, but i miss all of ya. i kinda forgot about the water challenge?? sorry all. my mind is in the gutter, plus i still have a cold thats lasted about 16 days. its crazy!!

well i'll be the first to say that drinking water is my downfall. i hate it really. but i do try to drink more. we have a few days left till new years so i will try to consume enough water to cleanse the body for a fresh start. haha how about 1 leter?? thats all i can handle right now. i also drink diet lemonade, and diet soda.anyway hope everyone had a good christmas!! i did.

well looking forward to the valentine thread thats when i get busy.. later and lighter senamay
Old 12-27-2002, 09:45 PM   #34  

No, Kaylets. You're not alone. I'm back again and this is the LAST time tonight. I'm shutting the computer down this time.

Sister is sending receipts. The one sweater she bought for me is a "sissie" sweater - that is, she has one just like it. I do hope to get to look in some stores soon. I did do some shopping for Christmas while dh was in dialysis but today that time went for groceries, drug store, etc. I'm sure I'm personally responsible for all the "down" retail sales.

DD and my princesses are coming tomorrow. Then son and wife return Sunday, leave Monday I assume. Then I hope things will settle down a bit. One nephew and family also stopping by tomorrow, another wanted to come Sunday but it's dialysis day. Dh really isn't up to visitors yet but some of these guys will be going back to far away places and I really think it's great they want to come see their uncle on their limited time in the area. I'll just have to keep the visits short.

Spent about half an hour a bit ago dragging out smaller clothes again. Making it into more but still need a few pounds for them to be wearable. I'd particularly like to wear a purple suit for Easter. I got the skirt on but it's still a pound or ten away from wearable. Oh well, there's a blue one that would be good too and that one fits now. Tried several summer things that fit well and several that didn't. Same ten pounds would go a long way there and I should be able to do that by spring (so she says in December).

Anyway it inspired me a bit again. Was doing this to get an idea of what size I might need to look for now (I hate trying clothes on) but it also boosted my desire to keep with the program.

I am really off now for the night. Will look forward to your quote in the morning, Kaylets.
Old 12-27-2002, 10:55 PM   #35  
Empress/Queen

Default Yo!!!

Amarantha be ending eating day at 1500 calories and drinking water. Ought to be stress bingeing as I drove 70 miles to interview some police officers, who stood me up. It had been set up by their chief and they didn't want to do it apparently. So I ought to be bingeing but because of the focus I'm getting from this challenge, I'm not!!!

Punkin: It be Friday, o' o' that day!!! I HEART-ily endorse and vote for 1/6 as the start of the Valentine's challenge and thank everyone for indulging my whim to do this blitzy one until 1/5!!! I like the roster only because I think a challenge should be like a sporting event, with everyone's name up on the blackboard! It seems a roster helps focus us on our goals and the weight management task we've set ourselves. I don't think it matters about taking up space on the thread, 'cause everything we post takes up space! But either way is ok with me. I always put my goals in the sig line anyway.

Kaylets: I haven't noticed anything amiss about the logging in here. I'm always logged in, unless I delete cookies, which I do now and then. I don't get the emails that someone has posted, so maybe that's where the trouble layeth?

Funny about how you forgot to drink the smaller bottles. I do find the size of the bottle to be important. It seems everyone has their favorite. This widemouth 32-ouncer is just right for me!

Anagram: Sounds as though thou be in a positive mode concerning clothing sizes. Hagometer hath gazed into the crystal ball and seen thee in thy purple suit come Eastertime!!! You can do it!

Senamay and Frogger: Howdy!!! Amarantha will update the roster with thy goals in a separate post!
Old 12-27-2002, 11:05 PM   #36  
Empress/Queen

GOAL ROSTER: NEW YEAR'S LIQUIFICATION PROJECT

Amarantha's Goals — 32 ounces H20 daily; weight to 160

Anagram's Goal — 48 ounces water daily; maintain weight until start of Valentine's challenge

Arabella's Goals — 3L water and exercise daily

Ceara's Goals — 2L water daily; Halloween weight; 4 gym visits by Jan. 1

Eydie's Goals — 10 glass water H20 daily; workout daily

Frogger's Goals — 32 ounces water daily; maintain weight until Valentine's challenge

Kaylets' Goal — 96 ounces of water daily

Punkinseed's Goal — Three 32-ounce bottles o' water daily

Scoobysnacks' Goal — 3L water daily

Senamay's Goal — One liter water daily

Wildfire's Goals — 48 ounces water daily; maintain weight

Old 12-28-2002, 08:36 AM   #37  

Default Simply Saturday!

