Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-25-2011, 05:18 PM   #16  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Leigh Peele is against weight lifting? I find this difficult to believe unless you are referring to her suggesting taking a couple weeks off from any training while you reset your hormones.

Got a link?
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 05:26 PM   #17  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

she is most definitely NOT against weight training

have you checked out her site? under "archives" at the top are tons of posts

www.leighpeele.com

leigh peele saved my life
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 05:37 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 285/165/135

Height: 5'10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkroyer View Post
oh i agree strength training is so key! i was merely referring to the negative effects that superset style strength training, or metabolic strength training coud have on an already damaged and taxed metabolism
Oh ok. It just said it isn't a good method to remove fat and that confused me. :P
Lynn89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 05:41 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 153/135.5/120

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn89 View Post
Oh ok. It just said it isn't a good method to remove fat and that confused me. :P
I could be wrong, but my understanding was that the point of strength training is to increase your basal metabolic rate. Muscle burns more than fat, so more muscle = more calories burned at rest. Also muscle gives you definition that can help make you look firmer. It's not meant to be a short-term fix, especially not for women. It's meant to be a long term thing: increase your muscle mass and have a body that needs more energy so it's easier to keep the weight off.
maydaymayday911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 05:54 PM   #20  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

strength training serves one more purpose as well--- during fat loss (caloric deficits) it serves to preserve muscle mass
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 05:56 PM   #21  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn89 View Post
I know it's water weight, but i can still see it.
No matter what you do, you may never get the metabolism you want, especially in regard to preventing water weight gain and other normal but temporary fluctuations.

I have found absolutely no method to prevent my gaining 6-12 lbs of water weight during TOM. I even tried virtually no-carb dieting "that week" and I still gained 3 lbs.
It really is important to see the big picture, not just the number on the scale. Heck, if you want to see a specific number, you could just use a chain saw to cut off what you wanted. You might even see "the number" before bleeding to death.

I'm exagerating for effect, but the premise is sound. The big picture is more important than any number. Finding the fastest weight loss, or the weight loss with the fewest and smallest fluctuation-gains is not finding the best weight loss.

The best weight loss is finding the nutritional balance that gives you the best quality of life while losing the weight. Preventing water weight gain may never be possible. Seeing steady, significant losses without stalls and gains may never be possible. Expecting the impossible is a great way to get frustrated enough to give up.

You have to understand that steady, consistent weight loss is not normal. If you want proof of that, consider joining a TOPS (taking off pounds sensibly) group. Most TOPS groups announce the gains and losses of the memebers. Usually members share whether they've lost, gained, or stayed the same from the week before. Many involve constests that reward steady losses (and there's often few winners).

The group I belong to, has one of the best weight loss records in the organization (our chapter won a recognition award for the most consistent weight loss). We have a contest every month called the Apple Tree Contest. To stay on the apple tree you have to attend every meeting (most people do) and to have no gains during the month (most people don't). At the end of the month everyone who has had no gains and no missed meetings, split $10. It's an amazing month if more than two people split the prize (out of 30 members).

"Normal" weight loss isn't 2 lbs per week, every single week. A normal weight loss is much smaller (again join TOPS to see this. They announce every week how many gains and how many losses. When you divide the club's weight loss for the week by the number of losses, the average loss falls around 1/4 to 1/2 lbs per week. The biggest loser may have lost 6 or 7, but the average is less than 1/2 a pound.

"That's so discouraging" people will say - but it's only discouraging if your expectations don't match your reality. You have to deal with what you have to deal with - whether that's a slow metabolism or a fluctuation one.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 06:20 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 217/seeticker/130

Height: 5'5"

when you eat a lot of carbs your body turns the extra it cant store as glucose into fat, stores it, and you gain weight. And from what I learned in school even if you are counting cals you still need to watch your carb intake and dont go over the daily limit for the amount of cals your eating. It can be really easy to do if you eat a lot of bread and stuff.
Brooklynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 06:23 PM   #23  

Oh yeah and btw if you are 5'10 and 165 that is a healthy weight. So until you can get your metabolism back in order I wouldn't stress to much about it but that is just my opinion.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:02 PM   #24  
Embracing the suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynn View Post
when you eat a lot of carbs your body turns the extra it cant store as glucose into fat, stores it, and you gain weight. And from what I learned in school even if you are counting cals you still need to watch your carb intake and dont go over the daily limit for the amount of cals your eating. It can be really easy to do if you eat a lot of bread and stuff.
In humans, carbs are almost never turned into fat and when they are the amount is insignifigant. In other animals carbs are commonly stored as fat. Not in humans.

