Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2002, 09:24 AM   #61  

Default Dr. Phil and " Willpower"

Yesterday I just happen to tune in on Dr Phil's show and it was about weight issues! Something he said was very important for everyone to hear!
There was a lady that went on the show with her husband. She had gained 50 lbs since they got married and had kids. She had lost the weight before and just gained it back. He asked her why she wanted to lose the weight and she said " I want to be healthy" He asked her if she was really having health issues due to her weight. She was'nt huge but weighed around 175? I guessed. Then she said "I want to look like when I got married. Dr Phil asked her husband if he wanted her thinner the way she was and the husband hesitated but said he would like that . Dr. Phil then told her " You havent lost weight because you really dont want to and there are no consequences if you dont lose weight" She said but I do want to lose weight, I just dont have the willpower I guess. He told her "willpower" is not a long term thing. It's not permanent. He said " what would happen if you dont lose the weight? Will something be taken away from you?Would TV or a car be taken away? In other words If she did lose or stayed the same there would be no consequences inher life. She was healthy just uncomfortable with her weight. He said people need " Accountability" once you have to be accountable for your actions then and only then will you do something. And I was like AMEN! He used other words but thats more or less how I remembered it People tell me I have amazing willpower but its NOT true! I have cheated all the way, skipped exercise.But I would come to my senses and start again.I've eaten stuff that would make some of you cringe with fear lol . I think for me being accountable to someone else has been the best help Ive had.
It's embaressing to some of us to have our spouse weigh us. But its a good thing cause you cant lie then! I would never ever step on a scale in front of my husband until now. I would ask him toweigh me and I wouldnt peek at the scale.
So everyone reading this : DONT USE THE " I HAVE NO WILLPOWER" thing ! Willpower comes and goes. I hear people I know say all the time " I want to be thin, do you think I like being this weight?" Remember wants and needs are totally different. And we usually dont get what we want but we can always get what we need ...if we want it bad enough lol .
That's all folks !

Gen
Old 12-03-2002, 11:56 AM   #62  

Gennel, what you said really makes sense. I was sitting here saying to myself, "Oh No. I don't have any need to lose weight. It's not affecting me in anyway except how I look." Then I remembered how my knees and feet feel when I'm on them for a long day. And how hard I'm breathing after walking up a flight of stairs quickly. How heart disease runs in my family and how being heavy increases my risk. And that's just my physical health. How does my emotional health suffer when I'm too embarrassed to go out and do the things that I love, when I don't like my own body? What an eye-opener! You and "Dr. Phil" just boosted my motivation even further.

Jen
238/235/140
Old 12-03-2002, 12:26 PM   #63  

Default Reasons Why

Jen, I hear ya loud and clear girl. When Iwas heavier I Totally stopped any yardwork. It was too hot and I couldnt stand the heat for more than 5 minutes.IT was too much work planting flowers in my yard and this only took like 30 minutes of work at the most! But I could'nt put all my weight on my knees for 2 minutes cause my legs would go numb with pain. I couldnt bend all the way down cause my stomach was in the way. And deep down inside hating the way I looked was more important than my future health problems. I didnt have the high blood pressure,in fact my blood pressure has been too low at times. If I drink grapefruit juice I feel dizzy about to pass out,since it is known that grapefruit juice helps lower high blood pressure. I didnt have heart problems, just easily fatigued . I remember being able to be in the mall for 3-5 hours and not getting tired! At my heaviest I could survive the mall for more than 35 minutes! Now I am the last one that wants to leave the mall. My husband and kids are like Mom let's go homeplease! lol
I would have to say the two main things I love about the weight loss is how good I feel and how I look. Not being out of breath or being tired in a short period of time.My girls are truly proud of me and so Is my hubby. That means so much to me.

