Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-19-2011, 09:59 PM   #1  
go 4 your dreams!!!

S/C/G: 297/ticker/160

Height: 5'5

Default Does weight watchers really work???

I am thinking of joining tomorrow but im not sure if it really works. I have about 70lbs to lose and i desperately need to lose it. Im doing this diet called the bead diet but its very hard and im thinking of switching to WW. I'm going to join a gym tomorrow and theres a WW meeting tomorrow at 10 a.m so I'm thinking of joining WW and then the gym.

So anyone have any tips or advice on Weight Watchers???

Thanks!
prettyinpink116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:21 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 285/180/160

Height: 5'9"

Yes, Weight Watchers works.
You have to commit to tracking your food, measuring your portions and eating better foods overall. Its not a quick fix or a "magic solution" but in the two weeks I've been back and 100% on plan, I've lost 9 lbs. I'm really happy with the Point+ program and think WW is a good route for those who are willing to stick with it.
duckyyellowfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:09 PM   #3  
It's about time

S/C/G: 300/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

I've known several people for whom it worked great. For me, it was too tempting to eat all my points in Taco Bell, chocolate and French bread It works if you eat healthily.
ParadiseFalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:29 PM   #4  
STREET DOG

S/C/G: 231/230/145

Height: 5'8"

WW works well if you're committed. Just like counting calories you have to keep strict track of your food and honestly enter it all in. If you use the online system you can also enter your activities.

I like WW because it measured in points rather than calories which worked for me psychologically. The only reason I quit is because I got to Japan and quite logging food for a while; WW was no longer worth it, then. If you have local, accessible meetings, that should make it even better. I would've loved to have had the support group along with the system.
Kahokkuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:21 AM   #5  
Knocking down walls.

S/C/G: 278/ticker/125

Height: 5'4"

Weight Watchers works if you follow the program and commit to making healthy changes in your habits. Like another poster said, it's not a quick fix.

I've joined a few times, and when I've been able to commit to it, it's worked really well for me. However, I've traveled a lot to some pretty out-of-the-way places in the past few years, which made finding meetings and/or reliable, free Internet access difficult, and have difficulty balancing more than a very few commitments at a time. That said, I really do think it's a good program, and it's definitely helped me develop better dietary habits and a good idea of what actually constitutes healthy eating that I've been able to use even when I've not been on one of their programs.

I don't know how many WW meetings there are in your area, but if there are multiple meetings run by different leaders, try to find a good one. Having a meeting leader who you like (or at least respect) can help you out a lot. And if the RL meetings don't work for you, think about doing the online option. I don't remember what it's called, but there's some option where you can get some of the online privileges AND the meetings for a monthly fee. They have their own official site forums, recipes, Points calculator, etc., which was pretty useful.
theox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:29 AM   #6  
Fat to Fab and Fit

S/C/G: 190/151.2/122

Height: 5'3"

My best friend just joined WW, and in two weeks she has lost 5 pounds.

She said, she is not eating all of her points; she says you get to eat a lot but all the food is GOOD food.

She did WW 15 years ago and lost 30 pounds.
Sum38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:03 AM   #7  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Height: 5'5"

I agree, Weight Watchers is like most other programs that encourage balanced eating and portion control - if you stick to the program, it works.

You will still need to be committed, to plan your meals and snacks so that you manage your hunger and don't get caught in situations where "have" to go off plan, and to weigh and measure what you eat so that you can count the points.

I was on Weight Watchers myself about 10 years ago and I thought it was a good program. I liked the meetings (to my surprise) and found the concept of food logging (which I hadn't done before) very useful.

But ultimately, whether it works or not depends upon what you put into it.
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:17 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

I love it. I joined the week after Thanksgiving and am down 9 pounds so far. I have found it very easy to stick to - eating smaller portions of the foods I love, and getting back to having veggies as the foundation of my meals.

I eat all but 5-9 of my Weekly Points, and have been losing at a rate of about 1.5 pounds a week (average, not every week). I go to meetings and use the e-tools so I can track on my phone.

But, like all things, it works if you work it.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:57 AM   #9  
go 4 your dreams!!!

S/C/G: 297/ticker/160

Height: 5'5

thanks so much everyone!!!!
prettyinpink116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:58 AM   #10  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Of course it works, if you do! I had a friend who needed to lose over 150 pounds, (more than half her weight) to get to a healthy weight. It took about 19 months. The great part of that is that by sticking to her "diet" for so long, she really learned to eat right, and maintenance has been a breeze, relatively speaking. 5 years later she is within 5 pounds of her maintenance weight. She has stuck to what she learned there, looks good and feels well. She is inspiration for me, when I feel like I am losing so slowly, I remember her and know that slower is more likely to be permanent!
Good luck
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:23 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 199/199/150

Height: 5'4"

Default Weight Watchers

Weight Watchers does work. I like weight watchers because you learn to eat healthy and its a life style you can live with.
starskyandmoon is offline   Reply With Quote