Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-10-2011, 02:08 PM   #1  

Height: 5'6''

Default I feel a woosh coming on!

Hey everybody!
You may remember me from last week, disappointed...because the scale was being evil and not moving. (Thank you all for the encouragement to keep me going.) I've been working very hard at the gym and in the kitchen with not much of a result after 4 weeks. Lost a pound, gained a pound, lost 2, gained 1. Blah. Well, I went to Vegas last weekend for 3 days and didn't limit myself at all. Ate and drank the whole time. Literally. (I made some good choices though...we ate at a few different buffets so I was able to get fish and fruit and veggies, etc..) Anyway. I've been back one day and stepped on the scale and I'm down to 220! I was 222 when I went to Vegas. It's also TOM for me and I know I am up a couple lbs of water weight.
I have to ask...have any of you ever felt like a woosh is coming? I just feel different today. I can't wait to go pound it out at the gym for a couple days then get back on the scale after TOM. I really think the scale is going to FINALLY start moving for me! What do you all think?
lucyford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:15 PM   #2  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

For me, I know because I pee a lot without any extra intake of water. If I'm in the bathroom every hour, I always have a whoosh the next day.

So yes, I definitely know when to expect a whoosh!

It sounds like you may do well to have carefully planned higher calorie days. Call them higher calorie days, re-feeds, cheat days...whatever. But it sounds like that may work for you as long as you can come back to plan with ease. I couldn't have at the beginning. I needed to be really strict. A day of eating and drinking whatever I wanted, especially away from home, would have been disastrous for me because I wouldn't have been able to come back to plan with ease. It would have brought on cravings I'd have had to fight.

But...if you did well...again, that may work for you.

Last edited by Eliana; 02-10-2011 at 02:15 PM.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:59 PM   #3  

S/C/G: HW193/See Ticker/128

Height: 5'5"

I agree with Eliana, you might benefit from purposely doing this twice a week. Some people put theirs back to back, I tend to do a high, then moderate and then one more high. So rest of the days are back to moderate and low cal. I would just take this as part of your "data" that you are gathering to see what works and what doesn't and put it to use for a few weeks and see how it goes.

This happened to me on vacation once; I went through about 2 weeks where I seemed stuck. so while away, although I was kind of watching my intake, there were times when I had not a clue how many calories was in what I was eating. I came back and 4 lbs disappeared after 2 days back on plan.

It still happens to me now, just not on such a large scale loss. It's like I freak out with frustration, come here, dump my feelings and feel crazy because 2 days later I am back here shouting to the rooftop that I lost, lol. Kinda like when TOM doesn't come as expected and spend a lot of energy worrying over it, go buy a test and 2 days later, there it is!
Niecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 03:27 PM   #4  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

There is also a very good possibility that you experianced a "whoosh" when you were away from the scale, and it WAS a lot more than 2 pounds. It is very possible that you ate back lost weight, in a 3 day:
Quote:
"Well, I went to Vegas last weekend for 3 days and didn't limit myself at all. Ate and drank the whole time. Literally."
Just though I'd throw that out there so if this did happen, you're not too disappointed.

Last edited by Lori Bell; 02-10-2011 at 03:30 PM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:42 PM   #5  

Height: 5'6''

Hey guys, thanks for the responses! It's really great to get the feedback here. I guess I might benefit from a couple of "cheat" meals. The room I was staying in actually had a scale and I weighed myself often throughout the couple days. When I arrived it was 222, the highest it got was 226 on Monday right before leaving and this morning was a wonderful and happy 220. (Never thought I'd be happy to see 220...) The nice thing about Vegas is that you have to WALK everywhere so I think that was helpful too. I'm definitely going to pay better attention to the patterns of all of this...thinking of maybe starting a journal. I'm in the middle of my fourth week and this couldn't have come at a better time. I don't have medical insurance and I was getting really close to paying the $200+ for a medical exam to see what the heck was going on. I guess my body just needed A LOT of time to get used to what I have started doing to it.
Sorry if I'm rambling. I just am so excited to finally see an actual loss after all my hard work.
lucyford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:45 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 190/167/140

Height: 5'2"

What is a "whoosh?"
MonicaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:27 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 254/181/165

Height: 5'7.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonicaM View Post
What is a "whoosh?"
when you drop a couple pounds suddenly all at once after stalling out for awhile.
niafabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:14 PM   #8  

S/C/G: HW193/See Ticker/128

Height: 5'5"

Journaling helps me tremendously. When I get anxious, I go back and look at the patterns and realize, just like EVERYONE here says, weight loss is not linear at all. I've pretty much been able to predict my lowest weight for the week, which is every Friday for right now.

Just in case you would like a chart/graph visual of your loss, fridgegraph.com is very good. I do all of my calories on paper but use this site to track the loss (and sometimes gain ) every morning.
Niecy is offline   Reply With Quote