What will be different this time around?

• Hi all, hope everyone has a nice Thanksgiving!

I'm sitting here wondering why i think that WW will be different when i start this Sunday other than learning the new plan! I've done it SO many times, stuck with it, didn't stick with it, kinda did it, stopped doing it and so on! Lost then gained, then stayed the same....you know what i mean!

I guess the point of this thread is i'm wondering how all of you with such awesome weight loss do it! I remember last time i joined last year i stuck with the program to the crumb and didn't lose an ounce, keep sticking with it and still was at a plateau. How long have you plateaued before. Do i just keep going forward with the plan?

I think stress has alot to do with it as well. Trying to be more relaxed and less stressed but it's hard.
  • Do i just keep going forward with the plan?

Yes. NEVER GIVE UP.

This time will be different only if you don't give up. Everything is up to you.

BTW, sorry, but I dislike your user name in two ways . 1) You need to be positive. 2) Its not a "diet".
  • I know, someone else said that but i don't know how to change it lol! I do know it's a way of life....thanks
  • If I've learned nothing else here, I have learned one incredibly valuable lesson: we can't control results, but we can control the things that give us results.

I can't make my body decide to lose at a steady rate; in fact, right now it's holding onto extra pounds for the usual female reason. But I CAN control my food choices, my portion sizes, my exercise, and my environment, so that's what I'm going to do until my body decides to catch up and get with the program.

If you're doing everything right for yourself, you are being successful. The scale may not reflect it right away, but you are succeeding. If it's an especially long plateau, you may want to revise your plan in some way--but that is still not failure, that's just recharting your course.

I don't yet have "awesome weight loss." I've dropped a dozen pounds in my first month and now my scale's been stuck for five days. But so what? I have been doing everything right, so I know it'll pay off in a week or so, probably with a nice big "whoosh" of weight loss. My staying on plan completely since the day I decided to start it is my success story--the results are bound to follow.
  • This time is different because:
    • I have a goal not a "lose some weight" vague target
    • I have actually decided to get healthier, not just thinner. I've lost weight many times by abusing diet plans to suit my candy-driven lifestyle. Doctors have only ever asked me to get thinner before, and only then to meet silly criteria to do with limiting funding, like you can't have this treatment with a BMI over 32 not because it won't work but because we won't pay for it.
    • I'm not on a crazy program, I'm eating real food regularly
    • I've owned up to it, I've come on here and said here I am I am this much overweight
    • I am judging success by more than the dial on the scale, never mind the plateau, I stuck by my plan, I stuck by my plan, I stuck by my plan. Plateau is better than gain, isn't it? If I stick with my plan for a year and lost nothing I'll be 184lbs, if I go back the way I was in a year I'll be 240lbs - which is better? You have to think more than a week ahead.
    • When you really mean it, it happens. I've lost a lot and kept it off before for a long, long time, only gaining when I got married and forgot that I can't eat as much as a 6' man and think I won't get fat!
    • I'm actually widening my diet. Rather than lament that all the slimmer cookbooks are full of meals I can't eat I'm learning to eat the stuff that is in them.
    • I really want this. Previously I have wanted it one day and then the next day gone back to not minding what happens, then the next day wishing I wasn't fat then the next day thinking oh well at least I'm not ___lbs, eh?
    • I'm getting a lovely new body from the plastic surgeon, why let it get all saggy? I've always thought there's no point getting skinny because I still look weird and lumpy and bumpy because of my scars holding flesh in rolls regardless how skinny I get. Next year that is coming off.
    • I have a young daughter. She will not see or remember fat mummy.
    • I have to fit back into my wheelchair. Good wheelchairs cost thousands, I can't spend £2,600 on a cute wheelchair then grow out of it and have to buy another one, I don't have another £2,600 - strangely enough!
    • When I get done this time I am buying NICE clothes, not smaller tents.
  • Just take it one day (or one meal) at a time and don't think too far into the future. For a lot of us with lots of weight to lose, it's going to be a long process. Although it's important to have the long term goal in mind, only thinking about the final result will make things too daunting.

Also, if something isn't working, keep trying different things until you find a method that works. Having said that, nothing comes fast so give whatever plan you are on at least a month or so before decided whether it's effective.
  • Quote: If I've learned nothing else here, I have learned one incredibly valuable lesson: we can't control results, but we can control the things that give us results.
    This is excellent. Thank you all for the tips, and i'm really excited about the weekly meetings again. I'm one that really needs to hear that leader. I'm no longer going to look ahead but be in the moment. I stressed way too much last time on what i didn't lose each week. And your right, a plateau IS much better than a gain.