Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-26-2011, 10:59 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 217/205/145

Height: short

Unhappy p!ssed off and on the verge of a binge...

Someone save me from myself! I weighed in at TOPS tonight and had a 1/2 lb gain. May not sound like much; but I have been busting my butt..I am working out 3x a week. I have hired a personal trainer and joined a gym. I log everything I eat.

Looking at my log, I am trying to eat about 1400 calories a day. (I weigh 205.5 my basal metalbolic rate is 2075) I did notice that some days I only eat about 975 calories. Could this be part of the issue?

I lift weights 2x a week and walk an hour on the treadmill 3x a week. I have been doing this for 3 weeks and have only lost 2.5 lbs. I keep thinking next week it will be better.

I am so pizzed off that I want to give up and EAT everything in sight!

Any feed back or insights?

Robin aka cocoaloco
cocoaloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:05 PM   #2  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

8 oz? That's a cup of water. Don't sweat it this much for so little, esp when it could disappear by tomorrow. Or it could have been your clothes. Or the workouts causing a muscles to retain water temporarily.

If it's still there at next check in, worry about it then. Just stick to your program and don't let this little bump derail you.

You can do it!

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 01-26-2011 at 11:06 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:12 PM   #3  

S/C/G: CW: 155 GW: 130

Height: 5'2"

I was gonna say it could be the fact that you might not be drinking enough. If you're dehydrated, you'll retain water. There are a thousand other things it could be as well. Our bodies will have fluctuations. It could be you just weighed in on a day/hour where your weight was up.
Heck, my last weigh in said I gained 3.5lbs over the course of a week. I knew I had been off plan a little, but SHEESH!! Turns out, it was mostly water weight, and after being on plan just for one day, and making sure I drank a LOT of water, I had over a 2lb loss overnight.

Don't fret over 8oz. It's really not that much! Just keep going. You're going to have little blips here and there. We all do!
Pint Sized Terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:08 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 242/175/130

Height: 5'2"

Wink

I noticed you lift weights, could it be possible that you're building muscle? Sometimes you need to ignore the scales and notice if your clothes are fitting better or maybe things that used to jiggle don't do so as much I know it's hard, I used to weigh myself at least twice a day but then if I showed a little weight gain my entire day would be ruined. Give yourself a break and don't give up. Good Luck from one Robin to another
Ravi7284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:20 AM   #5  

S/C/G: HW193/See Ticker/128

Height: 5'5"

I ALWAYS notice a gain if I have done heavy resistance or lifting the day before. At least a pound, sometimes more.
Niecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:32 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 234.5/ticker/130

Height: 5'4

Well, the last two days I've had gains of 0.8, but I'm sore so I think it might be muscle. (Exercising 5 days a week) Yes, it's frustrating but binging will not help us reach our goals. I know you aren't supposed to eat less than 1200 calories a day or you may send your body into starvation mode.
CurryMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:21 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 280/274/199

My ah-ha moment came from this board, and it is making all the difference this time around (Normally I would have given up by now), here it is:

If you ARE logging every bite and not sneaking in extra calories, if you ARE working out and giving your body movement, if you ARE OP then the fluctuation you are seeing is weight, not fat. Repeat: Weight, not fat. Weight from holding water due to dehydration or exercise, a missed BM, your lunch - whatever. Stick with it, keep OP, keep fighting the good fight and it WILL move down.

I would also say that dipping in the 900s for calorie range may be holding you back.

Obviously I'm not a pro, but I'm there with you - and like I said normally I would have given up by now (almost 4 weeks) - but those words have really helped me stick in there when I see those little swing ups before the scale goes down again.

Great job!!

Last edited by BigBlueStar; 01-27-2011 at 01:23 AM.
BigBlueStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:39 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 217/205/145

Height: short

Smile Thanks

Thanks for all of your words of wisdom. I will keep at it and hope for the best next week. I'll let you all know how it goes!

Robin aka cocoaloco
cocoaloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:45 AM   #9  
STREET DOG

S/C/G: 231/230/145

Height: 5'8"

Until just a few weeks ago I would freak out at every change on the scale. If it was up .2kg, I'd freak out. If it was down .2kg I'd go have a snack to congratulate myself. Turns out in my case that I really just didn't understand weight loss, or at least didn't comprehend that my calorie deficit would turn into weight loss over time. Fortunately, a lot of the comments around here have helped me start changing my way of thinking.

Good job for stay on the wagon and best of luck!
Kahokkuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:13 AM   #10  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Calm down.

Weight loss is not linear. While our brain cells get the mathematical formula, fat cells do not. Some times it takes your body a few extra days or weeks to catch up.

You need to commit for a long period of time and study the trends of your weight loss, and don't worry about little weekly blips.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:51 AM   #11  
Keepin' on...

S/C/G: 350/208/150

Height: 5'4"

I am a firm believer (and experiencer) of whooshes. I only weigh weekly, as it's all I can mentally handle. That may change at some point, and I'm still wonky with the weekly. At first I was weighing monthy and always had a decent loss when I got on the scale, but I'm trying to move to a closer look at things as I get down.

Anyway, last week I lost 4 lbs. SWEET, wooowoo, got this so figured out, I rock! Well today was my weigh-in, didn't do anything really different over the week, and I lost 0.2 lbs this week. Since I only count whole pounds, that is nothing. GRRRR, it puts me into "OMG, what can I cut, how can I work harder? Nonsense!" If I keep at it, I guarantee within the next few weeks I will see another biggish loss. I still have a VERY hard time accepting this, and I will say that my mood is NOT what it was after last week's weigh-in. But this is a learning process and I KNOW this is how it works. Really working right now on separating my emotions from the whole thing, and just accepting that I am living a healthy lifestyle and the pounds will take care of themselves.
shannonmb is offline   Reply With Quote