Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-28-2011, 11:53 AM   #46  

S/C/G: 285/165/135

Height: 5'10

Quote:
Originally Posted by maydaymayday911 View Post
Lynn, I think you're my sister in the search for the elusive flat stomach. I am not sure that I will ever get rid of my kangaroo pouch no matter how hard I try. I just have to resign myself to knowing that it may be the last weight I lose, and I will just have to hope and pray that my cleavage continues to distract people from checking out my tummy.

I've been trying to work really hard on my posture, as that seems to help lessen the pouch visually.

YES to the cleavage hopefully averting eyes from the stomach. LOL. :P Although.. I have lost 17 inches at least in the bust area.. :S Hopefully that was more in my back.. See, it comes off there just fine. I mean I lost at least 17 in the bust, 15ish in the waist (true waist which is a bit higher up on me unfortunately) and maybe 12 in what I call the hip area, (really is just lower tummy fat) but I can move the pouch aside and say that the number is more like 16 in the hips..that damn fat pouch just is in the way. What gives? Most people say it comes off evenly.. that is NOT even.

I just want it to stop taking from everywhere else and take from there now. My problem is that, being that my bmi is 23.7, I don't have much more weight I can technically lose.. Even if my BMI went down to 18.5, which would be considered underweight.. that is only 36 more lbs. I have a hard time believing this will be even close to gone in 36 more lbs. I know 5 lbs, etc, becomes more visible as you get closer to your goal, so I am hoping it's just that....
Lynn89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:56 PM   #47  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

This topic has veared off course-- to the OP:
restricting carbs is BAD if you are trying to fix your metabolism (high amounts of carbs help with falling hormone levels)
starting a new training program/training harder is bad if you want to fix your metabolism
restricting food intake is bad if you want to fix your metabolism.

ar e you willing to take 1 step back to tak 2 steps forward?
that is a refeed. but it has to be done properly and youhave to REST

Resting ALONE may cause you to drop 5 pounds im very serious)
you cnt eat 1000 cals a day for the rest of your life...... you can do a CONTROLLED refeed or you can keep restricting and restrictin till ou ?break" and binge, and put on REAL weight....... not just water weight.
My opinion
Taking a break and forcing myself to eat more was the hardest thing ive done, psychologically.....it wa also the greatestgift i could have ever given myself......especilly the REST my body so desperately neeeded.

Legih peele specializes in woman with disordered eating who are underfe and overtrained and carbo-phobs and terrified to eat... those who have done significant damage to their metabolisms.... she is worth the investment to join her site (for 9 bux a month) and she is on the forums ALL THE TIME helping the memebrs and answering questions, etc. She is known as the "fat loss troubleshooter" and could get anyone OUT OF A STALL
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:59 PM   #48  
Tellin' it like it is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn89 View Post
YES to the cleavage hopefully averting eyes from the stomach. LOL. :P Although.. I have lost 17 inches at least in the bust area.. :S Hopefully that was more in my back.. See, it comes off there just fine. I mean I lost at least 17 in the bust, 15ish in the waist (true waist which is a bit higher up on me unfortunately) and maybe 12 in what I call the hip area, (really is just lower tummy fat) but I can move the pouch aside and say that the number is more like 16 in the hips..that damn fat pouch just is in the way. What gives? Most people say it comes off evenly.. that is NOT even.

I just want it to stop taking from everywhere else and take from there now. My problem is that, being that my bmi is 23.7, I don't have much more weight I can technically lose.. Even if my BMI went down to 18.5, which would be considered underweight.. that is only 36 more lbs. I have a hard time believing this will be even close to gone in 36 more lbs. I know 5 lbs, etc, becomes more visible as you get closer to your goal, so I am hoping it's just that....

who gives a s**t what your BMI is...... whats your bODY FAT level? perhaps you are skinney fat... my BMI puts me *almost* into overweight range, but my BF is 19ish% and i wear a size 2..... whatever
Old 03-28-2011, 05:25 PM   #49  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkroyer View Post
who gives a s**t what your BMI is...... whats your bODY FAT level? perhaps you are skinney fat... my BMI puts me *almost* into overweight range, but my BF is 19ish% and i wear a size 2..... whatever
Last time I checked my body fat was 27-28%. Of course I am skinny fat. :P Although most of my body parts aren't fat at all. Just my lower abdomen and my thighs.. and my upper arms have a bit of loose skin but are not fat.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:41 PM   #50  

Quote:
restricting carbs is BAD if you are trying to fix your metabolism (high amounts of carbs help with falling hormone levels)
starting a new training program/training harder is bad if you want to fix your metabolism

you cnt eat 1000 cals a day for the rest of your life...... you can do a CONTROLLED refeed or you can keep restricting and restrictin till ou ?break" and binge, and put on REAL weight....... not just water weight.
My opinion
Taking a break and forcing myself to eat more was the hardest thing ive done, psychologically.....it wa also the greatestgift i could have ever given myself......especilly the REST my body so desperately neeeded.

Legih peele specializes in woman with disordered eating who are underfe and overtrained and carbo-phobs and terrified to eat... those who have done significant damage to their metabolisms.... she is worth the investment to join her site (for 9 bux a month) and she is on the forums ALL THE TIME helping the memebrs and answering questions, etc. She is known as the "fat loss troubleshooter" and could get anyone OUT OF A STALL
I don't disagree that restricting carbs can be a bad idea- I don't do it intentionally. I just don't really like many items that have carbs, except for mini raosted potatos which I pretty much never have or subway sandwhiches. I don't like breads and pastas, etc. I genuinely like vegetables and fruit- I always have. I only ballooned so much because my skinny husband hates healthy things and for a long time I gave up and ate his food.

As for exercise, although I used to be riddiculous in the amounts I would do and had no free-time whatsoever, I ran out of energy as I started taking detrimental pills and stopped drinking water/anything or eating really anything. So I have tappered off to little to no exercise as I literally couldn't muster any energy to do anything extensive. I think that re-starting everything and adding in a proper amount of resistance training is a good idea now that I actually have some energy again. I need to repair the damage I have done and clearly need to rebuild some muscle.

As for food, I increased temporarily from from the 1200 now to about 1500. (which has been a challenge, but I have found ways to stick it in without making me ill. Also a little easier when I am exercising.) I actually managed 1950 one day-my BMR- which is what I would have usually had over 2-5 days before!

It's not like I don't want to get better.. it's just hard. I tried many times in the past and relapsed because the scale would depress me. This time I am being watched though. The first few days I was so sick. I felt like I couldn't move and drinking water made me feel more thirsty and very much like I would throw up. So again.. I'm not trying to not completely change, it is physically very hard as well as emotionally.

As for gaining weight in favor of progression, I am. I am up what I assume is 5-10 lbs. :S I'm not allowed to check right now which seems to be helping a lot.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:23 PM   #51  
Tellin' it like it is!

Lynn... thank you for not taking what i said offensively and huge CONGRATS on eating almost 2000 cals!! thats a BIG step.....
i kno that you know what yu need to do..... i have a lot of personal experience in this area myself
Old 04-05-2011, 07:06 PM   #52  

Quote:

My opinion

So, in regards to the "Metabolic Repair Manual";
I increased my calories and drank proper amounts of water and gained what I can easily assume is 15-20 lbs in 2 weeks..
Now that the book is finally telling me what to do, it says that I was supposed to do the rest phase at 1060 calories for a while with less water than I have been drinking so I don't gain weight.. but it's too late. I thought that I was suppose to start eating normally even if it made me feel sick and made me gain crazy amounts of weight. But that's not what it says.. so now I feel like I am fatter for no reason and now I don't know how to do this program because I can't do the main first big step. What do I do now? Now I just feel fat, confused and miserable and my clothes don't fit anymore.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:36 PM   #53  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
I feel like I am fatter for no reason and now I don't know how to do this program because I can't do the main first big step. What do I do now? Now I just feel fat, confused and miserable and my clothes don't fit anymore.
Start dieting again. Life is full of lessons. Lessons are repeated until learned.

The lesson this time is read a bit more carefully. The good news is you're primed for fat loss as your body surely has adjusted to the higher calories. Those clothes will fit in no time!
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:42 AM   #54  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
Start dieting again. Life is full of lessons. Lessons are repeated until learned.

