Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-25-2011, 05:29 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 180/168/125

Height: 5'1

Question Weighing yourself!

I'm not exactly sure when it's the best time of day to weigh yourself. Mornings? Nights?

I would also like to ask if its better to weigh yourself everyday, or every week? It sucks looking at the scale and seeing no change from day to day, but it's not like anyone can expect the pounds to literally melt off.

Would it be a good ego boost and help to just do it once a week, so you can actually see results?

xXLosingItXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:40 PM   #2  
300+ Chick

I used to weigh daily, but now am weighing in every 3rd day..Hopefully slowly will be a weekly weigh in regimen. Good luck with your efforts!
Liliann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:43 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 163/142/130

For me in the morning but I rely more on body measurements they give me a better, the scale gives me a general idea but measurement dont lie.
Michou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:47 PM   #4  

Alright, thanks Lilian. It made more sense to me weighing out every few days rather than every day. I get anxious and disappointed that way.

And thanks Michou I plan on doing measurements soon, since I know weight isn't one hundred percent reliable anyways, because of muscle weight, water, etc.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:47 PM   #5  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

Height: 5'6"

I weigh in the morning, right after I work out. I'm measuring every Monday right after that.

You'll eventually get an intuitive feel if the scale will be up or down. If I don't wake up hungry - or get hungry working out - my scale is going to be the same or up. I'm a daily weigher for accountability, but some days when I'm feeling blue and KNOW I'll be the same or up, I'll skip it to avoid the ego hit. :P
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:49 PM   #6  
Shrinkinglady

S/C/G: 172/153/139

Height: 5'2"

I have heard weighing in the morning is best. However, for me I am strongly working on NOT weighing myself every day. I found that there are daily ups and downs due to sodium water retention, and hormonal changes. I am proud that I have stayed off the scale these past few days, and aiming for once weekly on Sunday. When i was weighing myself daily I got very discouraged and even overate one day-with an attitude like"Well here I am exercising and watching my food intake, trying to be healthy-and I gained 3 pounds". A few days later the weight was gone. Hope this helps.
Shrinkmfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:53 PM   #7  

Thanks Altari, makes a lot of sense and I was thinking the same. I'm glad you're keeping off too!

Shrinkmfs you hit the nail on the wall! Hehe, thanks, it really makes sense. I wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one thinking this way I'll try the one week weigh in for now, and lets hope this works out! Good luck

Old 01-25-2011, 06:32 PM   #8  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

I weigh in the morning about two hours after I wake up. In just my undies, dry hair. I drink coffee the moment I wake up, but don't eat breakfast so there's no food weight to throw my weigh in off.

I weigh daily, and for me that's very important, but it is NOT for everyone. As a daily weigher, I have gotten used to my daily fluctuations and what causes them. I know how my monthly cycle affects my weight. How exercise affects my weight. Or salty meals, or alcohol, or big meals, or light food days the day before, etc. I can generally predict what my weight will be in the morning. It gives me a context in which to interpret what the daily number means. If I'm suddenly up by 2lbs, I can look at my calendar and know that it's the week before my TOM and that 2lb gain does not bother me. OR, like this week, I recognized that I have gained a real few pounds after eating off plan. I'm still within my maintenance range, but seeing that number creep higher and stay higher was a red light to me that I needed to rein it in. Daily weighing keeps me accountable. I LIKE to see a good number in the morning. I know that if I eat a big cheat meal, the number will be high from water weight and passing food. Even if it's not "real" weight, it's still unpleasant to see. And that little bit of accountability has kept me on track many times before.

Weekly weigh in doesn't give the whole picture, in my opinion. I know from weighing daily that my weight can easily vary by 2lbs on a day to day basis, so weighing every 7 days and comparing the weights isn't a completely accurate comparison, in my opinion. But then again, some people don't need or care about the context. As long as the weekly trend is downward if losing or staying close to the same if maintaining, they're satisfied. And that works too. Some people would go nuts if they weighed themselves everyday. Seeing the daily fluctuations, wondering if their weight has changed in the last hour, etc etc. Going back to the accountability of daily weighing, when I was a weekly weigher, I'd eat really clean and light a few days before my weigh in to get a good number and then slack off for a few days after.

