Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-30-2010, 01:25 PM   #16  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softykins View Post
Alright, I will reduce my calories. But is there anything else you guys can recommend, which worked for you?
mkroyer, I'm not a food tracking fanatic, no. But I can work on that too. lol
I agree with Glory on this one. I'm not much of a food tracker either, but there are times I still fall back on it. I was strict for the first few months because really, our eyeballs are lousy. Lousy!!

I needed something sustainable, and it sounds like you do too. I don't even journal because I know that if there comes a day I decide I don't feel like journaling, then BAM, I'll throw the whole thing out! And that day would come. So I like to eat 6 mini meals of equal caloric value. If you did 2000 calories that would be about 330 calories per "meal". That way I never had to count more than 330. It has worked really well for me.

Other suggestions? Calories and exercise have been pretty much the key to my success. You've got the exercise down. I can tell you that weight loss tends to be 80% diet and 20% exercise. You can not exercise away bad eating. (Not that you're trying to. I'm just throwing stuff out there.) It took me a while to figure that one out.

I have learned some tricks along the way, but they're highly personal, targeted specifically to my personality. For instance, I learned that weighing daily was the way to go for me. It has helped me to obsess LESS, the opposite of the advice typically given. So I weigh and track my weight every single day. Another trick I have used is that I committed to being on plan each and every day for an entire year. I did that because one of my problems has always been giving up because the weight was too slow. I got really curious about where I could be if for one year I just didn't give up. It got me nearly 80 pounds. That was the best thing I ever did toward weight loss. I learned to love, really LOVE, exercise. I joined a spin class and am a die hard spinner now. I learned that I thrive in the class environment, and I'm like a dog...I work so hard for "treats". LOL! I love the "atta girls" that come my way from my instructor.

But tricks aside, it's really about calories in vs. calories out.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:25 PM   #17  
Token rooster

Height: 6'2

You trainer is off track!

As other people have said, your calorie count is too high. I think you need to focus on lower calorie filling foods. For right now I'd shoot for 2000 calories a day based primarily on whole grains, lean meats, and lots and lots of fruits and veggies.
matt_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:49 PM   #18  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I just wanted to add that those calculations are based on averages and estimates usually on normal-weight people. Many folks believe that those calculations just don't apply to people who have become overweight or obese and who aren't binge eaters.

You are not going to go into any "starvation mode" on 2000 calories a day. I wouldn't worry about that. If you'd like a better calorie target, see a registered dietitian who specializes in weight loss and obesity.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:27 PM   #19  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
you take your current weight and times that by 11. The number you get means that you eat that amount in calories per day to maintain your current weight. Now if you take your goal weight and times that by 11, that will give you the amount you should be eating to reach that goal. My first goal is 280, so: 280 x 11 = 2800 calories per day.
Yes, those calculators and little thing a ma jigs don't work when you reach a certain weight. Unfortunately, people are very ignorant spreading around the info when it comes to obese and super morbidly obese folks. Besides, it really is an individual thing, what works for one, won't necessarily work for another.

2800 calories is way on the high side.

You're also eating very calorie dense foods. Quinoa, salmon, avocado. If you're off with your measurements just a tad, you have taken in even more calories than you think, more than the 2800 that you've been shooting for.

I'd make certain that you are accurately measuring those items as well as oil, peanut butter and nuts and other high calorie foods items.

If your measurements are a bit off on for instance cauliflower, it's not a huge difference. One cup of cauliflower has 48 calories, so if it's really a cup and a quarter, you're only off by 12 calories. But if you're eating peanut butter and are off by a tablespoon, that's an additional unaccounted for 100 calories. Quinoa? You're off by a half cup, that's an additional 135 calories. Little things add up.

Since you are cutting back on the calories, so as not to be hungry, I'd add in some more voluminous foods - such as piles and piles of roasted veggies, large stir-frys, thick hearty veggies soups, enormous salads. I wouldn't worry all that much about getting that fat in, as your trainer suggests. I'd focus on that volume. Filling power and pure chewing satisfaction.. Very important to me.

Please don't be daunted by all these numbers. Once you get the hang of it, it's quite simple. Really. It will take some time though.

It sounds like a little hard work doesn't scare you though! Sounds like you're up for the task. You are SO going to do this.

I look forward to hearing of your progress.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 11-30-2010 at 05:45 PM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:52 PM   #20  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
You are not going to go into any "starvation mode" on 2000 calories a day. I wouldn't worry about that. If you'd like a better calorie target, see a registered dietitian who specializes in weight loss and obesity.
Jay
I second this advice. Just like going to a good trainer can help you get started in the right way and amount to exercise (saving you time and effort from not only trial and error but possible injuries), going to someone who has real experience with nutrition and weight loss (esp someone who has worked with people who have larger amounts to lose), can help steer you faster and more efficiently in the direction you want to go.

good luck with everything! and congrats on what sounds like a great start
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:33 AM   #21  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

What works for me is:

Being a calorie fanatic - I weigh and track absolutely everything.
Drinking a lot of plain water - I keep a 6oz glass in the bathroom, and every time I go, I top up again.
Not eating processed muck - 99.99% of the time it's healthy, wholefood stuff, and meals made from scratch.
Weighing daily - once a day, after bathroom. It keeps me focussed and, even more importantly, it is teaching me about fluctuations over which I have no control. It helps me focus more on the things I Can control.
Saying no to unexpected food - if anyone offers me a cake, cookie, whatever, the answer is always no thankyou.
Reading and posting here - it keeps me focussed on days when I want to throw in the towel.

Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:21 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 319/307/145

Height: 5'8"

A special thank you to all the ladies and gentleman that replied to my
post. I really appreciated all of your warm wishes and your insights.
I love knowing that there are so many amazing people here to always
come back to.
I'm determined to get this right, so I will begin lowering my calorie intake!

Thank you again!!!!
Softykins is offline   Reply With Quote