The lesson this time is read a bit more carefully. The good news is you're primed for fat loss as your body surely has adjusted to the higher calories. Those clothes will fit in no time!
Diet how? I was at around 1400 calories and I gained like that.. what could I possible reduce to? Clearly my BMR isn't fixed. And it's not that I didn't read carefully. Unfortunately, I did read carefully. It said not to jump ahead so I didn't. And I could only read between calls at work since I am so swamped and have no free time really. Well, considering I had just got out of the hospital it's not like I could wait for the book to get to the point (not that the other stuff wasn't good but it didn't tell me what to do in the beginning..) so I did what everyone told me and drank 8 cups of water a day from less than a quarter cup before where I drank no other fluids but that quarter cup.. and increased my calories from about 350-750 a day to 1200-1400 with a few days where I managed to be at what my BMR should be which is 1950. First time in forever since I have. But, low and behold, as I have always said I would, I ballooned. See, this is why I give in and and take my diuretics, laxatives, etc and stop drinking any fluids or eating every time I try to do things properly. Because THAT is the ONLY way I don't gain weight anymore. But I get that I can't do that anymore. Certain people know know and wouldn't let me anyways. My point is, I have no freakin' clue what to do now because that weight is back, nothing I do will make it go and I can either stop eating to maintain or keep trying to fix things and gain more weight at an absurd rate and just hope that a lot of it was water weight and it is going to slow own soon. It's not like I don't know how a normal person loses weight... I did that. I know a lot about nutrition, dieting for a life change and how to exercise-just not really resistance training. I have made many people successful plans. But somewhere along the line things stopped working for me after losing so much weight so I had to get more and more extreme. Traditional methods no longer work on me and I don't know where to go from here. It seems no one does.
There is my rant. I'm having a really pissy week and so now that I have ranted I am going to go take a shower and try to forget about this for a while, which I know will be unsucessful considering I have OCD and will not be able to stop thinking of this once. Horray.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:27 PM   #55  
Fat Chick on a Mission

S/C/G: 216/ticker/150

Height: 5ft 3in

I'm not familiar with the programs y'all are discussing so I hope I'm not offending anyone by butting in here....but are you saying that your highest intake was 1400 a day? That is still a dieting phase because it creates a deficit of atleast 200 from what is the normal BMR for your body-MUCH more if you are active at all.

I think your goal is a little unreasonable for your height. There's no way you're going to get there without resorting to unhealthy means. You have already lost so much and have already achieved a healthy weight after being very obese. You should be proud-not beating yourself up every day.

When I was 18 years old I went from over 200 pounds to 118. I had youth on my side and hadn't had children-and I still had the stomach pooch. What happens if you manage to get down that low and the pooch is still there? You have lost such a large amount of weight that even when there is no fat left to lose in an area of your body there will still be some excess skin. Fortunately our flaws are always more noticeable to us than they are to everyone else.

The better focus here may be toning problem areas and finding how to maintain on a reasonable amount of calories. If this were me, I'd be at my doctor's office ASAP finding out the medical reason my metabolism is so low. There is quite possibly something off in your body that could be fixed with medication. Anything less than getting checked out fully by a medical professional is a guessing game that is not very likely to work in your favor.
dragonlady1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:34 PM   #56  
Embracing the suck

I'm confused at this point. Somehow I missed that you have been normally utilizing diuretics and not drinking a lot to keep your water weight artificially low. This shrinks your belly which is where you hold a lot of your fat.

Is this accurate?
Old 04-06-2011, 05:47 PM   #57  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
I'm confused at this point. Somehow I missed that you have been normally utilizing diuretics and not drinking a lot to keep your water weight artificially low. This shrinks your belly which is where you hold a lot of your fat.

Is this accurate?
That is exactly accurate. I did mention it but didn't go into large detail. So now I am in a bad state because no matter what I do I gain weight and even though it is likely a lot of water because I was massively dehydrated, it looks horrible. And yes, it has mostly gone to my stomach.

I already know it was bad. Again, I have OCD and unhealthily obsess over things I should not, such as how much water weighs. Again, no one needs to tell me that was bad. I already know.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:06 PM   #58  

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonlady1978 View Post
I'm not familiar with the programs y'all are discussing so I hope I'm not offending anyone by butting in here....but are you saying that your highest intake was 1400 a day? That is still a dieting phase because it creates a deficit of atleast 200 from what is the normal BMR for your body-MUCH more if you are active at all.

I think your goal is a little unreasonable for your height. There's no way you're going to get there without resorting to unhealthy means. You have already lost so much and have already achieved a healthy weight after being very obese. You should be proud-not beating yourself up every day.

When I was 18 years old I went from over 200 pounds to 118. I had youth on my side and hadn't had children-and I still had the stomach pooch. What happens if you manage to get down that low and the pooch is still there? You have lost such a large amount of weight that even when there is no fat left to lose in an area of your body there will still be some excess skin. Fortunately our flaws are always more noticeable to us than they are to everyone else.

