Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-03-2011, 05:44 PM   #16  
Why can't you?

S/C/G: 334/290.8/167

Height: 5'2"

I watched the first season of Biggest Loser, but I lost interest after that. You're fat, you exercise and severely reduce calories...you have a snotty tear fest filled pity party breakdown....you might get to see your family...and then you see who lost the highest percentage.

I have better things to do...like post on the internet.
AZ Sunrises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:16 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 164/see ticker/125

Height: 5 feet even

Biggest Loser gets on my nerves. I want to like it, but all the emotional crap gets on my nerves.

I know it's an emotional journey, but you can tell the producers are basically staging all of these interviews and it's just the same thing over and over again.

And they show the SAME interview clips over and over. Literally every episode has the same sob clips from the first episode.

I haven't seen the other shows ya'll have mentioned. I'm gonna try them out.
Katydid77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:46 PM   #18  
lucysam77

S/C/G: 200/176/140

Height: 5"4"

Well, I don't expect the weight loss that happens on the Biggest Loser. I believe losing 2 pounds a week is good and healthy but i really love this shows because it motivates me
lucysam77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:53 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 240/235/150

Height: 5'8"

I love watching these shows, it's motivating to think that if they can do it, so can I. Maybe not at the pace they do, as I have a job and a life, but I can do something. It also motivates me to work out. It's impossible for me to watch a show about someone working out and not get up and do something. Usually followed by when the show is done, heading to the gym.

On a side note, I cannot wait until it is nice outside!!! I am so anxious to go hiking, walk more outside and start the couch to 5K program. Just wanted to put that out there.
luckymeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:10 PM   #20  

I love to watch the people lose the weight. I am so happy for them.
I also like to watch Youtube weight loss videos.
Ruby Gettinger inspires me the most.

Every little bit helps keep me on track.
It's a lot of work and commitment to lose weight, no matter how you do it.
JOLINA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:13 PM   #21  
J.la

Height: 5'0''

I watched I Used to Be Fat last night and the girl was only 10 lbs more than me! and she was much taller not sure exactly how much. So that just made me think I really am Fat! Maybe I was in denial before lol!
j0lamo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:41 PM   #22  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

I'm just happy, I'm not the only weight loss show junkie!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:16 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 225/175/140

Height: 5'6

Me too! I watch the Canadian ones like x weighted and the last 10 pounds! Great shows with great Ideas!
luciddepths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:50 PM   #24  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
I am not a fan of The Biggest Loser at all because it is extremely unrealistic as to what the average person can accomplish which sets them up for failure.
I won't argue with you that the "reality TV" is actually not reality at all, but that's an issue on its own. I am just reacting to your statement that I copied above. I don't really find that TBL bullsh*ts (pardon my French) people about what the average person can accomplish. The contestants, after all, are just average people, too. Yes, we hear statements (directed to the TV audience) that "you can lose weight", "you can change your life around", etc. but I find no problem with those. I don't hear said (still talking about TBL) anywhere that "you can lose X pounds in a week".
It is a generally known fact that a "week" on the show does not correspond to a week in real life. The "week" on the show covers a longer period of life.
And if somebody believes that he or she can lose the same amount of weight as the contestants - who are extracted from their family environment, live and breathe exercise and diet, and work out HARD six (or some such) hours every single day under the supervision of trainers and medical staff - well then, to me, that's not a problem on the part of the show; that's a problem with the IQ of the viewer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0vingon View Post
I like the weight loss shows too. X-weighted is my favourite but I dislike Paul Plakas and his bad attitude. If I were on that show I would probably smack him- not that he's not right, he's just so self-righteous!
I don't mind Paul at all. I guess I had to get used to him (at the beginning) but I don't find him self-righteous. I think he has a very straightforwad attitude and tells it like it is. I think the participants need to hear the truth without any sugar coating.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:29 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

The X-weighted family episodes are great. Yes, it focuses around the overweight child, but it really pushes the parents and siblings onto the same regime - that it should never target the child but that the entire family is responsible, particularly the parents. It is also based on health reasons, never aesthetic, and there is a realistic doctor guiding the child throughout. The overall "goal" is an athletic feat - which the whole family must partake in.

I also enjoy Heavy, an intimate portrayal, very encouraging. TBL is so ridiculously dramatic and quite fake, especially with all the horrible drastic things those people do behind the camera. I've been into bodybuilding for a few years now and even bodybuilders are nowhere near as drastic in their dieting/workouts as TBL is. Ridiculous. And you see over and over people who come to 3FC and are angry at themselves because they cannot replicate those results, when they are doing nothing wrong.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote