Hating myself today

• So i got up this morning and i thought with starting the gym full force again i should know my exact weight. I've been 202 unfortunately forever now, heaviest in 3 years and when i got on it was 206. I wanted to throw up. It seems when i start watching what i eat i gain. I do know that i had ALOT of salt yesterday and can feel it in my sausage fingers right now. I'm hoping by tomorrow it's down from retention as i also did weights and drank alot of water yesterday.......help me come down from the ledge friends

I'm devastated today....
  • It's most likely the salt, don't worry. Do you weigh every day? If you do, you aren't going to see a steady down drop every day. Some days I'm way higher than I should be, for whatever reason. I just shrug it off, go exercise, eat right, then hop on the next day, and more often than not I'm very pleased. Also, as weird as it is, the last time I had a HUGE gain that I thought couldn't possibly be from water, I had a huge WOOSH the next morning. It was weird.

Also when I know I've eaten a bit too much salt I just try to drink as much water as possible to wash as much out of my system as I can before weigh-in.

Don't get discouraged, it's just one day. Just pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and give it your best today. You might be surprised the next time you weigh. <3
  • My 2 cents... you need to have a realistic and more down to earth understanding of what your body is doing and so that it doesn't affect how you feel every day.

IF you can't... because even sometimes I can't handle it and I've been on this path for a long time now... you have to stop looking at the scale and start counting the things/actions that get you on a healthier path.

The scale doesn't judge you. That number doesn't mean anything. What does matter is what you'll eat for breakfast today, the lunch you'll pick, the snacks, the dinner and the exercise. Yesterday is gone and all you can do is focus on today.
  • If 4 pounds has you at the ledge, your problems are more than just your weight.

Stay away from the scale until next week and just worry about what you can control - your activities like hanging out with friends and having fun, your food, your water, your exercise (and your user name. Distraught Dieter? Maybe change your name to something a little less depressing to look at every time you log on.)

Maybe do something in service of others to shift your perspective and take the focus off your weight - like go to the grocery store and buy some healthy canned goods and pastas and donate them to the food bank.
  • You're absolutely right. Water and salt mean instant weight. But take heart in the fact that a day of very careful eating and the water will kindly leave. I am also very susceptible to water weight gain. 145 yesterday, 148 today. After a heavily spiced and salty meat dish last night. Unfortunately, the water will drop off at most inconvenient times!
  • Maybe today recognize all your body DOES for you - and not hammer it so much. When you pass someone who is not able to get around, appreciate that you GET to exercise. Instead of thinking of "sausage fingers" appreciate that they can hold a loved one's hand, caress a face, massage a sore muscle. If a friend told you that she was up four pounds would you hammer her the way you do yourself? Treat yourself with kindness - it's human to be frustrated at things that we struggle to control, so no guilt there, but step back a little and smile at yourself in the mirror. Head into the weekend on a positive note.
  • You said with starting back at the gym full force, it's time to know your exact weight. You said you had been 202 for a long time, but when was the last time you had checked it before the 206? Who knows, you might have been up to 208 or 210.

I think you made the right move getting on the scale to see where you are starting from now that you are back on track. If you had been going strong for several more weeks, THEN decided to get on the scale to see 202, you would have lost, but thought you stayed the same.

I'm glad you now know where you stand! Now you can lay off the scale for a little while (I would suggest at least a week), and then you can tweak your plan as needed.

But CONGRATS on taking that step to know exactly where you are!
  • When I first started I did not get on the scale for the first month. I think you might consider that. Now you have a start weight, and yes, I know you didn't just start. But maybe keep doing what you're doing and weigh again in a month.

As long as you are being honest with yourself about calorie intake, and from the other thread it sounds like you, then there is no reason you shouldn't lose given time. Exercise really throws some of us for a loop. Take heart in that. It really isn't just you.
  • For that very reason, I don't weight myself daily. When I first started I was so neurotic, weighting myself in the morning and again at night, comparing numbers. From Tuesday to Monday, my weight would be different and I would freak. I would exercise and immediately weight myself, then of course freak out again! That was before I understood about weight fluctuations and different factors that will cause it to happen. Now I only weight myself weekly, at the same time, same day. I rather see the TREND of me losing, than worry about what my body is doing instantly day to day. Try not to fret, dear, you will be fine. Give yourself a pep talk, I agree with an above poster, it's just one day. Who knows what tomorrow or next week will hold for the scale. As long as you're diligent and consistent with maintaining excercise and dieting, all will be well.
  • I was where you are yesterday!

Almost got there again today.

However, I just took a deep breath and decided it was ok. I know exactly where I "messed up" this week, so of course it is going to reflect badly. However, and I am not sure if this would be the case with you, but I decided to measure this morning (not a scheduled measure date) and my waist and hips are both down 3 inches and and I am wearing a pair of pants that I have not worn in a year.

So like the above posters have mentioned, do not let the scale number bother you as much, it is just a number. If you are hitting the gym hard and in full force again, then you are retaining water probably. Give it a few days and measure.

Good luck!
  • Hey follow Bostoner,

You got lots of comments telling you exactly why that result happens. They speak the truth.

Please hang in there. Its tough, I'm going through something similar right now.
  • I'm with nationalparker. We get so caught up in all the things that are "wrong" (for loss of a better word), that we forget to count our blessings. Appreciate your body for all it does for you everyday, then treat it like the gift it is.
  • OH my DON'T be discouraged.....WE can do this...you and I are the same height...except I am now at my highest I have EVERY been 245lbs....well 243 now but look not EVERY day is going to be awesome, wonderful, etc...

We all live REAL lives with REAL daily struggles and victories.

Today IS indeed a new day...just focus on today...we can't take back yesterday and we have no idea what tomorrow brings.

We have been blessed with this moment...let's live it to it's best and choose to be healthy in THIS moment we have

HUGS HUGS HUGS HUGS
  • Your all right, I've been pretty good about not complaining too much as my father is extremely sick and would love extra lbs. right now. It really does put things into perspective....thank you.

I just get so frustrated, even when i was doing things perfectly the lbs weren't dropping. Inches were slightly but even friends and family said they couldn't believe how much i do and don't really drop sizes. I know, i just need to hop back on the wagon and get serious, best time is before the holidays to keep me in check when they come. I keep telling myself that the holidays are not worth the after effects so i tend to stay true during them.
  • Remember to drink LOTS of water- exercising can make you retain water at first- keep drinking to flush it out.