Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-03-2011, 04:07 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 211/see ticker/145

Default Please help....=/

I have been trying to lose weight since high school but instead i always end up gaining more and more. Ive tried everything under the sun...fab diets, cleanses, weight watchers, diet pills. I just realized the more weight I gained the more depressed I got about myself and everything about me. Luckily I have a boyfriend of 3 years who helps and encourages me but he wants me to meet his parents and get engaged this year...and its something I should be excited about it but I think a big things thats keeping me down about it is my weight. I have horrible mind control...I feel like when i start eating...my brain stops thinking and my stomach takes over. Its so hard to control!! So hopefully with time and a lot of mind control, as well as 3FC, I can get to where I want to be.

I will have a really good month of weight loss, and then just go back to my old ways. I take one step forward and two steps back.

What workouts, eating regimens, thought processes have worked best for you all? Any type of advice would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by kneed2lose; 04-03-2011 at 04:23 PM.
kneed2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 04:21 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

You say you've "tried everything," but the things you listed are all what I would consider more extreme forms of dieting that haven't necessarily been shown to be effective to keep the weight off. If these are the only plans you've tried, it's no wonder you end up back to your old ways.

Have you ever tried either calorie counting or exchange programs (like Weight Watchers). Many of the successful maintainers I've seen swear that creating a sustainable lifestyle, like these kinds of programs, are among the best for losing the weight and keeping it off. But they don't promise fast fast results. Other people have success on programs that limit particular foods that give them control problems (like South Beach Diet)...
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 04:23 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 254/181/165

Height: 5'7.5"

I count calories and exercise because that's the easiest thing to stick to of all the plans out there and it works. It may not be as flashy or glamorous as all the diet stuff out there but it works and you don't have to worry about should i shouldn't eat this or that. You will start making healthier choices most of the time because after awhile you start to realize you can eat a lot more and feel a lot fuller when you eat lower calorie healthy foods but if you want to have some junk food every once in awhile its not big deal you just portion it right and work it into your meal plan. After a few months you will know the calorie content of all sorts of stuff and be able to add things up and your head and gage wether or not something is "worth it" to you before it ever touches your mouth. Once you've reached your goal you can also keep a check on your eating and continue to make more calorie conscious choices. It's a great way to do things.
niafabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 04:27 PM   #4  

Thanks for your reply Heather!

I have tried weight watchers, but it got very expensive for me because im a student. Yea...a lot of the things I have tried were the extreme "quick fixes" but I have also tried eating really healthy but I just fall off the ball. I guess i just need to figure out how to get more mind control.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:30 PM   #5  

Thanks so much Niafabo!!

Its nice getting different opinions regarding your own situation. All my family and friends are skinny and its hard to talk to them about it. But thank you so much for your words of advice. =) You look great, good luck with the rest of your journey!
Old 04-03-2011, 04:34 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

There's a version of WW online which I think is cheaper. A number of people attend a group called TOPS (taking off pounds sensibly) which I think is free!

Do some searching around the WW board or search for threads and you'll find some useful info I hope!!

I do think the key to being successful is to find something that works FOR YOU,but that can be hard to figure out!!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 05:10 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 153/130/135

Height: 5'7"

Something you said struck a chord:

"...I have also tried eating really healthy but I just fall off the ball."

Extremist thinking like that (i.e., eating "really healthy") always tripped me up. I am an all-or-nothing sort of person and erroneously thought I needed to eat just veggies, fruits, whole grains, etc. in order to lose weight. I am a calorie-counter and would not want to live the remainder of my life if I couldn't enjoy foods like cupcakes and Doritos! Now, I do not eat those things daily, but my point is that sometimes you need to take baby steps, and don't quit your current way of eating cold-turkey. Make one or two changes weekly and you'll see a difference slowly but surely.
fatburner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 05:19 PM   #8  
shwerk

S/C/G: 274/158/145

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatburner77 View Post

Extremist thinking like that (i.e., eating "really healthy") always tripped me up. I am an all-or-nothing sort of person and erroneously thought I needed to eat just veggies, fruits, whole grains, etc. in order to lose weight. I am a calorie-counter and would not want to live the remainder of my life if I couldn't enjoy foods like cupcakes and Doritos! Now, I do not eat those things daily, but my point is that sometimes you need to take baby steps, and don't quit your current way of eating cold-turkey. Make one or two changes weekly and you'll see a difference slowly but surely.
this.
gagalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:06 PM   #9  
Aashna/photographer

S/C/G: 299 / 233 / 165

Height: 5'5

I am in the same boat as you.

I've tried everything for the past 10 years and nothing seems to work, I don't eat much and yet I keep gaining weight, just recently I went to see a doctor to just see what is going on with me, I was told it was probably a thyroids or PCOS problems, I am still waiting for the results but meanwhile the doctor prescribe for me some meds to help me lose weight, so far I lost few kilos.

If you can't seem to lose weight easily you probably need to check a doctor, it can help.
may77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:07 AM   #10  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatburner77 View Post

BINGO!
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:25 AM   #11  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneed2lose View Post
I have been trying to lose weight since high school but instead i always end up gaining more and more. Ive tried everything under the sun...fab diets, cleanses, weight watchers, diet pills. I just realized the more weight I gained the more depressed I got about myself and everything about me. Luckily I have a boyfriend of 3 years who helps and encourages me but he wants me to meet his parents and get engaged this year...and its something I should be excited about it but I think a big things thats keeping me down about it is my weight. I have horrible mind control...I feel like when i start eating...my brain stops thinking and my stomach takes over. Its so hard to control!! So hopefully with time and a lot of mind control, as well as 3FC, I can get to where I want to be.