Gen
Old 12-03-2002, 12:43 PM   #64  

Default Keep me in Your Prayers Ladies

Well today Ive been posting away here. I dont know if you folks remember I mentioned we were getting a house ? Well it's really taking a toll on my husband and me. This was something that issuppose to take 1 month to a closing. Well the first bankwe went through really doesnt specialize in construction loans but we went through the process anyway. After a month or more of that they finally told us it couldnt be done. I felt horrible. We finally found a friend's cousing who is a loan officer for a well known bank. We were approved within 24 hrs,not Pre-approved lol But totally approved. Well this has been 2 months now ,our papers have been at the Underwriters since like 9 days ago. It doesnt take this long to close ,I'm sorry! It takes no more than 72 hours to get a closing date. Well we are still waiting. To make matters worse the Builder called us and told us that our deadline for the loan had passed and the price was now $2,000 more
I cant blame them we started this whole thing like 4 months ago I think. Builders always boost the price every 2 months or so.
I hate not having control of things like this . We're totally helpless at this point. It's like waiting for someone else to pick up our papers and decide they are gonna work that day and get this loan to a close! Without a closing date this week I dont see how the builder would change his mind.I have to leave this in God's hands . This is stress beyond belief.My kids have their dream room intheir thoughts. The worst thing is everybody keeps asking " Any word yet on the house?" " Whats going on? Why is it taking so long?" I cant explain to anyone. If I say I dont know,or I dont wantto talk about it ,then I get more questions ..ugh! Well now that I got that off my chest I can leave lol

Gen
Old 12-03-2002, 01:00 PM   #65  

I am sorry to hear all of your troubles Gen! I told my hubby I will never buy another house again. I had a nervouse break down while we were buying ours. I hate that helpless feeling. I just wish we could all do our own paper work and that would make everything go so much smoother. I hope you feel better letting it out to us. I will keep you in my thoughts!
Old 12-03-2002, 02:33 PM   #66  
READY~ SET~ GO!!!

Talking I caught Dr. Phil too.

I agreed with every thing he said. We may say we don't mind being big or try to talk ourselves into it but the truth is if you are even thinking about losing weight then you are not happy with your weight. Willpower kicks in after a few weeks of sticking to a diet after that(at least for me) it just makes sense not to over indulge. Why risk gaining back the weight you just lost. I just hope I can stick to maintaining once I lost the next 50 pounds. That is my hard part but I think by gaining so much of it back I truly appreciate the loss so much more. I just hope it isn't like quiting smoking. It took 3 times before it stuck for me!!! AAAHHH!!! No, I will do it for good this time.

I got my elliptical today.
Old 12-03-2002, 04:56 PM   #67  

Default Lunch Break

I've been reading posts during my lunch break. I'm eating what originally was intended to be soup, but after I put the rice in, I got distracted and ended up leaving it in the crockpot for about 5 more hours. Oops! Not too soupy. Doesn't taste bad, though. No fat in it. Just veggies, brown rice and some seasoning.
What have I heard? It take 21 days to make something a habit. As far as morning work-outs go, I only have 20 days left! Thanks to my 11-year-old (well, tomorrow she'll be 11) I got up in time to do my 1-mile walking video. I would never have done it if she hadn't come into my room at 6:01 this morning. When I said I wasn't going to get up yet, she said, "Yes you are! We're going to work-out together, remember?" And we did!
Ate some Peanut M&M's that I didn't need, but other than that, it's a great day. Drinking plenty of water. My brain seems to be working exceptionally well. Could be there's something to all the hype excersizing gets!

Jen
238/235/140
Old 12-03-2002, 05:23 PM   #68  

sending you some good vibes Gen, hope your house issues are settled soon. Its so frustrating to be held up by someone else's inactivity.
I am so envious you have Dr Phil's show- it hasn't screened here yet. I would always try to have lunch at home on a Tuesday so I could see him on Oprah. He talks a lot of good old fashioned common sense.

Old 12-03-2002, 07:10 PM   #69  

Hello, I hope everyone had a great holiday. I pretty much took the entire weekend off. Ate too much and exercised too little. But as of yesterday, I'm back on the wagon. I'm up 1 pound but I don't know if it's water or what. I'm glugging away on my water right now. Gen, I know what you mean about buying a house, we bought ours in 2001 and it was a suopreme pain. So much stress!! And yesterday dh asks how I'd feel about buying a new house or building instead of doing some work we've been planning on this one. Ack! The thought of building IS appealing though. There's this land I've got my eye on.... Anyway, all three kids have been taking turns being sick this last week. The baby has been a monster for two days now and I'm about to pull out my hair in frustration. If she's not being held, she's screaming. My baby doesn't cry, never has, she SCREAMS till you think your eardrums will bleed. So, I've got to get back to my crazy life now. Take care everyone.
Old 12-03-2002, 11:59 PM   #70  
Sarcasm Queen

Hello everyone,

Gen: I can see how frustrating it is for you. Especially when you have done all you can and all you are doing now is waiting for those weirdos to get off their butts. I think you should harass them... but that's just me. Whenever it bugs you... you should give'em a call and tell'em to get your paperwork done... and if they are not there, cuz you're pissed at 2am... leave a message or two. But eventually things will work out. I just hope you can stand it without pulling out your hair. Everything's going to be alright.

