Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-24-2011, 05:52 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 285/165/135

Height: 5'10

Default How long does it take to reset your metabolism after being in stavation mode?

I'll keep this quick.
I just want to know how long it will take to reset your metabolism so BMR calculators actually work again. I was told I have an eating disorder or sorts, which I already suspected but denied to others and myself, and I am trying to eat properly now, drink fluids again and stop taking diuretics and laxatives. The problem is, and the main reason why I keep reverting back to my ways whenever I try to do things right, is that everytime I eat over 800-1000 calories a day and drink water/anything, I gain around 10 lbs in a matter of 1-3 days. I really can't stand seeing that even if I know it is water weight and so my scales have been taken, to keep me from starving, dehydrating and weighing myself maybe 50 times.. I just want to know, is if I eat 1200-1450 calories a day again and drink 8-10 cups of water, with of course normal amounts of working out, how long will it take before I start losing weight normally?

Thanks!
Lynn89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 05:58 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 254/181/165

Height: 5'7.5"

It could take months. Your body has to realize that it's not going to starve and that it's okay to let go of fat. I know it's not what you want to hear but it will take time.

There are tons of different sites out there that will tell you different things to do but honestly this one is my favorite http://www.burnthefat.com/slow-metabolism-problems.html Just ignor his ads and stuff.
niafabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:24 PM   #3  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

you need to do an all out refeed--- eating at or ABOVe Maint for a little while --- week to 10 days. AND REST for goods sake..... at your height/weight that means close to 3000 cals a day. Im sorry thats not what you want to hear, and i know you wont do it, but its the only way out
google Leigh Peele and the MRM (Metabolic REPAIR Manual)
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:53 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkroyer View Post
you need to do an all out refeed--- eating at or ABOVe Maint for a little while --- week to 10 days. AND REST for goods sake..... at your height/weight that means close to 3000 cals a day. Im sorry thats not what you want to hear, and i know you wont do it, but its the only way out
google Leigh Peele and the MRM (Metabolic REPAIR Manual)
Oh, man, I just can't do that. I am having a hard time eating 1200-1450 calories let alone anything near that. It makes me actually sick sometimes, although it's been a week now so I am feeling a little better. My BMR, without exercise added in and at sedentary, is 1936 or something. So burning 750 a day through exercise and eating 1200 a day should equal about 3 lbs a week, but I already know it won't because I've tried. I will gain from eating 1200...let alone more. I can't do that.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:13 PM   #5  
You mad bro?

S/C/G: 228/164.6/128

Height: 5'3"

This may be tough to hear, but you might just have to gain in order to lose. It will be tough, no doubt about that, but you can overcome this!
Laneyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:15 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by niafabo View Post
It could take months. Your body has to realize that it's not going to starve and that it's okay to let go of fat. I know it's not what you want to hear but it will take time.

There are tons of different sites out there that will tell you different things to do but honestly this one is my favorite (wont let site be inputted) Just ignor his ads and stuff.
Thanks. Yea, I want to do more weight training (like he said) but there is very little info out there on how to do things, how long to do them and how much weight, etc. People just say you should weight train, here's why, the end. I'm considering getting a trainer because most of what I do it cardio and my weight training is misguided. I think I am just going to wait a little while until I feel better. I was in the hospital only a week ago so I think I'll give it a couple more. Especially becauswe I already feel bigger and bloated and I don't want some trainer weighing me or taking my measurments right now. It will just make me go frantic again. That's how I started this bad cycle in the first place.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:20 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laneyy View Post
This may be tough to hear, but you might just have to gain in order to lose. It will be tough, no doubt about that, but you can overcome this!
Thanks. Yea, I know I will. I can feel 10 lbs sitting on me. I just know it... but I'm not allowed to check.. I can feel everything though and my stomach isn't small in the first place. (Which is a big problem.. i shouldn't look like this when my BMI is only 23-24. The picture hides it.) Now it looks like a balloon.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:27 PM   #8  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

From what I have read most people will need two weeks of eating at maintinence and getting at least 100g of carbs a day to reset things metabolically and hormonally but obviously it depends on a host of factors.