Hello all!

Ran to the grocery stores early - before I ate and then came back and started eating raisins. After the 2nd handful, I looked at the calorie count and was suprised that 1/4 cup was 141 calories--
OUCH----

Had to shove the rest deep into the trash! Some other thread pointed out " costs the same if I eat it or toss it". So freeing- a true No Guilt proverb if you will. Could even suggest that it would cost me more if I did eat the remaining raisins... or what have you... (not in the money sense but at what cost to my plan?)

When I was in the grocery this morning, a song from the 70's was playing -- "If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with" -- If you're not familiar w/ the song, that's ok-
just the one phrase I've listed here is enough-- Only this morning, I wondered if I finally "got" what the song means... All of this time, I thought it was a " Free love, marriage w/o rules " anthem. I wonder, if what they were really saying is-- No matter how things are now, don't "wait ", don't " put you life on hold" --

Interesting what happens in the grocery store--

Off to see the hairdresser--

Today's thought is:

"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us" --- Joseph Campbell
Old 12-28-2002, 08:51 AM   #38  
Hot Stuff

'Morning, girls.

Well, I did get in my 48oz of water yesterday.....it was pretty easy with all the food I ate. Geez, yesterday was just a graze-fest! The turkey leftovers are gone now, aside from the soup I'm making which isn't a danger. Turkey vegetable soup with 0 point veggies....I think I'm going to forego potatoes or noodles so I can enjoy it guilt-free.

Actually the grazing yesterday has had a positive effect. I don't want food at ALL this morning, although I am going to have a small bowl of high-fiber cereal, to start things off properly. I want to eat light, drink water, and exercise today! I'm not waiting for New Year's to re-start my plan. I've had enough of the holidays and all the food associated with them.

Amarantha, I certainly hope you called the police chief to tell him what his officers did! How rude!

Anagram, congrats on getting into some of those smaller clothes! You'll get into that purple suit by Easter, no problem!

Hi Senamay! I want to take our tree down, too, but hubby said it was too early. It'll be down on New Year's day, I guarantee!

Kaylets, I haven't had to log in, but I have the Support board bookmarked. Check your browser settings....have cookies been disabled? (Wouldn't it be lovely if real cookies could be disabled, too? )

Scooby, what is a spacious psist? It doesn't sound fun, whatever it is!

Punkin, I heard a news clip about the storm on the west coast....hope you haven't blown away!

I think I may venture out into the world today. I've been home since Christmas eve. It's taken me this long to decompress from my *wonderful* job that I hate so much. I haven't wanted to do anything or go anywhere. Nope, quite content within my own apartment. I have to pick up some veggies for soup, so I'll at least head to the grocery store.

You girls have a great day!
Old 12-28-2002, 10:54 AM   #39  

If I had put a tree up, I think this year I'd leave it up till "little Christmas" (1/6). I've decided to let up what I did put up and the little tree from DH until then. I'm always complaining I have to "rush" Christmas the years we go to FL so I'm going to take full advantage of a leisurely (in a sense) holiday this year. then I'll also have no excuse for a rush pack up and will (promise!) sort things out and REALLY organize them for next year. (hehehe).

I like your spelling better, scoobs, but I've had a few of those sebacceous cysts removed too and, while technically minor, it's not minor surgery when it's on you. And causes usually lots of inconvenience for a while. Hope it goes well.

I like the quote again about not planning your life. Sort of goes with the old saw "Man proposes, God disposes". Though a lot of my life has gone according to "plan", a lot sure doesn't and we do have to roll with the punch and manage to lead as full a life as we can no matter what. That's a new point for me too on the song which I always thought of in the free love way, as well.

