3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   How do you properly measure yourself? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/217891-how-do-you-properly-measure-yourself.html)

ksmommy 11-21-2010 08:51 AM

How do you properly measure yourself?

In an effort not to go postal on the weight scale, I've decided to start measuring myself. Should have been doing this. Last week I weighted in at 210. My normal weight day is Sunday morning right after I wake up, after I use the bathroom. Today the damn scale, had the same friggin' number it had last week. Yes, I did have a little detour from my diet this week (see my previous post).I really really pushed myself this week. Refusing to take the elevator at work if I had to go less than 3 stairs up and would walk any amount downward. Worked out every night. Even if it wasn't for a long time, I made sure to do some type activity for at least 20 mins. Cardio, walking, jogging in place. I was so excited to get on the scale today. I mean I SEE my collarbone for the first time in years. Definitely wasn't there two weeks ago. I even tried to poke my shoulders out and suck in my shoulder to see it. (yes I really do do things like that). And I'm starting to see the shape of my face, not just round. And i just KNEW i had lost another pound or two. No. Nada. Nothing. Not even a oz. Same weight to the friggin decimal. *end rant*

So..........how do I properly measure myself? Because I refuse to believe there's been no change all this time. With clothes on? off? help.

ksmommy 11-21-2010 09:10 AM

I feel like I'm just going to be fat forever. I need a hug.

islandchick1 11-21-2010 09:23 AM

:hug:
By working out you are shedding fat and building muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat. Use the tape measure as your guide. I have come V~E~R~Y close to throwing my scales out in the middle of the road to see just how many pieces it would break into :lol: Hang in there. It WILL move.

I weigh and measure every SAT. I go to my mom's so she can take the measurements, then we record them. I measure neck, bust, waist, hips, thigh, calf, bicep, and forearm. Hope this helps :)

Rana 11-21-2010 10:02 AM

I measure too when the scale stops moving.

You should also take note of your clothes/rings/shoes. I only measure waist and hips and chest and those weren't moving either, but I started noticing that my rings were getting loose!

I didn't even realize my hands were that fat (I have small hands, I didn't realize they could get smaller)!

I also noticed my thighs fitting better in pants (or having those pants be so loose the pants don't look good anymore) or boots fitting better over my calves.

Shmead 11-21-2010 10:44 AM

I firmly believe that weight loss lags a week or two behind fat burn: whenever you burn fat, your body holds on to that much water for a week or so and then readjusts--except sometimes it holds on for more or less time. This explains why people go "off plan" and still lose weight--they really lost the fat the week before. Unfortunately, this makes people think they can go off plan for a week without consequence.

As far as measuring goes, I've found that I do bloat up some in the evenings, so I always measure early and naked.