So all in all, I do suggest weighing in the morning after you wake up and go to the rest room. But the key is consistancy. Every morning around the same time in the same type of clothes or lack there of. Don't weigh yourself in the morning before breakfast and after breakfast the next morning, it will make a significant difference. Only you can figure out if daily or weekly or some other variation will work best for you. No way is right or wrong as long as you're not getting obsessive about it and so long as it's helping you reach your goal.
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:40 PM   #9  
Sherry

S/C/G: 205/187.2/150

Height: 5'2" (really 5'1 1/4" ( but I refuse to accept that - I don't care what the doctor says!)

For me weighing in the morning is the best.........we weigh less in the mornings than at night (& I need all the help I can get! LOL ) But I find that daily weighing isn't good for me as our weight fluctuates all the time so I do it once a week. Kudos to those that can weigh daily. Have a good one everyone..............Love this site!
Laffalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:24 PM   #10  
STREET DOG

S/C/G: 231/230/145

Height: 5'8"

Recently I've been weighing in at the gym because there's a system where I can get points for logging my blood pressure and weight each time I visit. I take this number with a grain of salt because I don't always go to the gym at the same time or under the same conditions.

Recently, I've also been weighing myself in the mornings after my shower, before I eat anything. The weight is more consistently within my expected range. Even not weighing every day, though, I've gotten better at feeling and predicting my weight. It's powerful to be able to anticipate what the scale will say; I find that I'm less disappointed to be up .5kg, for example, knowing that it's just water/food/whatever.
Kahokkuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:06 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 280/ticker/10

Height: 5'2

I used to weigh weekly, but now I weigh daily. I know when I see a low number on the scale that I'll see the number again soon.

The way I seem to lose weight is a 1-2 day whoosh, then up a pound the next day, and then it stays steady there for a few days, and then I get another whoosh to a new low number. If I didn't weigh daily then I might always see the high number and get discouraged.
Linsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:48 PM   #12  

Thanks everyone for your input! I'll definitely try both methods and find out what's best for me! I really appreciate your help guys
Old 01-25-2011, 08:50 PM   #13  
Here I go again

S/C/G: 201/see ticker/135

Height: 5'6

I have decided to weigh myself every 2 weeks. In the past i was a slave to the scale every morning. With much frustration my weight fluctuated constantly that it was too much to handle on a day to day basis that it made me discouraged because i was working out and seeing the results i wanted . Now at least I don't have to worry about torturing myself everyday.
BoopRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:55 PM   #14  
Jeri

S/C/G: 286/142.6/150/new goal 140

Height: 5-4

Assuming you keep a regular sleep schedule (not working graveyard or anything), your lowest weight is very likely to be first thing in the morning, before you eat or drink anything, and after your first trip to the bathroom for the day.

How often to weigh is a personal choice. I weigh every single day, and I have for over a year. It really keeps me on track, and I don't let myself get worked up over daily fluctuations. I keep a graph, so I can see a downward trend, but some days I will be up or stay the same. This really helps me keep tabs on what I'm doing, and it also lets me see how things like too much sodium, eating out, not drink enough water, changes in medications, changes in work out routines, my menstrual cycle, etc affect what I see on the scale.
eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:58 PM   #15  

Until now I didn't even know that My menstrual cycle could have an impact on my weight, so I've learned something new from you guys

I actually am quite the insomniac, although I don't eat past 10 pm, I usually stay up anywhere from 4 am to 6 am, only to wake at 8 in the morning. I'll try, for starters, checking my weight every other day in the mornings. Mostly because I myself get overly stressed with the fluctuations I will and have seen after every weigh in.