I will have a really good month of weight loss, and then just go back to my old ways. I take one step forward and two steps back.

What workouts, eating regimens, thought processes have worked best for you all? Any type of advice would be greatly appreciated!
When I read your post I get really mad. Not mad at you but angry that such a simple topic has been made bewildering by the diet industry and mass media. There is so much promotion of this or that as the next big thing and everyone is looking for the silver bullet. After reading about this subject every day for the last two years I can tell you that there is no silver bullet, there is no magic pill. This topic is extremely simple and here is how it works.

Fat loss or gain comes down to calories. That's it.

Consume more than you use and you gain fat.
Consume less than you use and you lose fat.

The key to losing weight and keeping it off is to find a way of eating that is sustainable. Stop thinking diet and start thinking new lifestyle. You can eat whatever you want and be fat or you can restrict your intake and be a healthy weight.

You don't need money although eating healthy is more expensive than eating crappy which is a whole nother topic that ticks me off.

There are a number of calorie counting websites that are free. I use Fitday. You don't have to count calories but it works for a lot of people.

Atkins or strict paleo are what I would suggest if you don't want to count calories. You can look at those diets and see if the kinds of foods you would be eating are sustainable.

Regarding exercise it is much like your new eating lifestyle. You need to find something that you enjoy or at least don't hate and do that. I like lifting weights and walking.

I'd suggest starting with brisk walking. You can do it with your boyfriend.

I'm a big fan of lifting weights and it has some great benefits for helping people lose weight and avoiding the dreaded skinny fat look but it's not for everyone.

Understand exercise has tremendous health benefits but the only thing it does for fat loss is burn calories. You don't burn that many calories working out no matter what the DVD cover or book says unless you're willing to devote hours a day to exercise. For example P90X works not because of muscle confusion but because if you follow the program you will be eating a restrictive low carb diet.

I've said enough. Goodluck!
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 02:49 AM   #12  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Slow but steady, like some people have mentioned, losing weight and keeping it off means making permanent and sustainable changes to your habits. You don't have to eat 1,200 calories a day of nothing but brown rice and raw cucumbers - why not try slowly incorporating little changes, like having a smaller portion of lunch and adding in a brisk walk several days a week?

Most importantly it's important not to get sucked into thinking that just because you had one bad day after a string of good days, all your efforts have gone to waste. That's just plain WRONG, having 5 good days and 2 bad days is far better than 0 good days and 7 bad days.

Of course, I like to tell myself I don't believe in "good" and "bad" days, since every day adds up and makes a lifetime. You can lose weight without killing yourself with restriction and dieting, I promise.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:35 AM   #13  
Keepin' on...

S/C/G: 350/208/150

Height: 5'4"

I know this girl who just cannot seem to hold a job. She has 3 kids. She hooks up with this guy or that who will pay the bills for awhile, lives in government housing, etc, really jumps through all kinds of hoops to get the money she needs without working. Sure, she's gotten jobs before, even went to school for dental hygiene during one particularly inpspired time period. But it always ends the same.

I guess I was brought up with a good work ethic, because it's not even in the back of my mind to do what she does when I'm putting on my snow boots for work in the dark, middle of winter. I put one foot in front of the other and do what needs to be done.

Somewhere along the line, I didn't pay attention to the fact that healthy, fit people have that same ethic in terms of eating and exercise. You eat what your body needs, you exercise your muscles, and you have a strong body. I am trying to incorporate this work ethic into my lifestyle. I'm telling myself "this is what needs to be done", and just do it. The longer I'm at it, the more I am starting to feel like it would be weird and unacceptable to just down huge quantities of crap like I used to. Almost as weird as just deciding that work is optional when I have bills to pay.

Good luck to you!
shannonmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:39 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 217/seeticker/130

I have been doing atkins for two weeks and so far it has had some pretty great results. Before starting this I would eat so much sugar, and starch on a daily basis and loved sweets. I never really thought I would be able to stick to what looked like such a restrictive diet but it has not been a problem. I honestly cant ever see my self going back to my old ways. I dont feel its hard to stick to at all and like with calorie counting when I am always hungry I am only hungry right around meal times on atkins and its never to the point where I have to eat now or I am going to pass out from stavation lol, but really I felt that way a lot counting cals. Not all diets work the same for all people so you have to do some research see which way you think will be the best for you to live you life. Try it and if its not working or doesnt feel right then try another way of healthy eating but forget about the fad diests and pills they really are just pointless. and of course exersize!!
Brooklynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:46 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 217/seeticker/130

John I think you said it really well and trust me all this fad crap drives me crazy too.
The one thing I always stick to if I have to spend money on "diet pills" and they only work with diet and exersize then whats the point because the diet and exersize works all on its own. I have never heard a pill say is magic and you dont have to do anything. Even when they try to make it sound like that there is ALWAYS a disclaimer.
Brooklynn is offline   Reply With Quote