Sunny and cold here today again. Not bad but I plan to stay put today again. Will need to go out again tomorrow. So I'll stay cozy today.
Old 12-28-2002, 10:59 AM   #40  

An eating day at 1500, Empress. Quite impressive. But you do need a punching bag for outrageous conduct stress! Best to punch than binge.

Good for you Wildfire for restarting right now instead of the new year. It would be just that much more "catchup" if you wait.

Any date works for me as far as this (or other) challenge goes. I think the waterworks will have me all primed to go on the Valentine's. Consistently sticking with the water seems to be my best tool. It's something I almost never did before in my health journey.
Old 12-28-2002, 11:41 AM   #41  

Smile Saturday 11ish

Back from the hairdresser- and DH has called 3x already from the car auction- we found out too late its a cash only auction and maybe its a good thing because he's already bought an open trailer ( small I'm sure) for $130 and a 91 Olds something for $230 for DD and Dsil. Their vehicle was hit after one of the storms in CT early Dec. Truck w/ a plow hit the front end so hard it spun them around and then he hit them again in the back! and he had no insurance either. ( and tried to get away except he then hit someone else about a block away!) So at this point, anything would be better than what they've got.

Wildfire-- thanks for the tip, looks like I'm set up for cookies but did find an option on my settings that lets me add web addresses to be allowed no matter what. Might do the trick.
I have beans soaking now for soup myself- soup with lots of water! ( hmmm-- broth!)

Anagram- I think we're sharing the same weather today- Glad to see the sun but it is BRISK out there. Especially since I'd rather not wear a coat running in and out of places-
And, yes, you hit the nail on the head, lemonade from lemons...
scraps into quilts...Time will pass anyway so why not make the most of it and "Love the one your with!"

Empress Jade- Yes, how rude!! Did these guys confirm the appointment too? Even worse! Don't they know who they're dealing with?? Obviously not!!

I'll be back in awhile!
Old 12-28-2002, 12:15 PM   #42  
Empress/Queen

Yo! Work finished ahead of schedule, since I didn't have to profile the two rude police officers. Not a productive week, but don't really care. Am meeting my managing editor for lunch so must runneth!!! Thanks for all who commented on how rudely Amarantha was treated yesterday!! It helps to read those comments! No, Kaylets, the officers themselves did not originally confirm the appointments, they were made by the chief, but since these are new officers, you'd think they'd want to do what chiefie said. He actually hid in his office when I got there and an elderly gent who was manning the desk kept running back and forth between the chief to me to tell me there was to be no interview. The phone messages that did finally turn up from the officers seemed awfully rude also. Seems like not a nice way to start a career in a tiny mountain police force with a reporter from the only newspaper in town, 'cause believe me, h*** will freeze over before I write anything about these officers. Oops, how unjournalistic of me!!! Guess that's how the press gets a bad name.

Kaylets: I love Joseph Campbell. Thanks for putting him in the Quote of the Day! Another of his sayings I adhere to is: "Follow your bliss!" What a lovely man he was.

Sticking with the water really helps my appetite control also, Wildfire. I'd like to get those calories down enough to really get results.

Howsomever, not to harp, but another forum had a discussion of water intoxication and mentioned some of the things that concerned me, such as the movement of punishing children by making them drink too much water. This is how the child died here and it makes me so sick, I cannot express it! Also, as mentioned, when it is hot (and especially with prolonged exercise in the heat), excessive water should be avoided (though it seems counter-intuitive) ... maybe a sports drink would be a better choice. This other forum also mentioned a condition that is becoming common of a milder chronic form of this water intoxication condition. It says it is becoming more common precisely because weight loss programs such as WW encourage high water consumption because it helps people lose weight. This CAN result in potassium levels that are two low. So because I started this thread and because water consumption is of high interest to me (living in Arizona), I'm again pointing out the need for caution, though with this intelligent group, I know that is not necessary and I'm really just over fussing about it. Let's just be sure our electrolytes are good and that (I can't bring myself to say this, though they discussed it on the other forum), certain personal fluids are not extremely clear and that we only drink to the point of comfort and sip throughout the day (not glugging all at once as I often want to)!!!

