Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-01-2011, 10:57 PM   #31  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
As always. We need to get her on Oprah before the show goes off the air! Inject some common sense into the usual rediculous crap they have on that show.
It would never happen, not even if I had a best-selling weight loss biography in my hands today.

Not that I think I'm a bastion of common sense. I try very hard to be rational in my beliefs, but there's plenty of ridiculous thoughts running around my head too (I just usually have the good sense not to admit them often).

But common sense is anathema to edutainment television. The information seems important to the show, but it really isn't. You'll never find a well balanced approach on any of the talk shows, because common sense and balance are considered big time snooze-fests, and common sense is often edited out.

There was a positng here recently, linking to a blog article by Gary Taubes describing the editing that was done during his recent appearance on the Dr. Oz show to make the show more controversial (and therefore more entertaining).

Apparently and unfortunately, "You have a good point, but I disagree on some points," is considered a lot less entertaining than "You've got it all wrong and your crackpot theories are dangerous."

I've seen Dr. Oz support (or at least refrain from criticizing) crazier theories, so it does sound like reason was sacrificed in the name of debate.

Too bad.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 06:49 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 217/seeticker/130

Height: 5'5"

I certainly cant say that I am a naturally thin person obviously, but my doctor has said this ( you have a metabolism that will burn what you eat at what ever weight you are) this was in responce to my question "I dont understand why I dont gain weight and the reason I am big came from three kids and not losing but I cant seem to loose it now. I am burning what I give my body but no more so I dont lose I just stay at the same place. Basicly he was saying that no matter my weight my metabolism seems to burn enough that I dont gain. I dont know how true this is but before I had kids I ate things that were insaily fatty or full of carbs. The only difference in the food is it matched my size. My husband and I were talking about it and he told me "honestly honey when we first met you would eat one taco or a small peice of steak and potatoes or whatever now you eat 3 tacos and a huge peice of meat" This came from me asking if I eat more now then I did when I was small because I didnt think the types of food changed. Like I said I cant say I am naturally skinny because well I am fat, but I think this could have something to do with why skinny people dont get fat with out something happening like pregnancy or just dont get fat period. but honestly I dont know how true what my doctor said is its just something that I remember him saying.
Brooklynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 06:54 AM   #33  

S/C/G: 217/seeticker/130

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeypnd View Post
the thing i did find interesting about this doc. is when the showed the children, asked if they were all full, and majority said yes. then they handed then a plate of treats and the ones that were full still ate, just because it was there while others didn't because they just weren't full.

they stated that even at an early age people will continue to eat even though they are full just because the food looks nice.
i think this is interesting, that something like this is shown even at such a young age.

yet my brother is like this, but he is super active, so he's nice and healthy looking.
I just like how the body works!
I think your last sentence is the key "healthy looking" even if your skinny you cant pump your body full of crap day in and day out and not expect to have some health issues. Skinny doesnt equal healthy and fat doesnt equal unhealthy but I think thats where a lot of people have issues because they assume that if your fat your unhealthy and if your skinny your not. We are doing good things for our bodies and even if we are fat doesnt mean we are not helping our bodies be healthy!

Last edited by Brooklynn; 04-02-2011 at 06:55 AM.
Brooklynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 11:20 AM   #34  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynn View Post
I dont know how true what my doctor said is its just something that I remember him saying.
There is no way he could have accurately made this statement without performing the necessary tests which I am certain he didn't do.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 11:25 AM   #35  
Embracing the suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
I know that is your perception on the episode which I didn't see but a vegan diet is very sustainable and can be very 'green' which is why I imagine the two were coupled on a single episode.
You have missed my point. The point is that they were basterdizing meat but the real culprit was that Alycia Silverstone had a very crappy diet before. A change to any healthy diet with greens and vegtables while cutting out the donuts and other crap would have had the same result.

As for a vegan diet I would love to see how long a vegan could live a healthy life without supplementing vitamin B. It is not very sustainable, at all, without supplementation and therefore not a diet we as humans are designed to live on.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:28 AM   #36  
Embracing the suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
But common sense is anathema to edutainment television. The information seems important to the show, but it really isn't. You'll never find a well balanced approach on any of the talk shows, because common sense and balance are considered big time snooze-fests, and common sense is often edited out.

There was a positng here recently, linking to a blog article by Gary Taubes describing the editing that was done during his recent appearance on the Dr. Oz show to make the show more controversial (and therefore more entertaining).
Good points I don't know why I keep forgetting TV producers only care about one thing.

Regarding Taubes vs Oz I was expecting Oz to ask Taubes some tough questions but instead Oz just came off looking like he had no clue.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:52 PM   #37  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
You have missed my point. The point is that they were basterdizing meat but the real culprit was that Alycia Silverstone had a very crappy diet before. A change to any healthy diet with greens and vegtables while cutting out the donuts and other crap would have had the same result.

As for a vegan diet I would love to see how long a vegan could live a healthy life without supplementing vitamin B. It is not very sustainable, at all, without supplementation and therefore not a diet we as humans are designed to live on.
Well the official answer is somewhere around 3 years as our body stores vitamin b12. Unofficially, I think everyone should supplement, regardless of their diet. There are some long term, multigenerational vegans that are involved in organic farming that don't supplement b12 because it comes from the soil. Our super washed veggies in the store generally lack b12. Organic veggies that are rinsed but not washed vigorously will have some b12 but I don't trust that as a sole source.

And really when I said sustainable, I was talking about in terms of environmentalism, which obviously a high plant diet is environmentally friendly.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:24 AM   #38  
Embracing the suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
And really when I said sustainable, I was talking about in terms of environmentalism, which obviously a high plant diet is environmentally friendly.
Gotcha. I have a bit of a knee jerk reaction to vegans because I love to eat meat.