Separating exercise from diet

• I have been over weight or obese basically my whole life. I've dieted/exercised on and off, for various amounts of time and my weight has yo-yoed. But I've always (until now) looked and diet and exercise as a package deal.

The problem is, since I have issues with binge eating, I can eat healthy and controled for only so long, then I'll go off the deep end and binge. Sometimes a binge can last a few days (for anyone that binges, you know what I mean). But in the past when ever I went off my diet, I immediately gave up exercise too.

This time I've separated the two.
    I exercise.
    And when I binge, or am eating poorly. When I eat the wrong foods or whatever, I still go to the gym.

And I have found that doing this has really helped me see exercise as a part of my life and not just something I only do when my eating habits are perfectly healthy.
  • When I did the weight loss eons ago, I tired to keep up the exercise even when the weight didn,t come down because of my out of control eating, but one, looking back and with more maturity I realize how immature that was. So what if I wasn't, losing? I was at least slowing down the gain! I was at least doing something good for my body! So I too this time, no matter what will not give up the exercise. The exercise part of it is actually the harder to restart for me anyhow. I hate thinking about all the strength I lost and have to rebuild.

So good for you for realizing that too!
  • I too refuse to give up the exercise, regardless of my binges. I have had to work on this and be completely dedicated to the idea of exercise no matter what else comes up.
  • This is great advice! I've always seen diet and exercise that way too, although usually when I binge it's depression that triggers it, which also triggers me to slack when it comes to exercising...I'll keep this tip in mind, though
  • That is a great way to look at it. Even aside from weight loss, the exercise will make you stronger and more capable so that's always good.
  • Quote: This is great advice! I've always seen diet and exercise that way too, although usually when I binge it's depression that triggers it, which also triggers me to slack when it comes to exercising...I'll keep this tip in mind, though
    Its been very helpful for me. When I don't have the "strength" to control my eating, I just let it go and focus on staying with my workout. I have depression issues too. I've found that when I stop exercising they go from bad to worse. Which is another reason I have begun putting exercise before dieting.
  • I've been having the same problems lately in that my eating has been pretty crappy and so I stop exercising. It's like I need to do both or neither. And so I've been having problems getting back on track.

This is a good perspective to take, separating the two. Thanks for starting a thread about it. It's totally made me think about the whole losing weight thing differently.