Jen: It's good that your daughter is so helpful. It's fun to her, so it might be fun for you... later. But if she is your alarm clock (and walks in at 6:01am everyday) you can't fail! Muck luck!

Angie: I'm still in awe of you losing the weight the first time. I always feel like the journey is too long to wait. How long did it take you the first time to reach your goal weight? You have such focus and dedication. It's amazing that you're doing it again.

Laney: I'm sorry to hear about your children being sick. But this is cold season... And I'm sorry that your baby screams until your ears bleed. My mom told me that I never cried and that I was real quiet and stuff. Lucky her eh? I wish you luck on choosing which method you would like to take, building or renovating.

As for me, I did indeed throw away the battery (10 minutes ago). I have no idea where it landed and I threw it so hard I lost my footing and almost fell smack down in the snow. Which would have been embarassing cuz some guy was watching. But I screamed into the night, "I want my life back!!" and threw the battery. Okay... it wasn't that dramatic... I was out there in my slippers and T-Shirt and windpants while everyone else is bundled like a blizzard hit town. I kinda wispered the whole, "i want my life back thing" and then launched it and nearly fell... lost my slipper in the snow and found it upside down grabbed it, slipped it on.. and limped back cuz my foot was real cold. So nothing dramatic... none of that Braveheart "You can take my life.. but you can never take... MY FREEDOM."

Eh...

I actually lost weight before once. I went from a size 18 to a 14 in 6 weeks... and I did it without a scale. So screw the scale... I'm going by clothing size, cuz I am NOT buying another battery. Yup... I'm cheap!

Much love and luck to everyone!!!!!!

~Sahvara
Old 12-04-2002, 08:33 AM   #71  
RonaldMcDonald's LuvChild

Good morning, buddies. COLD in New Englad - feels like real winter is here. Phhht. I would hibernate all winter and not go out of the house once before mud season if I could. In fact, that's what I did last winter - didn't go out for two months. Stocked up on food and spent every day reading and playing on the computer. (Any wonder I put on 15 pounds last winter alone? ROFL)

Jen - you always bring up interesting points - you're obviously a deep thinker or you just happen to hit hot spots that get ME thinking.

Wrinkles - I don't imagine at OUR advanced age that wrinkles from weight loss are a real threat - the face seems to tighten right back up and I think that you'll agree that you'd rather have a laugh line or two than chubby cheeks. If I pinch under my chin(s) I feel fat not extra skin. Keep your skin moisturized and you'd minimize any wrinkles, too.

Funny you mentioned the 1 mile walk. I waited for BB to get home last night so I could walk with him before supper. That isn't working out - we were sniping at each other on Monday night - me trying to rush him along and him trying to get everything done before he was ready to walk. Meanwhile I have supper half done and I was trying to get the timing down to fifteen minutes of cooking while we walk.

So last night we decided to walk after we ate. Much more relaxing to eat when dinner is ready. BUT we didn't want to walk right after we ate - didn't want to get a cramp and drown (kidding!) but I am NOT a night person - I would go to sleep at 8:30 every night if it didn't mean I was up 4 am! So he comes in around 7:30 (I was reading under the covers LOL) and says, "Wanna go for a walk?" I tried to beg off. Then I said I gotta stick to this - if I quit, he'll quit. So we did the mile tape.

It went easier for the first time - getting a burn with the weights but they feel a little lighter! Hurray!

Hungry? Have some chicken noodle soup - fills you up and a whole can is only 150 calories.

Have a great Wednesday, buddies!
Old 12-04-2002, 09:01 AM   #72  
READY~ SET~ GO!!!

Hi Sahvara,

I lost 135 pounds in just under 12 months. I did all the same things I am doing now except I worked out for 1.5 hours every day. I don't want to do that much this time so I am only doing 40-50 minutes everyday now. I remember I started because we went to a family Christmas party and I had the worst cold ever and I was so fat. I said I am sick of this..I am sick all the time and my legs rub,etc. I started my diet on January 3 and everyday while I excersized I would picture myself walking into the family Christmas party next year all skinny in a pair of tight jeans and a half sweater. I hit my goal about a week before the party and I went in at 130 pounds. I must say a few jaws hit the floor.But then Christmas eve came and I made cookies with the kids and I ended up bingeing on them. Then I was a good girl until the weekends but the pattern of messing up on Saturdays started and the weight came back slowly until this summer when I was not aloud to walk my dog around town so I just gave up exercising and it came back quickly then.( I was aloud to walk him on the 4 wheeler trails but we saw coyote tracks and I said that is enough for me!!! LOL)

I have every intention of not gaining it back this time. I just need to remember how bad I felt while I was gaining it all back. and how bad 265 feels.
Old 12-04-2002, 09:03 AM   #73  

Default I had to laugh ...