Here is a study where participants were massively overfed carbs. You can read the whole thing but here is the important conclusion.

"Quantitatively, however, absolute amounts of fat synthesized from carbohydrate did not represent a significant contribution to overall fat stores after 96 h of excess carbohydrate intake."

We get fat from dietary fat when we eat more calories than we utilize. Fat is directly absorbed.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:10 PM   #25  
Embracing the suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by maydaymayday911 View Post
I could be wrong, but my understanding was that the point of strength training is to increase your basal metabolic rate. Muscle burns more than fat, so more muscle = more calories burned at rest. Also muscle gives you definition that can help make you look firmer. It's not meant to be a short-term fix, especially not for women. It's meant to be a long term thing: increase your muscle mass and have a body that needs more energy so it's easier to keep the weight off.
This sounds like something an under educated trainer would tell their clients.

While it is true that adding muscle will increase ones BMR it does not increase it by much. Adding 10 lbs of muscle (not easy for a woman!) will burn about an extra sixty calories a day. Myths of a lb of muscle burning 50 calories are just that ... myths.

As mentioned by MK you lift weights to retain LBM when lifting.

It can also is very helpful to help oxidize fat in obese people.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:14 PM   #26  
Embracing the suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkroyer View Post
she is most definitely NOT against weight training

have you checked out her site? under "archives" at the top are tons of posts

www.leighpeele.com

leigh peele saved my life
Yeah I know that's why I don't understand that post but maybe I just need to go read it again.

I'm a fan of Leigh and purchased several of her Ebooks. Leigh was the first person to inform me that NROL had a bunk dietary section specifically their claims that I would lose weight by doing the "Fat Loss" routines and engaging the power of EPOC. That is when I first learned about calories mattering. Until then I was a clueless fat person trying to "eat clean".
Old 03-25-2011, 07:26 PM   #27  

John here is the thing that I have learned in nursing school..... When you eat more carbs then your body can store because we are only able to store a little bit as glucose instead of turning it into glucose it turns it into fat because the body can store a endless amount of fat and then stores it. I have been eating very little carbs in the past few days doing atkins this is only day 4 so I am not going to claim to be a pro BUT how is it that I eat double the ammount of fat I am supposed to with very little exercise but less then 20 carbs and I loose 5lbs? Im really not trying to be a smarta** I am just really curious that if people think fat is the problem how do people loose so much weight eating low carb?
To be honest I was a little leary of doing atkins but after trying almost every other diet known to man I thought hey why not. I have never lost this much weight in 4 days watching my cals fat or what have you. However all my "diets" consist of the same thing. Lots of water and as much exercise as I can tolerate at the time. The only thing different is what I am eating.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:29 PM   #28  

and I am sorry if you thought I was saying that we store carbs. I meant that the carbs we eat are turned into glucose and glycogen but if we cant store that our bodies turn it in to fat. I hope that clears up what I was trying to say
Old 03-25-2011, 10:30 PM   #29  
Embracing the suck

On a low carb diet you reduce weight quickly because your glycogen levels drop and you dump a lot of water.

Unfortunately, after this initial drop, your weight loss will depend on calories.

Have you lost fat? Yes. Most of your loss at this point is water and less digesting food in your bowels.

When you start eating carbs again you will quickly regain a lot of water which is not fat but it moves the scale up. This is why you should depend on pictures and measurements and not the short term fluxuations of the scale.

Low carb is a great way to lose weight but it isn't magical and carbs are not the devil.

(The devil is too many calories ... regardless of macronutrient you will gain weight if you eat too many calories)
Old 03-25-2011, 10:38 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 285/165/135

Height: 5'10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynn View Post
I never eat carbs. Unless you count vegetables..which I assume you are not. I pretty much eat veggies and fruit and sometimes source yogurt and maybe fiber 1 cereal. (like, half a cup.):P
Lynn89 is offline   Reply With Quote