As for gaining 10lbs so what? I understand how it feels to carry weight in your belly as my fat is concentrated there as well. When dieting my belly is thinner and when I start eating at maintinence it gets biggger. Eventually you and I will be at the weight we want with the sized abdomen we want.

As someone said - you often have to gain some weight to lose some weight.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:30 PM   #9  
Embracing the suck

As far as weight lifting goes hiring a personal trainer is definately hit or miss.

I'd say you're better off educating yourself and following a routine created by a pro.

Most of the trainers I've seen working with clients are not doing their clients any big favors.

My favorite pro is Lyle McDonald he has an article weight lifting for beginners.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:00 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
As far as weight lifting goes hiring a personal trainer is definately hit or miss.

I'd say you're better off educating yourself and following a routine created by a pro.

Most of the trainers I've seen working with clients are not doing their clients any big favors.

My favorite pro is Lyle McDonald he has an article weight lifting for beginners.
Is it for girls too though? Believe it or not, I used to actually do everything right and do know quite a lot about nutrition and exercise. The one thing I was never able to find much concrete info on weight training and an actual plan. It is the one thing I am kind of lost on and I feel kind of like I did that first day when i was 285... confused, frusterated and overwhelmed..every time I try to find information on exactly what to do I just get more lost.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:09 PM   #11  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

If you're looking for weight training aimed at women, google Stumptuous

I personally love New Rules of Lifting for Women, too.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:23 PM   #12  
Embracing the suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn89 View Post
Is it for girls too though?
Yes. The only difference between men and women is men have testosterone and can therefore gain muscle about twice as fast as women.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:02 AM   #13  
Tellin' it like it is!

you prob dont gain FAT at 1200... you prob just gain water.... you see the number jump up on the scale and freak out and restrict again.... you add calories and you are going to experience an increase in weight, merely from the added weight of the extra food, more glycogen in your body and thus also more water...... idid a massive re-feed for a week...... i gained 14 pounds.
but GUESS WHAT? it was WATER WEIGHT (except for a pound or 2) and it came off in exactly 2 weeks. A refeed is THe ONLY ONLY ONLY way to reset your metabolism. IF you start adding int weight training with supersetting (re: New rules of lifting) it will only make things worse. Do you WANT to eat 1000 cals a day for the rest of your life? exercising more and eating less isnt the answer. you HAVE TO refeed your body to reset falling hormone levels....

Did you google Leigh Peele and the Metabolic Repair Manual?

You are not ever going to be able to lose fat... i was able to reset my maint from 1200 ish to 1750ish by doing the entire REPAIR program

Last edited by mkroyer; 03-25-2011 at 11:05 AM.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:19 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkroyer View Post
you prob dont gain FAT at 1200... you prob just gain water.... you see the number jump up on the scale and freak out and restrict again.... you add calories and you are going to experience an increase in weight, merely from the added weight of the extra food, more glycogen in your body and thus also more water...... idid a massive re-feed for a week...... i gained 14 pounds.
but GUESS WHAT? it was WATER WEIGHT (except for a pound or 2) and it came off in exactly 2 weeks. A refeed is THe ONLY ONLY ONLY way to reset your metabolism. IF you start adding int weight training with supersetting (re: New rules of lifting) it will only make things worse. Do you WANT to eat 1000 cals a day for the rest of your life? exercising more and eating less isnt the answer. you HAVE TO refeed your body to reset falling hormone levels....

Did you google Leigh Peele and the Metabolic Repair Manual?

You are not ever going to be able to lose fat... i was able to reset my maint from 1200 ish to 1750ish by doing the entire REPAIR program
I know it's water weight, but i can still see it.
I googled that book and I just breif descriptions and ads to buy it.
As fo rthe bit I read about her stance of weight lifting, I would love to agree but i don't. I know many people who only look good now because of weight lifting. Cardio just doesn't finish the job.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:45 PM   #15  
Tellin' it like it is!

oh i agree strength training is so key! i was merely referring to the negative effects that superset style strength training, or metabolic strength training coud have on an already damaged and taxed metabolism