Sorry to bring this up again. It is so preachy of me! I am overanxious and perceive I must leave. That rhymes!

Old 12-28-2002, 01:49 PM   #43  

Thanks Empress for the reminder--

Certainly, forcing water as a lesson/punishment especially on a child is beyond my imagination and comprehension.

Common sense, no matter who is telling us otherwise is still the best way.

There are as many ' for 8 glasses as against' out there in the quick search I did- pro and against during excercise-- So its confusing .....

Common sense again: some of us do better w/ out soda even diet soda because of caffeine and sodium. I personally would rather eat my fruit than juice it but really enjoy tomato juice occasionally.
And I look better and feel so much more rested when I limit my caffenine intake too.

I know other folks if will only drink water as a last resort.

But for sure, it does make sense to me that milk, decaff beverages and juices would have the same 'hydration' as water.
After all, the old advice regarding fever was "drink plenty of fluids" -- Even when folks are in the hospital and having trouble getting liquids down, I've seen popsicles offered to the patient. . ( I don't mean fudgicles !! )

If you are an athelete and/or dealing w/ extreme heat-- there are other factors to consider too.

And is it my imagination or do you hear something dripping??

Old 12-28-2002, 06:02 PM   #44  
deleted2

Am having difficulty getting any momentun for this challenge! We're still being "social butterflies" and having a great time but food is always involved and I seem to have lost the ability to say no this season. We're staying home tomorrow and I intend to use this time to get back on track. If I can just get a good solid 24 hours behind me I'll be okay.

This has nothing to do with weight or anything but has been a powerful life lesson for me that I'd like to share: remember the friend that I had to dump for my own well-being? While she was still in the picture I felt unlovable and like I had no real friendships. Since I've moved this toxic relationship out of my life I can't believe how things have opened up for me! Because I've stopped pouring all my energy into this bottomless pit I have time for all my real friends that I've been neglecting. It's been quite the revelation!

Old 12-28-2002, 09:55 PM   #45  
Empress/Queen

Yo! Night falleth and Amarantha endeth her eating day at 1540 calories, with a 40-minute pole walk under her beaded belt!!! Woo-hoo! Weigh-in tomorrow may be a bust but feeling good about the challenge.

Eydie: Methinks the whole idea of this in-between blitzie challenge is it IS hard to gain momentum for projects (such as weight management) in the 'tween time around New Year's. So methinks thou be doing good just by planning to be back on track. First there is the thought, action will follow!

I am having the same feelings as thou about the end of a friendship, as my ex-best-friend did make overtures about repairing our relationship after writing me a series of vicious emails telling me what a bad and self-focused person I was. I have opted not to have anything else to do with this person, and the realization is that she has always made me feel bad about myself and that is always a signal that the relationship is toxic. Moving on feels good!

Kaylets: I definetely think thou be right that common sense be the best guide re H20. Don't know why I keep harping on this, as I know no one here is going to poison themselves. I have been extremely bothered by the instances of water drinking being used to harm children. Like you, I find this incomprehensible. I find anyone who would harm a child or an animal or any small creature to be incomprehensible in fact. These people should all take advantage of a law we have here ... the "Safe Baby" act, whereby it is legally permissible to leave a baby with firefighters. (This just happened yesterday, a woman left a newborn at a fire station and called from a nearby phone. It was cold outside and the little one was exposed for a short time, but at least the woman tried to do the right thing, as opposed to abandoning the baby in a dumpster or something.) I think anyone who has a mean streak that would allow them to harm their child should just recognize that fact early on and turn their children over at birth to a fire station!

Sorry, I'm getting way off topic here and I vowed not to ramble on this challenge!

Have a great night everyone! Let's stay as focused as possible until we reach the Valentine's Day challenge. I hope to start that challenge with my calories and weight down a bit and my exercise off to a rousing start, as well as my 32-ounce habit firmly established. I personally have never felt better than I have since drinking that amount consistently and my sinus infection has cleared up to boot!

Bye-bye!
Closed Thread