The better focus here may be toning problem areas and finding how to maintain on a reasonable amount of calories. If this were me, I'd be at my doctor's office ASAP finding out the medical reason my metabolism is so low. There is quite possibly something off in your body that could be fixed with medication. Anything less than getting checked out fully by a medical professional is a guessing game that is not very likely to work in your favor.
The reason why it went to 1200-1400 with attempts at 1950 (what my BMR SHOULD be but isn't because of metabolic damage from my eating disorders) is because 1.) you can't increase calories from 350-750ish a day to that even without the body freaking out and getting confused, which it already has even with that amount. My BMR is NOT normal. If you were me, 5'10 21 female, yes, 1400 or so would be a dieting phase and you would lose weight. But my BMR has been reduced heavily because of the damage I have done and if I eat over 1000 caloried, I gain weight. So, no, 1400 caloried is NOT a dieting phase for me. It is actually a lot of work for me to reach. I was sick after reaching the 1950.

My goals were uneasonable for my height and I did get where I am by unhealthy means- that is why I ended up in the hospital. I am aware I should be proud but I can't do that. It isn't the person I am. I am obsessive compulsive and I can't help constantly thinking about it and weighing myself and everything, including water. that's why my scales weer taken. Even though I don't want to weigh myself because I know it makes me unwell, if I see a scale, I will weigh myself. It's just the way that I am.

To your question on what will happen if the pouch is still there, well, THIS is what happens. I got to my goal weight (167) and passed it and I still had a horrible pouch. not even just a little one. I freaked out. I was already doing this to myself, with at least an end in sight where I could go back to eating at a healthy amount for maintenance without any damaging pills anymore with the ability to drink water again without worry about a few lbs of water weight... when I got here and was still fat...with No end in sight anymore. As bad as I was before, I got worse.

I was looking at how to try and tone my body and no one had really any answer for me because I was already damaged. That is what I ultimatley want to do. I am supposed to take a break from exercise right now though to get myself back in balance a bit.

I KNOW why my metabolism is low. I killed it. I don't need to take more pills. That's how I got here. And I already went to the hospital. I don't need a doctor- I don't particularily like them. I don't need a doctor to give me some pills for a metabolic issue that isn't herediatry and is just self-inflicted. I just need to know how long it will take before I stop balooning again and stabilize so I can re-work off this weight the proper way with a health metabolism again.

Last thing, I don't get offened, so no worries. :P Weight is just a complicated subject, as is the human mind.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:52 PM   #59  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I can't really provide you with any advice with regards to your eating. I just wanted to give you some s.

I really get how much you want to shrink your stomach and thighs, since they are disproportionate to the rest of your body....but I've always heard that you cannot spot reduce, right? What I mean is that agonizing over your stomach isn't worth having a stroke or a heart attack over. It sounds like you're willing to go healthy, but you just don't know how. I would urge you to consult a very good nutritionist that specializes in disordered eating (I have an eating disorder as well).

It sounds like many of the people here know a lot but I would think that a professional can evaluate the situation better. No offense, fellow members.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 01:36 AM   #60  
Embracing the suck

Quote:
That is exactly accurate. I did mention it but didn't go into large detail. So now I am in a bad state because no matter what I do I gain weight and even though it is likely a lot of water because I was massively dehydrated, it looks horrible. And yes, it has mostly gone to my stomach.

I already know it was bad. Again, I have OCD and unhealthily obsess over things I should not, such as how much water weighs. Again, no one needs to tell me that was bad. I already know.
Well as to how exactly it's bad for your health I'm no expert but as you already know it's not good. I suspect this is one of the big challenges you're facing regarding overall fat loss.

I can relate somewhat. As a guy I hold my weight in my gut and it's about the same size now as it was 30 lbs ago when I was doing a low calorie low carb diet. My stomach looked pretty good. I was pleased. That diet was not sustainable and when I started eating carbs again it balooned up. Depressing.

Yet I realized that I just needed to lose more weight.

If you're going to accomplish your goal you need to realize the same thing. Your stomach will eventually shrink. As much as you hate it you need to drink a lot of water and stop with the diruetics because no doubt that is hindering your efforts. I'm extrmely impatient but I know patience is the only way I will someday hit my goal of having abs.

Put the money you would spend on diuertics and start a lipo fund.

I still say you're primed for fat loss. I'd suggest 1200 calories a day, keep carbs around 50g per day, and drink a lot of water.