Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-07-2011, 07:58 AM   #61  
On a Mission

S/C/G: 246/193/169

Height: 5'9"

It will probably take a while to reset if you've taken all these drastic measures to get to where you are. Slowly increasing your caloric intake and making sure to get enough protein and water is worth a shot. You are gonna have to accept some imperfection and fluctuation for a while though. I don't see any way around that, unfortunately. They say stress hormones add to abdominal fat tho so you might try to curtail your reactions so you aren't stressing yourself about this quite so much. Stressing doesn't burn fat, it just helps store it.

Last edited by 4star; 04-07-2011 at 07:59 AM.
4star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:39 PM   #62  

S/C/G: 98/112/128

Thumbs up

It is so true that one must gain weight in order to lose weight.

This happened to me the first time I recovered from anorexia and bulimia. I was underweight, went into treatment and gained weight. But a lot of the weight I gained was before I went to treatment I ended up binging on a TON of JUNK food and my weight shot up immediately from 90 pounds to 147 pounds. Note that I'm 5'7. So even at 147 I wasn't considered over weight yet. Keep in mind it was not anything healthy foods I ate when I binged and binged and couldn't stop. A lot of it was water retention but I did gain fat mostly plus because of the type of food I binged was not healthy- pop tarts donuts, cookies sugary cereal fattening milk and stuff like that.

When I went into treatment, I was on a 2,000 calorie diet. It took about two months for all water retention to go away. I started losing some weight while in rehab and I stopped at 127. But my weight bounced from there to 130 pounds per day but I would be back to 127 the next morning. Now, I ended up purging many times in treatment from triggers and from there I gained more water retention. As a result of messing up a perfectly good metabolism, my end weight was 153 pounds. Still, I wasn't considered over weight.

I ended up leaving treatment as I couldn't pay for anymore treatment. I was much better than I was mentally and physically but of course I relapsed when I got home with my bulimia. But after a while, I stopped and realized I was happy with myself and I didn't want to be unhealthy anymore. So I started eating healthy and ate 5 to 6 meals a day and for about 5 to 6 months my weight didn't go up and down until the last month out of the six. My body completely unclogged and was having bowel movements three times a day. I was peeing more and I started losing the excess weight naturally. So I am proof that you will gain some weight-a lot of it water retention but your body will not allow you to become over weight if you eat the right foods as your body tries to get back to normal. You WILL find your set weight and your metabolism can recover. To be honest, it didn't take long for mine to recover. But you just gotta be patient and give it time.

Start to eat around 2,000 calories a day in order to reset your metabolism. No restricting no starving three meals and three snacks two to three hours apart but don't go longer than four hours without eating. Stick to whole grains, healthy fats, lean meats but I recommend sea food like salmon, shrimp and so forth; beans, fruits, low fat to fat free milk or almond milk, fat free to low fat cottage cheese and yogurts like light and fit, greek yogurt and yoplait light, vegetabls and smoothies and I guarentee your metabolism will recover. In the beginning, try to get your carbohydrates from legumes, sweet potatoes and other vegetables. I recommend sticking to vegetables like sweet potatoes, regular potatoes, carrots, peas(legume too!), spinach, asparagus, tomatoes, fresh greens, salads instead of brocolli, cauliflower, cabbage, brussels sprouts, onions and peppers. They tend to cause more bloating and more gas. Once your bodys metabolism is normal then incorporate more whole grains like oat meal, polenta, pastas, whole grain, white or wheat breads and such. and add in the eliminated vegetables. This is what I did and was recommended by two nutritionionists I saw (the one I still see.) It will help with having bowel movements and getting the nutrition you need. Take multi vitamins and I HIGHLY recommend taking vitamin B-1 as a separate supplement. Vitamin B-1 known as Thiamine is VERY important during refeeding syndrome. So is phosphorus. If you notice swelling- water retention it is most likely your electrolytes are out of whack and your phosphorus is off.

Once your electrolytes are stable along with your entire metabolic panel, then everything should start to release and settle. Then the next stage is finding your natural weight or set up for healthy weight loss.

If you do this, your metabolism should be back to normal within 6 months. But even after two weeks, there is a dramatic improvement. So don't get discouraged! You can do this!

Another point is-refrain from exercise until your metabolism recovers because exercise during metabolism recovery can actually cause you to gain weight because it puts your body in freak out mode as exercise makes you splurge on calories in a moment when your body will want to retain all the nutrition it can. So give the exercise a rest for a while.

I ended up relapsing big time for the second time when my father passed away and my weight dropped. So I'm currently going through the whole recovery, bloating and being constipated thing all over again, lol. So I'm with you girl! But we can do it!

Like I said, I'm proof your body can get back to normal. Don't be scared to gain some weight in order to lose. You won't become over weight. Once you get through that hump the reward is at the end! Take it day by day and you will get there

If it makes you feel any better, I knew of a girl who had 40 pounds of water retention and it took her 6 months to get rid of it all. So everyone is different. But even she recovered her metabolism along with everything else!

Last edited by BombshellItalia; 12-08-2012 at 12:52 PM.
BombshellItalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 06:09 PM   #63  

I stopped doing what you are doing now on Monday after I found out what I hoped was something wrong with my thyroid was actually just me killing my metabolism. It doesn't sound right, but you need to eat more. Your body is in starvation mode and is concerning every ounce of fat it can get because it doesn't believe it will be getting food again. I'm currently increasing my caloric intake to 1500-1800 calories every day, but I'm not fill my body with empty calories from soda or candy; I'm eating real, healthy foods like chicken and smoothies. Don't be discouraged. I promise you eating more will help reset your body. You can do this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn89 View Post
Oh, man, I just can't do that. I am having a hard time eating 1200-1450 calories let alone anything near that. It makes me actually sick sometimes, although it's been a week now so I am feeling a little better. My BMR, without exercise added in and at sedentary, is 1936 or something. So burning 750 a day through exercise and eating 1200 a day should equal about 3 lbs a week, but I already know it won't because I've tried. I will gain from eating 1200...let alone more. I can't do that.
morty is offline   Reply With Quote