Sahvara,reading your post this morning. I could picture the whole thing in my mind lol. knowing me I would throw the battery as far as I could throw it . Then run back a few minutes later thinking to myself "Where did I throw it! I need that damn battery ! " lol
My first computer was a COMPAQ . Everything you can imagine that could go wrong with a computer ,happened! I changed internet service but always had the same problems! IT was the computer from ****. IT wasnt just mine my family also owned Compaq computers and so did my daughter. I always said that when I bought another computer I would drag out my Compaq and beat it to death with a metal bat I have here . Well the day came! It was my birthday and my husband bought me a new computer! I was thrilled but my first question was " Where did you put the Compaq?" He took it outside and passed me the metal bat! I wacked and wacked and wacked that Compaq senseless! I finally stopped when tiny chips were flying all over the place and hit me lol. I kept saying " Die! Die! Die! lol.
Can you imagine how much Isuffered with that computer? ROFL
My hubby's a network administrator and computers are his life. Whenever anyone calls him with computer problems he always asks them "I'll go and take a look at it as long as its not a compaq." For those who do own aCompaq and havent had problems I say Lucky You! BUt it wasnt the case for me,or my neighbor or my relatives either
I'm gonna try and change my avatar to a Christmas Photo we all took with Santa this past weekend. I actually wore a plaid mini with a tight turtleneck! We all had red turtlenecks on and my husband wore his very first black turtleneck. He feels suffocated in things like that lol .
ttyl,Gen
Old 12-04-2002, 09:13 AM   #74  
READY~ SET~ GO!!!

I want to tell you all about my experience on an elliptical last night. HA HA. We went and bought it yesterday and my husband put it together before work so after work I just went in and started exercising on it. I did 10 minutes and I thought I was going to die...I was breathing so hard and my chest and throat was burning. I get off it and do 15 minutes on the bike and then get back on the elliptical to do 5 more minutes. When I get off I am sick again and looking yucky. The dogs come running over to me like" MOM what is wrong with you???"They jumped in my lap and everything. I was bowing down to Gen and Kina right about then!!!! Hubby comes home and we start playing with it. I do 5 more minutes on the heartrate program and it says my heart rate is at 190 when it should be 130,I was thinking how the **** do they do this machine every day!! So we start to... READ THE MANUAL key words here. DUH!!! I didn't set the resistance on the screen I was working out on 7 or 8 out of 10 being the hardest. I feel so stupid right now but I thought you all would get a giggle out of my numbness. It is set on 1 now and I think I will work my way up slowly. HA HA
Old 12-04-2002, 09:22 AM   #75  

Default Wow Angie!

I can imagine the faces when you walk in at a slim 130! OMG That is awesome. I know the yucky feeling when you're overweight. It seemed for me that more people would comment how fat I'd gotten . And maybe half commented when I lost all the weight! Those people saw me from a size 18 jeans to a size 6 jeans and were like " Hi,how's everything ?" lol Something just clicks in your brain and there is no stopping us! My 6 yr old's teacher asked how my thanksgiving was and I answered " It was great,in fact it was so good I think I gained 2-3 lbs! " Ahhh ! she replied you'll lose it right away" I told her it took me 8 months to lose it and she didnt know what I meant. She asked if I had lost a lot of weight and I told her " If you would have seen me in Feb. you would not have recognized me. She had to see it to believe it so I brought my little home made weightloss album. She gasped and said it couldnt be me in the picture. She thought the after picture was of me years ago lol. I told her that kids can be the cruelest ,like my daughter's classmates from last year.There were a few times whenI picked her up that she was upset over some kid saying her mom was fat. Well that same kid saw me this year and had the funniest look in his face lol. Imagine a 6 yr old purposely with his eyes crossed and looking like he had an itchy nose while he asks me " Are you (bleep's ) mom? " I said yeah. He scratched his head looks me up an down and says " Hmm, you look different ? " That is one of my favorite stories

well , Im off to get dressed and go to the gym . Oh by the way I weighed myself and I think I gained 0.5 lbs. so I'm back to 129.5. Woopie , I thought there was major damage done after all the eating I did in thanksgiving!
ttyl,Gen
Closed Thread